E-Bay Made A Spelling Error

kimbsh-12
Community Member

While viewing an item, I can scroll down to Categories, and I've noticed three mistakes; which read as follows:
body piciering area
home kicthen
acution area
Obviously it should read:
Body Piercing
Home Kitchen
Auction Area

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@happy_pigeon

I got pink-slapped the other day for correcting the spelling and grammar of a member.

Not sure what happens when you correct eBay itself.

In my defence, I mostly correct grammar and spelling when the poster is lashing out. You know the "them chinese selers shoud lern to post beetter and not be such morans." kind of post.

Or if I feel snarky. Which is most of the time.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Snicker. You're going to get another 'pink-slip' for 'referring to a post that has been moderated and/or removed. As will I for mentioning it. Another no-no.

I have to bite my typing fingers when it comes to other folks' grammatical and spelling errors. I make enough of my own so it's the pot calling the kettle black for me. If I'm particularly annoyed with my 'better half' about something he's saying, I will mention he's mispronouncing the word 'moot' to which he'll reply I should mute.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Just wondering. So does this mean if in the future, when I'm creating a listing and i have a spelling error in the title, eBay will correct it and make it eBay correct? Sounds like lots of potential for problems.  And I spell in Canadian!!! <Nervous Look> Things to make one say hmmmm!!!

-CM

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead.-- Christopher Marlowe.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I'm always interested in hearing about eBay-generated spelling errors, so they can be fixed. However, I'm not sure exactly where on the View Item page (and for which item) they were found. Are you able to provide a link? Or, if the listing in question has been removed, a similar one?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Like I said, I can see these mistakes while viewing an item. Probably any item. Scroll down to Categories and there it is. But, in any case, here's a link. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/18k-Yellow-Gold-Plated-Austrian-Crystal-Chain-Bracelet-for-Women/26212872978...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Oh THOSE! That’s not ebay. That the store categories created by the seller themselves in that listing frame. The seller is a bad speller. It’s not an eBay Category. Although I can understand the reason you might think so. It’s part of the seller store.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Ugh, I'm such a noob. So much to learn and so little time.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

It’s okay, don’t feel discouraged. The seller Store Categories confused me greatly as a new-ish user too. Sometimes that frame at left follows eBay Categories exactly and other times it’s totally a product of the seller’s imagination. eBay lets the seller choose how they want to sort items in their store, it’s left to discretion. But I really did find it confusing at first, it took me a lot longer than you to see it straight. Also, you spotted spelling errors which puts you leaps and bounds ahead of many users here.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I don't try to be pedantic, but I do frequently find spelling mistakes. My record is the one I found on my mother's globe. In any event, thanks for not laughing at me; this site has been very hard for me to use. It actually has the power to put me in a bad mood; I just hope I can navigate it easily one day.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I hear you loud and clear. I used ebay first in 1999 when online shopping in itself was shiny, new and terrifying. I created this account in 2006 and even then, I found it tricky to distinguish between stores and linked listings and the scrolling gallery images that are now prohibited as active content.

But I thought the same that you did about those store categories along the bottom half of the page at left, they looked a little different back then as the styles of stores available has changed, but I distinctly recall being super confused about the search results handed back to me when I had inadvertently searched a seller's store instead of all of ebay. On multiple occasions. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply