Alleged Crack in Handle of China Cup

Hello,

I'm selling some of my grandmother's old china tea cups and I don't know much about them other than the brief bits of info I've seen online.

A random person on ebay messaged me saying that there's a "crack" in the bottom of the handle of the tea cup that must be "very old" because it has "blackened". 

As I said, I know very little about these cups so does somebody know if what they're saying is true? I can see that there's very clearly a mark, but I just assumed that was where they attached the handle. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, sorry if I don't respond to questions right away, I'll be at work.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Alleged Crack in Handle of China Cup

294741692_1438259116653504_5351489344942202370_n.png

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It could be a crack or it could be a shadow where the handle was attached to the cup.

If it is the former, don't try to sell it, just donate it. Teacups are a hard sell these days.

If it is the latter, reply politely to the Message thanking them for their interest and letting them know that they were misinterpreting the photo.

You will get the odd note like this. Most are meant well, and you will be able to identify the rude ones pretty easily.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It's a hairline crack in the handle, I sold these years ago at the flea markets. It's damaged and of no value donate or trash.

Or change the listing to clearly state that the handle has a very old crack in the handle sold AS-IS.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

If this is one of the Paragon cups listed, do not trash or donate it. Those are nice cups that are desirable, but disclose until it hurts. I would consider ending the listing and do a new one as an auction starting at about a 3rd of the value of one without that crack. But first go over the cup very carefully to determine any and all issues. I have sold flawed, but desirable Paragons and some ok with them

EDIT:  I see that the cups are on auction already and the cup in question is up to over $600 US.   That is a bit trickier as the high bidder may not have noticed the crack.  I agree that it appears to be a crack in the bottom of the handle.  You will need to disclcose that to the high bidder ASAP when the auction closes and see if they wish to cancel, or come to a discount price.   The is a very desirable cup (large hand painted cabbage rose) and if that is the only flaw should still get 50% to 75% of one without the crack - it is all about the interior hand painting on these and will still display nicely.   

But some collectors only want no flaws.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You will need to disclcose that to the high bidder ASAP when the auction closes and see if they wish to cancel, or come to a discount price.

Personally I would Message all the bidders and let those who wish perfection retract their bids.

YMMV

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Very good point.  In this case when I wrote that the auction had about 20 minutes left so it would be an after the auction clean up.  Not fun. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I was thinking about this cup and checked up on the sales and see that it was relisted with the crack noted and got $255 US instead of the original $749 US.   Nice price for a tea cup either way but I would have thought it would still have fetched more.  

I wonder if it had been put on the shelf for a few months it would have done better.  Going back on the market right away may have put off the current bidders interested in it.  Taking a good break may attract new buyers that had not followed and possibly bid on the first auction.   Just a theory in hindsight, I would be interested in hearing what other sellers think.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply