Promoted listings Standard - minimum changing from 1 - 2% in mid July?

There is a post about this in the middle of another thread but though that I would start a new thread so that more people might see it.

Here is the link from a .com discussion about it.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/promoted-listings/m-p/33003394

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Is this information accurate and will the 2% min. for promoted listings apply to .ca listings as well?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Promoted listings Standard - minimum changing from 1 - 2% in mid July?

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

There is a post about this in the middle of another thread but though that I would start a new thread so that more people might see it.

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Is this information accurate and will the 2% min. for promoted listings apply to .ca listings as well?

Hey @pjcdn2005! As of right now the only sites where this will take effect will be the US, UK, and AU. At the moment .ca is not apart of the promoted listing change.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hey @pjcdn2005! As of right now the only sites where this will take effect will be the US, UK, and AU. At the moment .ca is not apart of the promoted listing change.

devon@ebay 

Hello Devon,

Awesome to hear this is not being changed at this time for Canada. Thumbs up for that. Would it be possible to change how promoted fees are collected by tieing them directly to the transaction and NOT as a separate line? They get charged immediately from my experience.  The funds should be pulled from pending transactions but this is NOT always the way things happen. Because sellers cannot keep a running float like they did with PayPal (We truly never know when the next sale will happen), I've on occasion had these fees pulled from my bank. In Canada there can be additional fees for over the limit debits with some bank accounts. Personally never did make any sense to make these (Promotion fees/over the limit listing fees/listing upgrades) as transaction on its own. If this is something in settings, nothing I have been able to find.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hello Devon,

Awesome to hear this is not being changed at this time for Canada. Thumbs up for that. Would it be possible to change how promoted fees are collected by tieing them directly to the transaction and NOT as a separate line? They get charged immediately from my experience.  The funds should be pulled from pending transactions but this is NOT always the way things happen. Because sellers cannot keep a running float like they did with PayPal (We truly never know when the next sale will happen), I've on occasion had these fees pulled from my bank. In Canada there can be additional fees for over the limit debits with some bank accounts. Personally never did make any sense to make these (Promotion fees/over the limit listing fees/listing upgrades) as transaction on its own. If this is something in settings, nothing I have been able to find.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hey @lotzofuniquegoodies! I can get this information passed to the Selling team and if I get any updates on this I will let you know!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hello Devon,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

@lotzofuniquegoodies  from previous discussions I've had with some of the ads team in the US, the reason ad fees are a separate line item is that sometimes attribution for the sale coming from an ad isn't immediate and can take up to 72 hours.

It doesn't happen often, most are attributed within minutes. I was told early last year it's about 5% that don't have real time attribution but it may have improved since then. But since there can be some time between the sale and when eBay's systems recognize the sale came from an ad click, they bill the ad fee separately whenever that attribution happens.

I agree with you it would be so much more convenient to have it all tied together with the transaction, but until/unless they get to the point of reliable 100% real time ad attribution unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

Thanks. That's the best explanation since I started getting billed for promoted listings. Have had it happen a few times where there was a delay in the payment processing and funds (usually for pennies) were removed from my bank. Was not impressed. If I have to wait several days for funds to process, eBay should also.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

jasmen@ebay 

devon@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hello Devon,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Update: Apparently this was only temporarily delayed for Canada. See attached. See response post 2 referencing the sites it would applicable to.

We're continuously evaluating the performance and impact quality of Promoted Listings Standard as a tool to drive seller success. As part of this work, effective July 11, we’ll be changing the minimum ad rate for Promoted Listings Standard from 1% to 2%. While we recognize this impacts your business, this change will ensure your campaigns remain competitive in reaching buyers in our growing marketplace, and also allow us to deliver products and services that drive best-in-class returns for eBay sellers.

Just in the past year, we’ve added new Promoted Listings Standard features like an all-in-one campaign dashboard and downloadable reports that provide sellers with a convenient way to review important campaign data. On July 11, we’ll be rolling out a new feature that’ll allow sellers to edit multiple listings at once for both Bulk and Simple campaigns. This’ll make it quicker to adjust ad rates versus having to make manual changes for each campaign.

And there’s more to come.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1656528225583.gif

Next Steps

We’d encourage you to adjust your ad rates that are below 2% on or before July 11 to 2% or higher so that your promoted listings can continue to appear in advertising placements across the eBay network. If you decide not to make any changes, those listings will still be active but won’t be promoted.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"And there’s more to come" I dont like the sound of that lol.  Love how they add on these sad sad improvements too like its supposed to make up for the constant fee increases.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@joels-retrocade wrote:

"And there’s more to come" I dont like the sound of that lol.  Love how they add on these sad sad improvements too like its supposed to make up for the constant fee increases.

That line makes me worry too. As far as my mind can go back they (eBay) have always acknowledged "changes" as improvements. Personally I can never recall one of these "changes" that caused a major jump in traffic/business/costs. Only the opposite

-Lotz

Message 9 of 9
latest reply