Courier pickup options for sellers in Canada?

Does anyone have experience with courier package pickup options for sellers in Canada?

I'd like to package and address small items sold on eBay, then have a courier pick up the package from a plastic tote box outside my front door, weigh it, notify me of cost by e-mail, then bill credit card or prepaid balance after getting my ok, then ship it instead of me driving to the courier's office and standing in line to mail the package. Ideally, the courier could keep pickup costs low by waiting a few days if necessary until they have other pickups and deliveries in the same area.

Canada Post does pickups - but only if the seller is a registered business. I'm looking for a way to get occasional package pickups for private individuals at a reasonable cost.

Any suggestions and discussions of experiences appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As far as I know, any courier that does pickups requires you to already have the labels paid for and attached.

If you're dead set on a solution that meets those requirements, I'd suggest maybe finding a local kid or neighbour that wants a little extra money (and is honest and trustworthy) and hiring them to do the legwork.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I rarely use a courier but if they do pickup you woukd probably be required to print the label online before they pick up.  

I've had parcels left on our doorstep without a problem but I doubt  that I would be comfortable leaving an unsecured tote of packages outside.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

waiting a few days if necessary

This could be the problem.

Shipping from Canada and even withinCanada is nowhere near as speedy as the USA.

I've taken to using the Economy International Shipping option at 15-23 days just to hold off impatient American buyers who will email about delivery four days after shipping.

And I read a dotCOM thread this week from a seller with a buyer who was annoyed that he did not receive his purchase less than 24 hours after purchase.

For the rest.

good cheap fast.jpgYou need a guy with a truck occasionally, who will choose the service  and ship for you. So intelligent, reliable, with appropriate tools.  That's not going to be cheap.

I am old and cranky. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply