Shippo = Nothing but Problems

Since signing up with the Shippo service I've had constant issues. Shortly after I began using the service I discovered that the site was not pre-populating all the fields it once did. Shippo staff had no answer beyond whatever form response they had and their reply didn't even address my issue. I've had to manually fill in several data fields on every label. Nearly all my recent shipments have generated extra charges for being over the specified weight. This despite my checking my shipping scale multiple times. A number of my labels had no tracking and CPC had no idea where the packages were. Now I find that their is no pre-populating of any data at all when I go to print a shipping label in eBay and am transferred to Shippo.

Why do we even need this "service" when it now does nothing for us?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I am sorry to hear this has been your experience. Nothing to could further from yours than mine own with Shippo, it's been wonderful for me. Have you tried talking to ebay about this? It sounds to me as if there are fundamental flaws in the coordination of information between the accounts. 

Maybe try the Weekly Board Hour. Tyler from ebay comes to open it Tuesday nights for his response to those queries on Wednesday mornings. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

"A number of my labels had no tracking and CPC had no idea where the packages were."

Can you give an example of one of those? Like a screenshot minus identifying information on the buyer and seller, we might be able to add some insight. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

"Nearly all my recent shipments have generated extra charges for being over the specified weight."

Are you using metric or imperial units of measurement?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"Shortly after I began using the service I discovered that the site was not pre-populating all the fields it once did."

They stopped populating some of the shipment dimension fields once a flaw with that system was identified and re-started when it was fixed. I recall it was related to a conflict between imperial and metric units of measurement.

Or do you mean Customs data?

Customer data?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have used Shippo maybe a dozen times since it came out and I never had any problems. So far all of my packages (small packet and tracked packet) have arrived at my buyers, or for those I haven't heard back, I never had INR filed.

When I fill in the parcel information I do have the tendency to fill the max weight for that price bracket (for example, for a 232g package I'd put 250g when inputting info to Shippo) just in case.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have not dared to try out Shippo. Too many people have issues with it.  I use Snap Ship through Canada Post. I may not get as good a discount but have never had any problems.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@2nd-time-around-jewelrywrote:

I have not dared to try out Shippo. Too many people have issues with it.  I use Snap Ship through Canada Post. I may not get as good a discount but have never had any problems.

In the last 10 months I've had more problems with Snap Ship than I've had with Shippo.

The main choices for those with a free Solutions for Small Business (SfSB) membership and using Canada Post:

Canada Post EST Online

Antiquated (but still works). Requires credit card to pay.  Copy and paste for details.

Canada Post Snap Ship

Been around for less than a year, so more modern. Requires credit card to pay.  Copy and paste for details. Can arrange pick up by the post office ($).

PayPal

Standard SfSB discounts. Payment direct from your PayPal account. Can only be used for PayPal transactions. Address info is pulled from eBay for eBay purchases. Only offers a limited choice of Canada Post services.  Requires you to select the service before telling you how much it will cost (so inconvenient for price comparisons).

Shippo (eBay)

Additional discounts for Expedited Parcel (Canada), Tracked Packet (USA) and Expedited Parcel (USA) if it is an eBay sale, every thing else is the standard SfSB discount. Label fee is covered by eBay. Address info is pulled from eBay. Weight info (if set up for eBay.ca) is pulled from eBay. Offers most Canada Post services and allows easy price comparison. Allows you to pay with PayPal but usually with a processing delay (so you have to make sure to leave enough in your PP account). Option of buying third party insurance for your shipment. The interface is clunky. Not required, but I recommend getting an originate scan at your post office/outlet when mailing.

Canada Post (office or outlet) using stamps

Counter rate is the most expensive, but you can pay with discount postage stamps (bought from auctions, dealers, online from eBay) to save. I mailed a small packet to the USA for $8.78 face value of stamps. The online rate would have been $8.49 -- but the stamps cost me less than $7 -- so I saved. Takes more time to do than an online label. But as a former stamp collector, more fun.

---

I use them all with a primary eye on saving money where possible. If one method has a temporary issue I switch to another -- no brand loyalty at all...

-..-

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I also have never signed on with Shippo. I use PayPal shipping integrated with my Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account which gives same small discount as Snap Ship, but allows for the ability to pay for shipping labels with PayPal. Easy, convenient and no problems.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mrdutch1001wrote:
... I use PayPal shipping integrated with my Canada Post Solutions for Small Business account which gives same small discount as Snap Ship, but allows for the ability to pay for shipping labels with PayPal. ....

The PayPal option will be around for another couple of years then expect a bumpy ride when eBay switches payment processing away from PayPal to Adyen.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hopefully in 2 years time or whenever sellers are forced to accept eBay's own payment system, that I am done with eBay! I already have all 1400+ of my item listings on another venue where PayPal is still the preferred payment system.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Shippo has been working well for me but I always have the "invalid payment error" at the post office for shipments within Canada. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I ahve successfully used Shippo a couple of times, and avoided the reported problem with PO counter clerks by putting the labelled parcel in the postbox instead of handingit over the counter.

But- most of the time when I try to print a label, it tells me I'm not signed up with Canada Post. And it won't let me sign up with Canada Post. 

So mostly I use discount postage stamps.

A plague on all their houses.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@travis7swrote:

Shippo has been working well for me but I always have the "invalid payment error" at the post office for shipments within Canada. 

Then you have to train the clerk (since Canada Post is not doing it). The clerk needs to look at the label and see the SA/CF on the expedited parcel label that stands for SUPPLIER ACCOUNT -- and select the right option on the input screen.  It is really poor computer system design on the part of Canada Post.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply