How do I handle a return from USA if I sell on .com?

I have not had a return in a long time. I may be about to have one. I sell on .com so what happens? The buyer says the radio does not work so I assume I am responsible for the return. Does the buyer send it back and I refund him the purchase price and the shipping. I can't purchase a USPS label from Canada can I?

How does this process work in this instance?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I believe you are able to purchase a USPS return label if you use Shippo for your labels. Or you can check USPS to see what the label will cost your buyer and then send him the amount through PayPal Send Money for the return and remember to quote the transaction number in your note. As I haven’t had to do a return, possibly someone else has other ideas and can advise.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Not a direct answer to your question but.....

- If you produce a USPS label via Shippo make sure to clearly indicate on the customs portion that it is a return.

- If you send money to the buyer for shipping (before or after the reurn) make sure to tell them how to clearly mark the shipment as a return.

While it's possible to appeal any customs charges that might be imposed on a return it's extra work that can be avoided. If you are GST registered any taxes would be an ITC but the Canada Post collection charge is NOT recoverable as an ITC like the taxes themselves.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If I make a return label on Shippo do I use the original measurements and weight?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Good question, I guess that depends on whether or not they are able to use the packaging that you sent it in. Technically you are supposed to be able to print a USPS label on Shippo but I have no idea how to do it or know how easy it is.

It might end up to be easier to send them the money through Paypal for the label. If you do that, don't send it with the friends and family function.  Apparently, if the buyer doesn't end up using the money to buy a label and doesn't send the radio back, you can put in a claim in paypal  to recover the return shipping money because the shipper didn't send you the goods (the label).  Ive heard of a couple of sellers recovering their money that way.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply