Package Undeliverable Due to Zip Code Error

I shipped a $55 item  by tracked packet to the U.S. on April 1st .... shipping cost $18.50, which is $10 more than I had planned to spend.

I had listed with free shipping to the U.S. and Canada; however, by the time I sold it, I decided I had better ship with tracking, since I had had too many "lost" lettermail items recently for which I had to refund (buyers are very wise now with respect to no tracking number).

Anyway, today I realized that I hadn't followed up on this shipment and was surprised when I tracked it on the USPS website.  A delivery attempt had been made on April 6th but the address was incorrect.  Nothing else showed until today when it indicated that the shipment was "in transit to the next facility".  I don't know what that means but I suspect it's on its way back to me.

I contacted the buyer and provided her with the address I received from eBay.  She said the address was correct but the zip code was wrong ... she didn't seem to understand that eBay would use the zip code she provided to them when she opened her account. 

So, in preparation for what's likely to transpire, am I obliged to refund her the full amount if I shipped to the correct address?  Because shipping was included in the price of the item, can I withhold the shipping cost?  I'm really ticked off because if it's returned, I'm going to have to pay the return shipping, plus perhaps customs fees/GST.  This happened once before .... a package came back as "undeliverable" and the cost to retrieve it from the Post Office was so high, I just left it there, not wanting to throw good money after bad.  I contacted the buyer who didn't respond and eBay took the money out of my account and refunded her.

And if I only refund a portion of the amount, she could leave me my first negative feedback, particularly since she doesn't believe its her error.

Anyone else experience this before?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You shipped to the address provided by eBay and have tracking to show delivery was attempted on that address, you've done everything required by eBay.  If you get the item back and want to issue a refund minus the shipping that's entirely up to you. If you're trying to avoid negative feedback, that's another issue.  eBay may still help you if that happens but it will require more work on your part.

Ian

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You shipped to the address provided by eBay and have tracking to show delivery was attempted on that address, you've done everything required by eBay.  If you get the item back and want to issue a refund minus the shipping that's entirely up to you. If you're trying to avoid negative feedback, that's another issue.  eBay may still help you if that happens but it will require more work on your part.

Ian

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your response .... that makes sense.

As far as the negative feedback is concerned, there's always going to be a first one.  I can live with that.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I'm pretty sure that you could have the NFB removed it it should come to that.  It might take a lengthy phone call but I wouldn't worry put a lot of energy into worrying about it.

Whether or not you choose to issue a refund is up to you, but it sounds like you're home free.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I'm relieved.  I really didn't think that a refund was optional.  But, at best, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to refund the shipping even though I would still be on the hook for the return shipping.  I've been frustrated in the past with certain buyers and transactions, but this one was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I've reached the point where I'm going to start hitting back at buyers who are unreasonable and expect refunds for questionable losses or, in this case, won't  take responsibility for a major error like an address.  I'll remain professional but I'm not going to make it as easy as I have in the past. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Recently had a shipment by Expedited Calgary to Edmonton to a new eBay account. Shipped on Monday...Delivered on Tuesday as per Canadapost tracking. Unfortunately, the customer did not include their suite number so by sounds of things it ended up at the building's office. I received a message from the buyer saying they hadn't received. I responded back immediately with the tracking info. EXCEPT it seems like they were not receiving their messages for some reason. Found this out after the fact. Meantime, couple of days later, package was returned to Calgary postage due. They opened a case which eBay quickly closed because of the tracking details. In my favor. When I tried to explain by calling them, they just wanted their money back and did not want it reshipped to the correct address. They were still defiant they were not receiving my messages?!?!? Hmmmm?? Guess 13.00 was out of their budget. In the end just gave them a partial refund for the item just to get it cleared off the books. This shows what can go wrong when customers are not careful. Always best to google the address prior to shipping. Any questions or concerns? ALWAYS enquire before posting.

-Lotz

PS. After last phone call, they said it was my fault their landlord did not forward to them. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

As a note don't 100% trust what the comments say in the tracking updates, especially on the US side.

I've had several situations like this in the past with misleading updates including several times it says "returning to sender".

In all of the cases it got there ok.

Your situation is a little different because they have to redirect to the right zip code but I suspect they will accomplish that ok.

I strongly suspect the options available for the tracking updates are limited and often don't match what is actually happening, or whoever is manually picking the option is just picking whatever.

Anyway there is a good chance it will still get there, keep your fingers crossed! 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

They opened a case which eBay quickly closed because of the tracking details.

Did eBay have access to the tracking through their records and automatically close or did you have to provide the tracking details to them?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I've had several situations like this in the past with misleading updates including several times it says "returning to sender".

In all of the cases it got there ok.

Your situation is a little different because they have to redirect to the right zip code but I suspect they will accomplish that ok.

That's what I'm hoping but I recently sent a package to Montreal which was returned to me because the postal code did not exist.  This was a shipment to a friend who had just moved into a new development and evidently the new postal code had not yet registered with Canada Post ??  I got it straightened out and re-shipped it with no added expense incurred except for the time on the phone, which was considerable.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the USPS can figure this out and get it to its destination.  Only the last digit of the zip code was wrong, so it's not as though it was addressed to a different part of the state or a different state entirely.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

i only ship to the address provided by paypal,  the one that comes in the email with payment..

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Did you check  Tracking # on CP  , is your Item on way back to you ?

In Transit to next Facility may be lost , it pass 12 days since April 06. 

More you wait , more you loose .

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@pansy19 wrote:

Did you check  Tracking # on CP  , is your Item on way back to you ?

In Transit to next Facility may be lost , it pass 12 days since April 06. 

More you wait , more you loose .

The tracking info is the same on both the CP and USPS websites.  It shows:

April 18, 2019 
In Transit to Next Facility 

It's impossible to talk to anyone at USPS, so I just have to keep monitoring this.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

i only ship to the address provided by paypal,  the one that comes in the email with payment..

That's what I used.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@jt-libra 

Was possibly a bit of both. Either way, they were able to close the case in 30 minutes because of the tracking. Just a bit frustrating to have to be on the hook for return shipping when it was to no mistake I made.

-Lotz

PS. eBay and Canadapost tracking rarely jive 100% of the time. I always check both before advising a customer. I have several delivered shipments that show as delivered in Canadapost but pending/out for delivery in eBay. If eBay was able to use and received feedback a seller has gets that a buyer has received an item and all is officially hunky dory that would be a good start for improving the system especially for untracked shipments. Not a perfect system, but a start.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I had Open Case on Pay Pal  2 weeks ago , the Seller sent wrong Item.

I return Item, provided all Information with Tracking # ......

I checked case status  and showed Review by Pay Pal.

I checked  on PC Site  ,  it was delivered two days ago .

That's I'm asking you  , it may be delivered but not updated in USPS and  CP System  and can stay like that forever .

If the Buyer is not honest   and bar shows as you say ,  even Item is delivered  , EBay  give it Full Refund .  The Buyer can keep both Item & Refund .

You'll see over Holiday what will come out , if still shows the same , call EBay.ca CS  .

Hope everything will be OK .

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:
The tracking info is the same on both the CP and USPS websites.  It shows:

April 18, 2019 

I have that line on many of my Tracked Packets. Here's an example (reversed order - look at the bottom line):

April 1, 2019, 12:56 pm
Delivered, Parcel Locker
ESCONDIDO, CA 92027 
Your item was delivered to a parcel locker at 12:56 pm on April 1, 2019 in ESCONDIDO, CA 92027.

April 1, 2019, 7:37 am
Out for Delivery
ESCONDIDO, CA 92027 

April 1, 2019, 7:27 am
Sorting Complete
ESCONDIDO, CA 92027 

April 1, 2019, 4:08 am
Arrived at Unit
ESCONDIDO, CA 92027 

April 1, 2019, 2:36 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SAN DIEGO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 31, 2019, 7:21 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
SAN DIEGO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

March 31, 2019

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

I think your example is a little different than my situation since I'm assuming that prior to the March 31st statement, the item had not been out for delivery, like mine was?  That's why I wondered what "next facility" is.  But I'm relieved to learn that I will not be held liable since I shipped to the address provided, so I'll monitor this but not lose any sleep over it.

April 18, 2019 

April 14, 2019, 9:14 am 
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility 
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

April 10, 2019, 3:55 pm 
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility 
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER  

April 9, 2019, 10:36 am 
No Such Number 
MOUNT CLEMENS, MI 48046  

April 6, 2019, 9:52 am 
Insufficient Address 
CLINTON TOWNSHIP, MI 48035  

April 6, 2019, 9:09 am 
Out for Delivery 

April 6, 2019, 8:59 am 
Sorting Complete 

April 6, 2019, 6:34 am 
Arrived at Unit 
MOUNT CLEMENS, MI 48046  

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

For your particular example curious to know if the system is accurately building in what appears to be 4 days for customs clearance. That amount can vary entirely randomly based on a number of factors that a seller has no control over.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Jeeez ...... I'm trying to watch the Jets game and I'm in a back and forth with the buyer.  I've sent her two attachments .. eBay and PayPal records .... showing the postal code I shipped to.  This is her last e-mail to me:

Dear sir , (sir??? ... she has seen my name)
I have ordered many items thru eBay and have never had trouble receiving my items due to wrong or bad address  I have checked my PayPal account and it does have my zip code as xxxxx !  (different than the one I was provided)   If you are having a problem it s not on me I will report this to eBay , how this company is customer service unfriendly !You can return my order I don t care, I will buy my cologne thru an reputable company !

Is it even possible that I received an incorrect address from PayPal?

Message 19 of 19
latest reply