MANAGED PAYMENTS

Has there been a discussion of how buyers can initiate Disputes under Managed Payments?
Will they only have the 30 days past delivery (or estimated delivery) to open a Dispute?

Sellers would love that.

But, at the moment, buyers can then go to Paypal for 180 days from payment.

Will they still be able to do that?

If they use ApplePay or GooglePay, what are the parameters for opening Disputes?

How will Managed Payments handle credit card chargebacks?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

MANAGED PAYMENTS

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @reallynicestamps - I have some information on this, but I am required to give the following disclaimers:

As someone who is not an expert on managed payments I may not be able to address your question in its entirety. If you have been notified to register for managed payments you are able to request a call back from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page.

The information provided is accurate as of today's date (3 July 2020) but may become outdated in the future. If you are reading this at a later date please consider checking the Help Pages or request a call back from a managed payments teammate who can provide the most up to date information.

With that out of the way there are a few distinctions that, while niggling, are important to cover:

• The eBay Money Back Guarantee (eMBG) isn't going away under managed payments. Return requests and Not Received requests are going to continue to be the primary way in which buyers report issues to you. Those time frames will remain what they are today (30 days from estimated delivery date or actual delivery date, etc). 

• With managed payments a 'payment dispute' will be the blanket term for 'chargeback' - that is, a buyer going to their financial institution (credit card, bank account, PayPal) and claiming unauthorized use, unresolved claims, and so on.

The time to dispute a charge with a financial institution is mandated by that institution and those time lines vary - as a payment processor eBay doesn't have much say in that other than to choose to offer or not offer the payment method as an option to buyers. 

ApplePay and GooglePay are more wallets than financial institutions - you don't necessarily keep a cash balance there as much as you link to other methods of payment. Payment Disputes would follow the timeline set by the card actually used to pay through Apple or GooglePay.

Now, as to how managed payments will handle these disputes:

Wherever possible, we (if contacted by the buyer prior to a dispute being opened) will encourage members to work out a resolution between both parties via the eMBG. It's simpler for everyone to keep it on the eBay site.

Once opened, we will notify you of the dispute and you will be able to review the dispute through eBay. You can choose to accept the dispute and issue a refund or challenge the dispute and provide evidence to support your counter-claim. We will then advocate on your behalf with the financial institution itself.

If you've received a notice to register for managed payments this page will have more detail on it, including seller protections that are offered with Payment Disputes. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS

tyler@ebay 

@reallynicestamps 

Quick follow up question. 

I've seen an assortment of numbers floated around on this so at this point in time no idea what the acceptable amount is. Once an INR has been accepted by a seller, how much leeway is there for an item to be arrive back with the seller(Once it's actually shipped) and the claim being closed one way or another. With Covid delivery/transit times are entirely a lottery (No guarantees) especially between USA and Canada.(Same goes for Canada to Canada). Do they still need to move with a tracked service....Even on lower value items?

Thanks,

-Lotz

PS. It's also been stated that returns were taking longer to process at customs because of handling. Not sure if this is still happening. (As per Chit Chats)

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - not sure if this is related to managed payments or not, but I'm not sure I understand your question. 

If an INR is opened you don't necessarily 'accept' it - you would either provide tracking to prove attempted or actual delivery or issue a refund. 

You have 30 days to appeal a decision if an INR is escalated and found in your buyer's favor. For instance, if you had tracking that showed no updates and lost the INR, but then it started to move again (because of COVID delays) and it ended up getting delivered you should consider contacting CS to review for any appeal options. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS

tyler@ebay 

Yes, this was in regards to managed payments and NAD's. As I understood things, returns had to arrive in a specific timeframe. (Within USA 4 day?)  Not always possible with Covid 19, anything Intl and customs.  Sorry for the confusion.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Yes, this was in regards to managed payments and NAD's. As I understood things, returns had to arrive in a specific timeframe. (Within USA 4 day?)  Not always possible with Covid 19, anything Intl and customs.  Sorry for the confusion.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - if a return request is accepted a buyer does have a certain amount of time to get the item sent back. The exact time changes based on certain aspects of the return (who's responsible for return shipping, can a label be issued through eBay, as examples).

Overall, however, most return scenarios allow the buyer 15 business days to get the item sent back to you. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 6
latest reply