snapship expedited to US can't insure over $100?

When I click on show additional options there are none, but with this service it's supposed to be up to $1000 for a fee, but doesn't allow me that on US shipments only Canadian, is this a known bug? When I used to use paypal labels I think I was able to add on liability coverage

can I add on at the counter?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

This is what I see on the Canada Post website

*Coverage Details: Up to $100.00 included. Maximum $1,000.00 @ $2.25 per $100.00.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s2

Is SnapShip not giving you a chance to pay Canada Post more money?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Did you notice that instead of $20.25 for insurance you can get ExpressPost USA for about $10 more with Signature Confirmation included and NO SAFE DROP, which are better than insurance in my opinion.

Or you can look into shipinsurance,which is cheaper and easier  to deal with on claims.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yeah I read similar as well, but when I use the snapship tool and select expedited there is just no option to add on, and it only covers $100 which is not enough, been that way for a while, will phone their tech support probably.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

On the page where you fill in the size and weight of the item there is an option to add insurance and that option is there for all shipping methods.

If you decide to insure, remember that the first $100 is already insured by the P.O. for most shipping methods so is you use one of those services don't forget to subtract $100 from the amount of insurance because the PO has that covered.

I'm not sure how SnapShip deals with deciding who the insurer is when the P.O. also sells insurance for the method of shipping chosen, but InsurePost is the insurer and when you buy insurance you buy via SnapShip the cost is a little less than if you buy it directly from InsurePost (aka Shipsurance).

Also remember to get an acceptance stamp at the PO if the item is being shipped via small or light packet.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You can now get a receipt from the post office for Small Pkt shipments instead of having to get something stamped. Just ask them to scan the bar code and give you an acceptance receipt when you hand in your package. Saves having to print off an extra copy.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I'm not sure how SnapShip deals with deciding who the insurer is when the P.O. also sells insurance for the method of shipping chosen, but InsurePost is the insurer and when you buy insurance you buy via SnapShip the cost is a little less than if you buy it directly from InsurePost (aka Shipsurance).

I think you are mixing up SnapShip and Shippo....

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I know that you cannot buy additional insurance for Tracked Packet. Only with a third party insurer like InsurePost (or Shipsurance if you buy an annual coverage).

But the rest should have the option to add insurance... this is weird. If you use SnapShip, why not using PayPal instead? You have the same discount and at least there, you can buy additional insurance.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Are you asking about Canada Post's SnapShip?  or   Shippo (eBay's handler)?

You can not add more insurance to a Canada Post label at the counter.

-..-

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

I think you are mixing up SnapShip and Shippo....

Oops.  You're right.  My response was about Shippo, but since I did that I'll point out that buying extra insurance on Shippo is easy.  Not sure how easy collecting would be though.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

On general principles though-- what do you think insurance will do for you?

It covers loss in the mail well enough, but that is a vanishingly tiny number of shipments. Delay is another question.

You are already covered by Confirmation of Delivery and Signature Confirmation ($1.50 well spent!) in case of eBay non-delivery claims.

Damage in transit if the postal system damages the shipment and then marks the package as such (plastic wrap, tape, notices) they will pay up, but if the item inside the package is damaged with no noticeable damage to the package itself, you won't be compensated because that is your packing error, not their handling error.

So what is the $20 insurance covering ?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yea I was talking about Canada Post snapship not shippo, I used to use paypal but I had a bad experience with them when their site was not working for days, I like snapship interface except for this, tech support told me to call later and they'll try to walk me through it how to add that option for expedited so hopefully that will fix it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply