Sold item but suspicious sale

So a buyer messaged me wondering if an item was still available etc. and the messaged seemed a bit suspicious. I said yes and they replied that they will buy with their other account. I then get an email saying the item sold. I looked at the account used and it is a brand new account today. how suspicious. They then ask if it worked, I said yes and asked why they used the other account and explained that I prefer to sell to a buyer with some feedback already. They then say they used a new account because they are registered with another PayPal and they understand that I want a buyer with feedback but say that I know it is the same person, but the account they message me on only has a score of 2. I can't really just not sell it and cancel as I have no reason or proof, and that could risk negative feedback on my account. I wonder, If someone gets a refound from eBay or PayPal, does the refound come from my PayPal account? I don't want them to get a refund. I know that if they request and I provide a refund but they are not allowed on the listing. I am wondering what you all think I should do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I then get an email saying the item sold.

Is there a payment in your Paypal account?

Don't ship until there is.

I can't really just not sell it and cancel as I have no reason or proof,

Sounds like there is a "Problem with Address".

Check both accounts for a lapse in FB sent or received. And whether the products or the sellers are similar to yours.

A gap in buying (or selling) is a sign of a hacked account.

A sudden change in products (comic books to gold rings/ Precious Moments to heavy metal CDs) could also be a sign of hacking.

that could risk negative feedback on my account.

EBay doesn't use feedback to assess your account.

EBay puts Defects on problem accounts. Those lead to higher fees, restrictions on number or value of listings, or even closing.

If someone gets a refound from eBay or PayPal, does the refound come from my PayPal account?

Yes.

If an unhappy customer is refunded, the payment will come from you. It may be direct (and you miss the dreaded Defect when you refund voluntarily) or eBay/PP may refund and come after you (and you get the Defect as well as losing the money).

If you want the item back, you also pay return shipping. (This gets complicated for international shipping.)

I know that if they request and I provide a refund but they are not allowed on the listing.

Do you mean you have a No Returns policy?

It's meaningless. If you take Paypal or sell on eBay you make Refunds.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

They are not even spelled the same.

I agree this all sounds strange.

Why ask if a listed item is "still available"?

Does the eBay record show it as Sold?

Is the payment in your Paypal account?

Have you looked up the address on Google Maps and is it a warehouse of some sort?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the great response!

I looked up the address and it is a home, but the sale is still suspicious so I am going to cancel the order. If I cancel the order, will I lose any money, from fees or anything?
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If you cancel the order for "Buyer Request" (not true) or "Problem with Address" you will not get a Defect.

The buyer can leave feedback, but that is not something that eBay cares about, although your future customers might.

You will pay the listing fee (usually no more than 35c) .

Your Final Value Fees (FVF), the 10% of price you pay eBay on sales, will be refunded.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

So if I issue a refund for "problem with address" then all the fees will be refunded to me and no money will be lost from me?
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Okay, so I cancelled the order and "explained" to the buyer that there was "a problem with the address".

I looked in my PP account and I now have a little less than I did before the sale. Why is that?

I also got a "Fee reversal from PayPal". What is that for?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Paypal charges you fees for processing payments.

The non-refundable fee is 30 c and the refundable fee is 2.9% of a domestic payment or 3.7% of an international payment (including payments from US buyers).

If you are listing in US dollars on dotCOM, there may also have been a fluctuation in foreign exchange which makes the loonie a little cheaper or a little more expensive than it was when your payment was originally processed. The loonie went up against the US dollar immediately after the election for example.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Okay so all I lost was 30cents? That's fine. Seems right cause my PP balance is 30cents less. Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply