First time seller here. Have a few questions.

I have never sold anything on ebay before. 

I created my listing and set it to run for 7 days. We are down to the last 12 hours and im finding it very addictive to watch. Im selling my husbands old cell phone first and we have had over 790 views as of now, have 23 watchers and 13 bids. So we are quite pleased with the way our very first auction is coming to an end. 

Is it true though that I am going to have a 21 day hold on the money that the person will be paying for the phone? We were wanting to make a few extra bucks by selling things that arent getting used here anymore, but having to wait almost a month for the money from it seems a bit long. 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Also going to throw this in there. I was reading that perhaps I may have done the shipping wrong. Just so I know for next time, I posted it with a set shipping price for canadian and for international. I was reading that I should have had a shipping calculator for shipping instead. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Flat-rate or Calculated Shipping is a personal preference, there is no right or wrong there.

You do, however, have to wait 21-days to see your funds released from PayPal.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Also, I have not looked at your listing but you know there’s a vast difference in price between shipping with tracking to the USA for $17 versus shipping with tracking to Russia for like $75? As a first-time seller, you’re going to want tracking to save you from Items Not Received claims.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I would recommend that as a new seller you only ship to Canada & the US until you get more experience.  In Canada use Expedited which has insurance & tracking.  And then send only smaller items to the US by Small Packet Air or Small Packet Tracked & for larger more expensive items Expedited.  Some countries are not worth sending to because it is too expensive & it takes too long to get there or they have problems with their postal system.  Also phones can be a high risk item to sell worldwide.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Also, you cannot ship to Azerbaijan or Zimbabwe for $50 via Tracked Packet. Canada Post only offers Tracked Packet service for a short list of 31 countries and those are not among them. Should you sell to a buyer located in a country not served by Tracked Packet, you'll need to use Air Parcel or Xpresspost or Priority WorldPack at a higher cost than you've charged your buyer and you will have to absorb that additional cost yourself. You cannot turn to the buyer and ask for more money for postage after they have won the auction because you made a mistaken with postage. 

As to the fact that you're selling a blacklisted phone, I have zero idea what that means so perhaps another Community member will comment. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Because of what you are selling and your lack of experience I'd like to suggest that you keep posting here about how the transaction is moving along.

As someone else pointed out above, the item you're selling is often the target for fraud and that combined with your low FB means that you'll be viewed as an easy mark.

If you keep posting as it unfolds other sellers can offer you guidelines about how to avoid the most common pitfalls.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Look at your bidders' (all of them, not just the top ones)  Feedback.

Are any of them from a country you are not comfortable shipping to?

Do they have low or no feedback?

Is there a big gap between the last feedback and this bid?

Do they leave a lot of negative feedback ?
Does much of their feedback say things like "thank you for resolving the problem."?

Those are all signs of scammers.

(If you want details on why, just Reply  and you will get lots of answers.)

You can Cancel any bid you want. Without explanation.

And you have a Blocked Bidders List to keep cancel any future bids from that person.

And you have Seller Preferences which help filter out some scammers and deadbeats.

For future use.

Yes, International in the long run is the way to go, but for the moment Canada and USA are better learning experiences.

When you click on International Shipping, you have a dropdown menu. This allows you to choose only USA or only various other countries.

And you can do that several times.

"Choose custom destination" gives you that menu.

Keep in touch, we're rooting for you.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

When you sell, only ship once you see the payment in your Paypal account.

Do NOT believe any emails, even from eBay or PP about this.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

The previous poster's comment about making sure you check your Paypal account to confirm that you've been paid is very important as cell phone sales do tend to attract dishonest people. If the buyer asks you for your email address so that they can pay you, do not give them your address but tell them they can pay using the ebay checkout. If you give them your email, they may send you a fake email from Paypal saying that you have been paid and to ship out the item. I don't want to scare you from selling here because most buyers are honest but cell phone sellers do seem to have more problems than other sellers.

I am not someone who is generally suspicious of out of the country bidders but I've heard of so many problems with international sales of cell phones.  If it does sell internationally, you may have a problem as you haven't priced your shipping high enough for some countries. As another poster suggested, please come back to the forum and let us know which country you are supposed to ship the phone to.

Now...to answer your question....you should receive your funds approximately 3 days after delivery confirmation shows that the item has been received by the buyer  although you might have to prod Paypal if they don't do that.

Here is some information on that...

https://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/sr?&query=798

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
Flat-rate or Calculated Shipping is a personal preference, there is no right or wrong there.

You do, however, have to wait 21-days to see your funds released from PayPal.

Not if there is tracking. That changed quite a while ago.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Less than five years ago?
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Or only on eBay.com?

I can only speak for my own experience as a seller, starting in May of 2012. I shipped with tracking from listings on eBay.ca and waited 21 days regardless.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I don't know as I don't write down when a change happens but I would guess that it has been around 2 years or so, perhaps longer.  Does it matter?  I do know that I've mentioned it on the boards quite a few times and have posted links to show the time frame for new sellers.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

The link I provided in an earlier post is from .ca

At one time it did only apply if you had tracking with a US carrier and the help pages were specific about that. But as I said that changed quite a while ago.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

It matters to me. You corrected what you believed to be misinformation on my part so therefore I’d like to see the information myself.
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Feel free to share that link again, I’ve not seen it.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I've already posted the link. It was in my first post in this thread.

If I see conflicting information in a thread I usually try to  check the help pages to make sure

that what I believe is correct. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

New seller, quick fb from china, selling "old" (less then year old)  blacklisted (reported stolen or payment defaulted) phone worldwide.  this is why there are payment holds.  Next thread is either unauthorized  payment reversed or snad claimed 

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

yes blacklisted and locked, this will not end well.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply