Shipping watches with button cell installed to USA

I'm trying to find info on the updated requirements of sending small devices like a watch, that has a single button cell to the US.

Given that rules are being enforced, I want to try and get clarity on the issue and I am having a hard time finding info.

In one of USPS updates for domestic mail, they have no limits or restrictions for small button cells that are installed in a device and required no paperwork or labels for MSDS. They also do not prevent the package from traveling by air.

However, it seems as if CPC employees are being trained (just by my recent experience) that any and all batteries despite size or nature are prohibited from going air and must use ground services.

For example. I wanted to send a small wristwatch to a customer in US and according to the new requirements, I can't use Small Packet Air, I have to use tracked packet, which is twice the money.

I'm not too worried as if that is the case, I will limit sales of low value items to Canada only, and allow more expensive models to go to US, where I can afford the shipping due to the higher price.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem seems to be behind the counter.

Don't go to the counter.

If you are printing your shipping labels at home, and the package fits in the postbox, use the postbox.

You have the tracking number (if you are using a tracked service) and it will be accepted and the paper trail will start at the terminal .

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Tracked packet is by surface? I've had TP packages leave Calgary and be in San Francisco the next day so I was under the impression that it went by air.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Canada Post does not have any ground services to the USPS (except perhaps, letterpost).

My fading memory says that surface shipments for packets and parcels were phased out almost a decade ago in favour of air transfer only.

I think the only restricted batteries are the ones with lithium.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/lithium-batteries-are-dangerous-goods-1162.html

https://blog.stamps.com/2015/02/26/new-usps-mailing-standards-for-lithium-batteries/

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Tracked Packet is airmail and as far as I know, the only prohibited batteries are lithium.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yeah, it seems in this case, perhaps workers at third party CPC outlets are being trained to simply treat all batteries equal regardless of the classification . Some locations may train them better or perhaps this is the direction from CPC, but it doesnt make sense either way.

I've had a rather mixed results from postal outlets. Some giving wrong info or "padding" sizes when shipping. Others are really good and have employees that care and know what they are talking about. It depends on the culture at that location. Some of these spots (and you know what I'm referring to) seems like they sell and do everything under the sun but rarely get anything right and constantly juggle customers (badly). I feel that this is some of the flack that CPC gets because customers for the most parts don't differentiate between an outlet that's staffed by a person who makes minimum wage and may not be at that job very long compared to a Corporate location that has regular full time employees that are fully trained.

I'm almost sort of considering going back to the Post Office where I used to work. It's a half hour bus ride but the staff there are top notch and I never have an issue and they know the system and can solve practically any issue.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The problem seems to be behind the counter.

Don't go to the counter.

If you are printing your shipping labels at home, and the package fits in the postbox, use the postbox.

You have the tracking number (if you are using a tracked service) and it will be accepted and the paper trail will start at the terminal .

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I hear you loud and clear and agree. My closest postal access is an authorized dealer in a drug store; the postal counter manager has been there almost 25 years. She cares about getting things right and generally stays on top of matters although I have corrected her on details a few times (or have even been better-informed about what's going on with changes) because it seems like perhaps the training on new information from CPC flows downhill slowly.

But when they're training new folks, yikes. Most of the new people don't stick around for long.  To work behind the postal counter, a person actually has to think on their feet and problem-solve and there's a great deal to learn. It's easier to stock shelves or run a regular cash register for the same pay.

The postal counter staff that get really good at their jobs typically move on after six months to a year; you can tell they were the smart ones. The dumb ones last less time. 

But, yes, the ill-informed staff working those postal counters do NOT do Canada Post any favours, that's for sure. 

I once asked the 'Can I mail perfume?' question at three different postal counters to, I think, eight different staff at different times and got five different answers. Just to see what they'd tell me. I do it now for fun sometimes, just to gauge the knowledge level of the person to which I'm handing my stuff. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You can always just show up with the correct procedures to "educate" them if required.  Here's a PDF of Canada Post's webpage that discusses battery shipping rules.  You could even leave them a copy to help them out.

Ian

EDIT:  Can't attach PDF it seems.  Here's a link to the website so you can make your own.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp

Message 8 of 8
latest reply