Scammed

Hello,

So 1 month ago, I bought a camera using the buy it now function for $1,303.90 cdn, including shipping, and used PayPal for the transaction. The very next day I receive an email saying that the seller has refunded my money. I look on PayPal and it says "pending", so I figured he decided he did not want to sell. I was annoyed but could live with it. Well 2 days later paypal still takes the money out of my bank account, so I think maybe it was just a delay in the refund. Then eBay takes the listing down due to "suspicious activity with the sellers account", great! So obviously the item never arrived and I opened a dispute on eBay. I contact seller and no response naturally. I ask eBay to step in and they give me the 48 hour/ 2 day time frame. That time passes and nothing happens, I wait a few more days, than decide to email eBay. They say " that the case was already close last March 16, 2020 for buyer wins, seller fault. We will make sure that within this week you will definitely get you full refund on this transaction." I realize with everything going on right now it might be slow, but I am getting worried I may never get that money back. The pending refund on PayPal has been canceled 6 times now.

Thanks for any answers.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Scammed

I'm surprised these things still happen on eBay.   Did you call PayPal? sometimes talking on the phone gets things moving faster and it's easier to communicate your concerns.  If you call PayPal and get an answer and as long as they tell you that the money is or will be refunded, then you should have no worries. 

I don't thin you have much to worry about here, cause in worse case scenario, you can call your bank and dispute the charge on your credit card and you will get your money back.

Good luck and be safe out there

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Do you back your PP account with a credit card?

If so, the payment would have refunded to the card, not your PP account.

If you did not, or if the refund is not there either, you can open a PP dispute. The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your account page under Tools.

You have 180 days from Payment for this dispute.

Keep an eye on the Dispute. It's not enough to be told you won, you may have to take another few steps to accept the refund.

And again the money will go to your card not your PP account.

There is usually a Hold on payments to new or occasional or questionable  sellers, which means he may never have seen your payment before he was closed down.

If you do back your PP account with a credit card, you may also be able to go to the chargeback policy of the card for a refund, but go to PP first.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It sounds by your post that when you paid for the camera, you used "Instant Transfer" from your bank account.

Despite the fact it has "instant" in the name, it takes almost 2-4 business days for the entire transaction to complete. So, PayPal already instructed your bank to send the money.

So, imagine the scenario that PayPal sends you a refund and meanwhile the bank runs into an error and can't debit the amount. You would have more money, not the same as what you had before. So what PayPal does is wait for the original payment to complete (because it can't be reliably stopped). Then once it has the money, it issues a refund.

Your refund will probably arrive 6-9 business days AFTER your money was debited from your account. Because it takes time for PayPal to audit and ensure nothing went wrong. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the response, I'll try calling PayPal.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, I'll try the things you recommended.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestions!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply