LORD OF THE RINGS 1969 MIDDLE-EARTH MAP BY PAULINE BAYNES Research Help Sought

Hi. I acquired a lithographed map from the Tolkien era. It's a map printed by Westerham Press Ltd of "Middle-Earth".  It's of high quality and in VG condition. Not being a Lord Of The Rings person I've been trying to find out two things. 

1. Value?

2. Is it a possible "veRo target"?

After doing the research I determined the 1st trade printing was in 1970. It can get pricey.  The artist who was Tolkien's personally authorized artist passed away in 2008. The printer, Westerham Press (UK), closed in 2011. According to Terapeak  three or four 1st trade print issues sold on Ebay last year for $250 to $300 each.  There were a total of 12 trade printings (about one per year). This one I have is the 9th trade printing printed in 1977. That's where I hit a dead end. 

Although the original sources list there were 12 trade printings in all I can't find any history of a single sale for #2 through #12.  There may be some on Worthpoint but I cancelled my subscription.  I expect the one I have to be a lower value than the 1st trade printing.  That said it's in VG condition with minor edge and corner wear. There are currently none listed on any platform.  ISBN #0049120026 Measures 20" Wide by 28 3/4" High

Can anyone who may have experience with these maps please advise me on this one?

Thank you!

ITWM

DSCN1119.JPGDSCN9894_1.JPG

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Pauline Baynes was a prolific book and cover illustrator. She also illustrated the Narnia series, the Miss Read series, and the Lillian Beckwith novels. Possibly also Enid Blyton?

That being said, I don't think she was ever collected as an artist, unlike say Rowena Morrill, whose paintings famously were collected by Saddam Hussein. 

I have no idea of the value-- but the buyer is likely to be a Tolkein fan, so put LoTR in the title.

And remember that there is a surcharge for shipping tubes, and the tube is the safest packaging.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hi. Thank you for the background and shipping tip! Odd that there's only sales history for the 1st printing.  It's starting to look like a $49.99+ auction candidate. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply