Non Paying Bidders

What happened to the idea of a feedback system when you can no longer warn other members about non paying bidders with a neg. Seems you can only post positive feedback now ...

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Non Paying Bidders

@grannio204 wrote:

What happened to the idea of a feedback system when you can no longer warn other members about non paying bidders with a neg. Seems you can only post positive feedback now ...

The positive feedback left for buyers restriction has been around since 2007 -- it is not a recent change.

If you want to block non-paying bidders then set up that preference for your account;

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

And if you do get a non-paying bidder, open an Unpaid-Item case. If they do not pay they get a black mark on their eBay record -- and will end up blocked by sellers who don't want those type of buyers --- that is way more effective than feedback.

-..- 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

Thanks. I have done the resolution thing, and now have to wait up to 30 days to get some action. Why doesn’t eBay scrap the feedback system - it is totally meaningless now. How is my blocking a non paying bidder going to help other sellers? So I left this guy a “positive” feedback - check it out!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

That is going to get YOU into trouble when ebay removes it, it won't help other sellers.

Most other sellers have their non-paying bidder blocks set to the strictest amount: the lowest number of strikes over the longest period of time. Choosing that setting makes buying for those bidders more difficult and offers protections for all sellers. 

False positives, on the other hand, are strictly prohibited by ebay feedback policy. Your buyer can and will have it removed and the black mark will go on your account, not theirs. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 2.56.17 PM.png

If you want to avoid non-paying bidders use Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

@grannio204 wrote:

Thanks. I have done the resolution thing, and now have to wait up to 30 days to get some action. Why doesn’t eBay scrap the feedback system - it is totally meaningless now. How is my blocking a non paying bidder going to help other sellers? So I left this guy a “positive” feedback - check it out!

You blocking a single buyer has NO effect except for YOU.

What does have an effect for all sellers is the Unpaid Item black marks that would-be buyers get.

1) If the buyer has not paid after 4days -- you open an UNPAID ITEM DISPUTE.

2) If the buyer still does not pay, then you ask eBay to close the case in your favour after another 4 days -- you get your selling fees refunded and the buyer gets a black mark.  Where did you get 30 days?

3) Buyers with 2 unpaid marks against their buyer-ID can be blocked automatically by sellers. The seller has to set that up as a choice. It applies to ALL buyers -- no need for a seller to check for deadbeats.

Leaving feedback before a dispute is settled is a baka move.

-..-

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/allaboutfeedback.html

False positives are against policy. The comment must match the dot.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

Thanks for the warning. It doesn’t matter, as I am done with eBay. I only started selling a month or two ago, and eBay has changed too many things since I was last here. It just isn’t fun anymore. Thanks for your help, and good luck with your stuff.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

We are both in Winnipeg. I have often thought that ebay should support local mentorship programs so that people returning to ebay don't get turned off by all that has changed in their absence. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Non Paying Bidders

With fewer than 40% of transactions getting any feedback, eBay recently (last year?) stopping using it as a metric on sellers' accounts.

They stopped using the always flawed and never understood DSRs at the same time.

The only reason they are keeping feedback, in my opinion, is for branding.

Like auctions, another dying part of eBay selling, public feedback is something eBay is known for.

It's a 20th century legacy from the days when most people were nervous about buying online.

The Resolution Centre will return your selling fees, and add a Strike to your deadbeat's account.

As stated, most experienced sellers have an automatic Block set up on bidders with Strikes.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply