eBay's shipping rates for Small Packet USA are wrong

The new shipping option offered by eBay works quite well except in one area in my experience: Small Packet USA. I used it to send an item (19 x 15 x 6 cm, 245 g) for which the Canada Post counter price is $9.48. The eBay price was $9.83 and claimed a saving of 3%! Apparently this is due to the misapplication of volumetric pricing, which does not apply to services like Small Packet and Tracked Packet. So long as the package is within the appropriate weight range and is neither below the minimum dimensions nor above the maximum dimensions the price is fixed. It doesn't vary according to dimensions. I've reported the problem, with what success remains to be seen. Shippo gets it right, and until eBay does I'll use Shippo or Canada Post for Small Packets.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@aramatic wrote:

The new shipping option offered by eBay works quite well except in one area in my experience: Small Packet USA. I used it to send an item (19 x 15 x 6 cm, 245 g) for which the Canada Post counter price is $9.48. The eBay price was $9.83 and claimed a saving of 3%! Apparently this is due to the misapplication of volumetric pricing, which does not apply to services like Small Packet and Tracked Packet. So long as the package is within the appropriate weight range and is neither below the minimum dimensions nor above the maximum dimensions the price is fixed. It doesn't vary according to dimensions. I've reported the problem, with what success remains to be seen. Shippo gets it right, and until eBay does I'll use Shippo or Canada Post for Small Packets.

There are also issues/conflicting information displayed if your item is oversized. Example I tested to USA with measurements of  88 cm x 12 cm x 12 cm/900 grams. CP shows rates for Expedited & Xpresspost. Ebay Labels displays no available options. No recent Intl orders so was unable to test further.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That's the correct rate.  The 9.48 counter price is before the fuel surcharge which they started adding to small packet in January.  The counter price with the current fuel surcharge would be $10.17 and the level 1 small business rate which is what the ebay calculator uses is 9.83.

You can check those prices at Canada Post

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

That doesn't  doing like an oversized issue.  I bet that it is the same issue as with the calculator and that those measurements wouldn't work there either as the second measurement is smaller than the cp's posted 14cm minimum.    I'm not saying that is how it should work, just saying that it probably is the same issue. 88x14x12 should work.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks. I stand corrected, at least as far as Canada Post is concerned. I'll have to check, but I think Shippo is cheaper.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 

eBay Labels - 88 cm x 12 cm x 12 cm 900 grams...Options greyed out.

eBay Labels Reason - Too Big or Too Heavy

eBay Labels oversized.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CP Rates: 88 cm x 12 cm x 12 cm   900 grams

CP Oversized.JPG

-Lotz

PS. Is there really any reason why eBay can't fix a known issue with min measurements and give sellers an error message when they create the listing vs the buyer finding out when they go to check shipping? If you choose 2.001 KG and Small packet Air/Tracked for USA you seller receives an error message. It won't even let you complete the listing without fixing.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It looks like the 'may' be too heavy or large is just a suggestion gir each one.  It's definitely too big for small or tracked packet but the explanation under xpresspost says that the package 'May' be too big but it also shows you the minimum measurents which is likely the problem. I'm sure that they give you all of that info right there so you can see exactly what the problem is.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

PS. Is there really any reason why eBay can't fix a known issue with min measurements and give sellers an error message when they create the listing vs the buyer finding out when they go to check shipping? If you choose 2.001 KG and Small packet Air/Tracked for USA you seller receives an error message. It won't even let you complete the listing without fixing.

I have no idea why they have never added an error message as I wouldn't think it woukd be that difficult.  But based on the fact that both CP and Shippo accept those numbers 'below' the minimum,  it doesn't seem to be a real minimum anyway.  It does seem to mean that items that size are at the minimum price but you can still ship smaller packages and be charged that same price.  It does seem to work like that but I don't know if that's intentional.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

if you have more than a level 1 small business discount then Shippo will be cheaper, otherwise it would be the same as eBay. Keep in mind that the fuel surcharge changes (every month?)  so the price will vary.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I've never been able to confirm the rational behind  the minimums. Maybe so the printed label didn't wrap around(easier for the reader to scan) or the fact that smaller packages can cause problems going through the system. Caught in conveyors etc. I lean more towards option 1. Those(smaller) laser labels are designed for high volume sellers so can fit nicely on a smallish box and would not be as much of an issue.

From a sellers perspective especially where cubing is applicable the smaller the better. I've has smallish packages for Canada that weight in at under 200 grams but cube up to over 600 grams. Can bump up the postage costs quickly.

For anyone that buys the smallish eBay shipping box(4"x4"x4") those are definitely under the minimum for CP and eBay but perfectly acceptable for USPS. File that under creative box measuring 101 if you choose to use.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

That would be fine except for the fact that when you key in those measurements into CP the possible options come up. The issue is that something is wrong with eBay Labels causing those options not to display there. The systems "should" mirror each other.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply