Specifying shipping

jofre4103
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new seller on eBay.ca and I have a problem with shipping. I read on the eBay site that it is possible to tag the shipping information with a sentence stating shipping would be calibrated once the location of the buyer is known. However, I can't see where I can select that option.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Specifying shipping

Probably because that would be a Bad Idea.

You have two choices for shipping if you are listing here on dotCA.

Flat Rate

• This is useful if most of your items can travel lettermail where the only differences in the rate are based on weight.
  • If you are listing on dotCOM, Flat Rate will be your only choice
  • If you use Flat Rate, it is also possible to use Free Shipping (DON'T PANIC) which just means including the cost of shipping in your selling price.
  • Don't use Flat Rates if your items must travel by Parcel Rates which vary by destination.

Calculated Shipping

• This is what you are looking for.
  • EBay will automatically use the weight and dimensions you enter plus the shipping service you choose, check those against your customer's postal code/location and give him the cost of shipping to his doorstep
  • Use metric measurements. Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other will be guesswork.
  • https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1
  • Bookmark that website. It will be useful.

CANADA POST RATES INCREASE ON JANUARY 14, 2019.

You are probably looking at the Simplified Sell Your Item Form. Up in the top right corner you should see a link that will take you to the Advanced Form.

There are more choices there including Calculated Shipping.

You can enter more than one Calculated Rate by adding more destinations using the Custom Destination option.

USA is not International.

Don't use both USA and North and South America.

(Actually don't ship outside North America until you have at least 10 DSRs and know what DSRs are and why they are unimportant.)

A lot of the options on both Sell Your Item forms are dropdown menus. This seems to fool people a lot.

I hope someone will show you a screenshot of what to look for. That's beyond my technical abilities.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Specifying shipping

What do you plan to sell and who is your primary market?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Specifying shipping

You're right. That's exactly what I'm looking for as most of my items will not ship by letter mail.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Specifying shipping

Mostly art books, dvd's and cd's, with some classical music VHS tapes as well. The hope is that they will sell in North America, but my concern about shipping is regarding potential sales to Asia.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Specifying shipping

As femmefan mentioned I would recommend only selling to Canada & the US as you are a new seller.  Wait till you have some experience & built up some feedback first before selling to other countries.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Specifying shipping

Remember to take into consideration when selling DVD's(N. America Region 1 - Europe Region 2)/VHS Tapes(NTSC Format) some will not play in Europe as they use the PAL format. It would be important to note in your listings. Example:  Please confirm prior to bidding this item will work in your country with your particular player/system. (Can also be compatibility issues with games/gaming systems)

-Lotz

DVD's

• Region 0: Worldwide
  • Region 1: United States, Canada, U.S. territories, Latin America
  • Region 2: European Union, Japan, Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland, French territories, British territories.
  • Region 3: Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, South Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong
  • Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Latin America
  • Region 5: Russia, Eastern Europe, India, Pakistan, the majority of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia
  • Region 6: Mainland China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/306766-VHS-region-compatibility

Message 7 of 7
latest reply