Help, I can't set shipment to the USA

Hi all,

A buyer from the state would like to purchase item I sell but can't seem to be able to apply the shipping cost. 

For the shipping setting, I have set :

1. domestic shipment as flat

2. International shipment, I chose custom location:

a) United States : Canada Post - small packet -Air

b) Other locations - Small packets - International - Air

3)  for additional ship locations where buyer contact seller I chose worldwide (I can't seem to omit this)

When I check for the shipping cost and enter the postal code of a city in the state, it says : "a shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code.

I've tried to solve this many times but still no success. Please help me, what did I miss? I don't use Ebay often. 

Here's my link just in case

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/192536496311#shpCntId

thank you so much

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What are the dimensions of your package for final mailing? For Canada your listing is displaying letter rate  and from a quick look, it appears definitely too large for that service.  Maximum thickness is 2 cm's for letter rate. Specific minimum/maximum measurements are required for the system to assign the correct rates. And for your higher valued items you may definitely want to consider offering a tracked/expedited service to locations you ship to.

-CM

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hi CM

for Canada I use lettermail as I thought as long as it's below the max weight, it could work. I was told by the postal office, if it domestic, they usually allow it. But for International, they might not so that's why I put it in small packet category for International shipping. Is it because of this consistency?

I was curious and when I change it to flat rate for shipping to the US, it worked. But I don't want to put flat rate for other countries, that's why I put it as calculated.

Thanks
LL
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hello LL,

You may want to check out the following links to get some ideas on rates with and without and a Business account which you may want to consider if you are planning on sending out a volume of mail.  Anything over 50 grams but under 500 grams is considered oversized. It has to be under 380  mm x 270 mm x 20 mm to qualify and should only be printed matter. 

If your letter is larger than the maximum dimensions above you’ll need to use our parcel services. Check out our size and weight limits for letters and documents sent in Canada and internationally.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/letters-mail/postage-rates.page

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/letters-mail/letter-size.page

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

-CM

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hi CM,

ok thanks, I will take a look at that.

thanks
Lisa
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

A FYI for other sellers:

I just had a request from a US customer for a postage rate. When I check that  item it is not displaying any rates to the USA with either the calculator or the Calculate shipping rates on my Active Listing page (Offer Services tab displays options but unable to check off choices). 3 Services should display for the USA  for that particular item and when I checked the last time I relisted it was working fine except for multiple quantities. Curious to know if the old calculator glitch has returned? Anyone else getting similar errors?

-CM

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi CM,

Mine said 

"A shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid postal code."  Did it say the same?

But after I matched the packaging measurement and shipping type, the shipping price is shown. 

But I will need to check the rest of the items and see if I could resolve it the same way. 

LL

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

for Canada I use lettermail as I thought as long as it's below the max weight, it could work. I was told by the postal office, if it domestic, they usually allow it.

Postal Outlet ? Or Post Office?

Outlet staff are often poorly trained. (And Post Office staff have sore feet that make them surley.)

Lettermail goes through machinery as it is processed, thus the 2cm maximum.

To my mind that is the rigid measurement.

You might get away with 525 grams, but a 2.5cm package is likely to be jammed in the machinery.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi,

It was my regular Post Office.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know the lettermail will go through a machinery for processing. So I don't really want to damage the item. 

thanks much

LL

Message 9 of 9
latest reply