the tracking for a package I sent out hasn’t updated in 12 days

I sold a funko pop and shipped it on November 27 to Mexico. I’ve been checking the tracking daily and it hasn’t updated in 12 days. According to the tracking it made it to Mexico. I messaged the buyer and asked them if they received it yet and they said no. Should I try to contact USPS and ask them what’s going on?
Could the package be lost? Or just being delayed?
Here’s the tracking if you wanna see it for yourself:
LM986666623US (USPS)
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I no longer post to Mexico.  Unreliable mail and some items not received by buyer.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

In doing a little digging it appears that Mexico mail does not like LM tracking numbers. From all the checking i could do it has cleared and was on its way for delivery. Where was it going to from Mexico city? They may just have very slow delivery to that location. You may want to start a trace file with USPS and add a request for any updates in USPS. Appears the website for mexico tracking with the mail is https://datos.gob.mx/  May be possible to start a trace in their system also you being the sender. Hope that helps?

Lotz - Formerly known as CM due to circumstances beyond my control

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Probably still stuck in customs.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

as @ypdc_dennis said probably stuck in customs.  Hopefully your buyer is patient and honest.  I send a small package to Brazil from USA earlier this year, took 4 weeks to be delivered, most of that was sitting in customs in Brazil.  Thankfully the buyer knew that would happen and was insistent that he was willing to wait.  

Ian

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Generally, the best thing is not to worry until you need to worry.

Has the customer complained?

Don't do anything if he hasn't.

Has the last estimated date for delivery given by eBay passed?

Has the customer opened a Dispute?

Put the tracking number in the Dispute, but since the Mexican Post Office has not confirmed Delivery, it is likely your customer is right and he hasn't received the figure.

In which case your only choice is to refund promptly.

Keep an eye on the tracking number and when it does show delivery (if ever, Correios Mexico is notoriously bad)  use Paypal to send a new invoice with a polite cheerful note "Wow, it took a long time, but I see your Funko Pop Figure finally arrived. To make it easy for you , you can return the refund by using this form. "
Most people are honest, or can be shamed, so you may get the refund back.

And don't ship to Mexico. Or anywhere in South America really unless they are using a North American freight forwarder.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Which class of service did you use to send the package?  If it was Priority it may include insurance.  If there was no insurance, USPS is unlikely to help you as it is out of their hands now.

Imo, it is never a good idea to contact a buyer to ask if they have received their item.  If they are dishonest and they now know that tracking hasn't been updated, they may tell you that they didn't receive it regardless if they did or not.

Out of the 3 buyers I've ever had from Mexico 2 of them filed inr claims so I don't ship many things there. I didn't use tracking as they were inexpensive items but I've heard that they do have a lot of problems with the mail service there so its very possible that the buyers didn't receive their packages.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Tracking indicates it passed through customs on the 3rd, scanning at the local level probably will never happen.

It can take a long time for the final delivery in Mexico so it's certainly possible it has not yet been delivered. On the other hand local delivery is quite unreliable in Mexico.

I would advise against checking up on your shipments and most important do not contact your buyers, let them contact you if they are concerned.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have shipped a package by XpressPost from Manitoba to Alberta  (CANADA!!) and the tracking information has not been update for nearly 4 weeks now and I asked the buyer twice if he received it but he never replied.  Not sure what to do expect to call Canada Post to find out where it is.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Had something similar happen to a package in October before the strikes.

The tracking stopped after 1 week.  Asked the buyer if it had arrived safely and got no response. Did open a case with Canada Post -- but they were no help resolving the missing tracking. That was 2 months ago, and with no buyer complaint, I assume it got delivered.

The tracking system is build on people doing proper scans (and the equipment working). If it's not currently stuck in the Vancouver part of the postal system, it has probably been delivered (especially if you haven't been getting the Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption message updates).

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

(Service standards were reinstated by Canada Post on Tuesday; there’s a thread with a link to the Canada Post announcement about it.)
Message 12 of 12
latest reply