USPS media mail via CCE

Has anyone used it before? I just made an account on CCE and though I’d drop off an US bound 500g package there to try out their service. I’m trying to read through the info on USPS page - https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm

and the the impression I got from it is that the books need to be officially printed and educational? And that USPS would open the package to inspect them? They are used comic books by self-publishing artists so they are not officially printed, with no ISBN barcodes whatsoever. Would USPS see that they’re comic books, and then bounce them back to CCE??

And I certainly don’t want the package to be manhandled roughly if USPS will open to check. Almost every time when I get my packages from Japan that got checked by Canada customs, I get a bent book cover because they are rough with  repackaging. Does USPS check all media mails or just random ones? 

Media mail is $4.25 + CCE fee while priority mail is $11.34 + CCE fee. My understanding is that they are both tracked. Because if I have to use the later, then I might as well use Small Packet Air from here. It’s cheaper since I don’t need tracking...

Which service should I use?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

USPS media mail via CCE

Zee, you might want to ask on the .com board since you are asking about USPS media mail. Unless you do get an answer from someone on .ca of course.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

Thanks. I haven't thought of the US board. A quick search on media mail on the US board gave me a solid NO.

Someone posted this useful chart that's used by USPS staffs. This chart is much easier to read than the link I had in my top post.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

It's a NO for comic books, and yes for graphic novels only if they have an ISBN. Apparently USPS is strict with media mail and are very likely to open them to check. People got dinged for extra postage if they sent things like video games with media mail.

So since I'd have to go Priority with tracking for $12, I might as well use Small Packet Air for $11 instead of making the trip to CCE. This is a repeat buyer, so I'm not worried about tracking it.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

CCE  is CHITCHATEXPRESS, I assume?

For newbies-- chitchat accepts packages at offices in Toronto and Vancouver then carries them across the border and ships via USPS.

Those who use them report high satisfaction.

There are a couple of similar companies around, I recall Calgary and Montreal as having reshippers.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

I've sent thousands of Media Mail packages, I doubt a single one of them has ever been opened and inspected. If it's ever done it's usually by the receiving Post Office (over the counter) or by the carrier at the delivery end. The probable reason is that almost everything I send via MM is shipped in specific LP mailers, the size and weight match what is expected (records) which do qualify.

USPS has gotten more aggressive about contents in recent years because online sellers (especially but not exclusively eBay sellers) have a bad habit of abusing the service and send things which in no way comes even close to being allowed.

Think of the enforcement as similar to Canada Posts enforcement on International oversized envelopes not to contain merchandise (such as a comic book which is just a stack of paper).

Media Mail IS a great service for the price in the US, normally I see 5 - 6 days for delivery from Niagara Falls to anywhere in the lower 48.

If you do use the service via Chit Chat be prepared for 1 or 2 day delay for Acceptance scans. Chit Chats First Class or Priority will get a scan the day after you drop it off, first scan in Niagara Falls, second scan shortly after that in Rochester. The Media Mail rarely gets a scan in Niagara Falls and the first scan is slow to come from the Pittsburgh sorting facility where it often sits for 24 - 48 hours.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

@reallynicestampswrote:

CCE  is CHITCHATEXPRESS, I assume?

For newbies-- chitchat accepts packages at offices in Toronto and Vancouver then carries them across the border and ships via USPS.

Those who use them report high satisfaction.

Plus Montreal and Halifax for ChitChatsExpress.

DYKpost - Calgary and Edmonton

RunninRed - Winnipeg

StallionExpress - Toronto

Stallion and ChitChat also have flat rate shipping inside Canada for the provinces.

There may be more, but those are the one's I have heard about.

-..-

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

Zee, I can't speak about media mail but I use chit chat now and I love it.   It is too bad that it weighs over 15 oz as I find that first class is the best. I am now using it for most of my international as soon as I can get the expected dates on ebay in line with actual times. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

Well, according to that USPS chart I posted in my reply, comic books aren't allowed, so I'm not going to use it for this sale... And 90% of my sales are comic books, so I think for now I'll just stick to Canada Post unless I get a bunch of sales at once.

It's hard to justify the drive to CCE for a couple small sales, especially when I can't go there on the days I work because I work longer than their office hours. Whereas the 7-11 postal outlet near my home closes at 9pm so I can go there after work (7pm) on my way home. The drop off point they have is even further away from me lol.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

USPS media mail via CCE

juhech-0
Community Member

Hi Zee!  Media mail is a great option provided by USPS for media materials.  You are right no comics allowed however if your item is below 1 lb USPS First Class Package rates are super cheap and delivery usually falls within 2-4 business days with Chit Chats so it might be the best option.  However, since your item seems to be just over the 1 lb mark - try and fit it into one of the flat rate envelopes - not sure how thick it is as this is a cheaper option than just shipping in your own packaging.  USPS offers those flat rate envelopes that are really a great option for shipping smaller heavier items. Basically if it fits it ships and it doesn't matter where in the US it is going.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply