Return label from US to Canada

Well I really screwed up & got an INAD today. Sold a chain which was marked 14K & I had purchased as gold from what I thought was a reputable person. Buyer tested it & it is not gold. It was sold for scrap price but was still around $600. Buyer opened claim & messaged me at same time. I told him that I honestly believed it was gold & would certainly refund him but needed to contact eBay to see how to get him a label (he is in US). Was not home at the time so said I would do first thing in am. He immediately left me a really nasty FB. And sent 2 more emails tonight saying he wanted his $ & saying he buys lots of gold & that this was a cheap fake. Then said as I sold cheap stuff I should stick to that. I replied again apologizing & saying I would deal with it first thing & would follow eBay's policies & get him a label & refund as soon as I got it back. 
So I sent express to him will I be required to pay to have it returned express? Or can I just have it with tracking? Never had to do this before so do not even know what kind of option USPS has for shipping to Canada. Hoping someone out there will be more familiar with this situation.

Moral of the story is I better get a tester cause this is going to be expensive both from the FB standpoint & the cost to mail to him was over $40 CAD (which I will now have to refund) plus will now have a return label which will be in US funds . Any guidance is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Return label from US to Canada

Feedback reply isn't for the buyer, although they might see it. 

It's for future buyers to see that you're alright to deal with if something goes wrong.

Report a buyer is a specific feature. While it is possible that the CSR may have involved the eBay's security department, it's always good to report buyers who either attempt to scam you, or who are abusive. It's more something you should do as a courtesy to the next seller because eBay generally only takes action when multiple sellers report bad actors. Even giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, and let's assume he does actually think the item is counterfeit, he absolutely has a right to be upset in that scenario and you're not entitled to him being ultra polite or nice, but at the same time he isn't entitled to behave abusively, swearing, whatever.

If this person does this on a regular basis and has been reported by other sellers, you reporting them might result in their account getting suspended. In which case, the negative feedback would be removed.

eBay has a specific policy about feedback removal when buyers do not follow through with a return that they opened. Granted, this might be outdated info as eBay does change things. If you as a seller provide a buyer with a return label and they refuse to send the item back, their feedback is eligible for removal. Your situation seems like it would be the same thing because eBay closed the case due to the buyer's inactivity after you opted to provide them with funds for a label. 

There is a tool to request feedback removal, but I don't know how well it works. You can find it here: https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp/feedback (you have to sign in on .com). 

You could also try the contact us form on this page: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-seller-performance/appeal-defect?id=4871

I would keep it simple but the three main points.

1. I am asking to have the feedback removed. I understand that I can ask for a revision from the buyer. I do not want to ask for a revision from the buyer because they were abusive in our messages.
  2. The buyer opened a case and then refused to cooperate with the return. I provided the buyer with a return label via offering to send funds. The buyer refused to accept the funds for a return label. eBay stepped in and closed the case as a result.
  3. The buyer was abusive in their messages.

There is a reasonable chance they will remove the feedback. 

I can't find reference to eBay removing feedback when buyer's refuse to follow through with a return, but I think it is usually mentioned somewhere when you open a case. Protection from abusive buyers is part of eBay's seller protection policy, so if the messages were particularly bad, there is a good chance eBay will remove the feedback.

When people post stories on here about bad buyers, I usually try to take the middle ground and assume it could be an issue with the buyer or the seller. In your situation, it could be entirely possible that you made a mistake and they were righ to at least be upset (not abusive) and request a return. With that said, the fact that eBay was so quick to take your side either means that this person was particularly terrible, or this is something they do on a regular basis and the info the CSR had showed that. So if they were particulary abusive, I don't think you should feel bad about using the 'report buyer' feature. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Next time just buy a return label with shippo. There is nothing hard about it. Put his address in the sender and your address in the ship to field. That simple. Then upload the label into the ebay claim.

If they never send it back then the case will close on its own and you can get a refund for the label from shippo.

We have had to do this more than once. No issues.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I agree with everyone here about signing up for Shippo for return labels for US Buyers! It's simple and quick to do, and labels are soooo cheap - especially for small items that can be sent 1st class.

I have a US delivery address too (since I live close to the border) so I can buy labels for under $5, and this is enough to deter scammers! It's worked for me where labels have been unused!

Even if you don't live near the border!!! If you fear your being scammed, and shipping back to Canada is too expensive for a low valued items just create a label to send back to a friend in the US or a drop ship/ package pickup place. Call their bluff! This worked for me during covid, when I couldn't cross the border! It's better than just refunding, or paying $25 for a label for a $30 item!

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Chit Chats has a return label that is automatically produced when you create the shipment. For a heavier item where a return might be an issue, or for someone who sells a high volume of items that have a high rate of returns, I would highly consider Chit Chats for this reason alone. 

I would have to look up their exact policy, but if I recall you get a USPS rate (buyer location to Chit Chats Niagara Falls) for the return, and then a small fee to have Chit Chats transport the return to your local Chit Chats location. 

Message 24 of 24
latest reply