HST no on all provinces in Canada

Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked the website of RCC The Voice of Retail and noticed Manitoba do not have HST so why the heck does Canada Post/PayPal is charging us HST??  And what percentage of HST for Manitoba?  

I recently published a PayPal label and the invoice comes $11.58  Liability 0.00  HST $1.41 (what percentage?) Fuel 0.71 and Discount $1.47, total is $12.23.  I couldn't figure out the percentage of HST for Manitoba as it is supposed to be zero!!

Are they "stealing" or what?

As for July 1 eBay will start to charge GST?  Very confusing.  Anyone knew?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Manitoba does not have HST but they do have GST (5%)

eBay will be adding GST/HST to their fee invoices. The rate for Manitoba will be 5%.

http://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2017summer/ebay-canada-limited.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Manitoba I have been charged HST (still unknown percentage) by Canada Post/PayPal when I purchased the shipping label.  Is it allowable by Canada Post/PayPal.  I consider it as "stealing" if "HST".

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in Manitoba I have been charged HST (still unknown percentage) by Canada Post/PayPal when I purchased the shipping label.  Is it allowable by Canada Post/PayPal.  I consider it as "stealing" if "HST".

For many shipping choices HST is charged where your BUYER is located.

Then you should stop the "stealing" by registering for GST/HST and get the money back as a tax input.

-..-

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
I recently published a PayPal label and the invoice comes $11.58  Liability 0.00  HST $1.41 (what percentage?) Fuel 0.71 and Discount $1.47, total is $12.23.

Total of 12.23 minus tax of 1.41 equals = $10.82 before tax

1.41 divided by 10.82 gives you a tax rate of 13%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_Canada

-..-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What are the actual words on the invoice?

Does it say GST? or does it say GST/HST?

What does the percentage work out to when you do the math?

Words mean things.

But sometimes on a form, where there is not a lot of room, the form developer will use shortcuts.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

" I have been charged HST (still unknown percentage) by Canada Post/PayPal when I purchased the shipping label.  Is it allowable by Canada Post/PayPal."

Allowed?  Yes.

Legal?  Yes.

That specific subject has been discussed several times on this board over the years.

You need to learn how GST/HST works when it relates to shipping services offered by Canada Post.  Some services will charge tax (GST or HST) based on the rate where the goods are shipped from while other services will be charged based on the rate where the goods are shipped to.

It is that simple.

If you take the time to check the Canada Post website, using MB to ON for example, take a look at the amount of tax charged for different services.

A summary of the taxes charged by Canada Post is available from Canada Post website:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=collecting_sales_tax&cattype=kb&cat=general...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

" $11.58  Liability 0.00  HST $1.41 (what percentage?) Fuel 0.71 and Discount $1.47, total is $12.23."

The tax charged was 13% HST.  I guess a parcel going from MB to ON.

Add $11.58 and $0.71, deduct discount of $1.47 and add 13% HST = $12.23

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Also, readers should keep in mind that taxation (HST or GST) varies in some instances depending if you purchase your postage using individual (retail) rates or commercial rates.

That could get tricky in some instances.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It said HST!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Of coursed it will say HST if the rate charged applies to a service where HST applies.  The rate will be based on the province where the service is deemed to be provided.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply