Seems complicated

au6591
Community Member

It seems from my research that setting up to sell and all of the details is quite complicated.

I want to sell a few things a month. Is this the wrong place? I like the idea of selling on ebay to a broad base. Is it just that I'm reading too much into it? All I want is to post, sell, ship...Should I just do it and worry about the fine print later?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Seems complicated

It might seem like a lot of work to set up at first but once you are set up each time you want to add a few more items the base work is already done. Starting off with just a few things a month is probably the best way to go. You will get a feel for if it is the right fit without being overwhelmed.

Just a few suggestions to make it a little easier: When you first start I would recommend only selling to Canada and the US as it can be more costly (and complicated) to other destinations.

When you put your listing together you will see a whole bunch of "suggested" item specifics that may seem overwhelming but you do not have to fill them all in, the mandatory fields will be pointed out.

You can use "sell similar" after you have set up your first listing so that any common points or disclaimers, etc can be carried over (make sure you change the differences though!)

Another important thing to note is as a new seller you will have a waiting period before you actually get your funds. eBay has to ensure you are legit and will need proof of delivery before released.

I started off with just a few things also. It was hard at first as I expected instant results (doesn't happen that way), takes some time to get into the swing. There have been many changes here over the years but inspite of the challenges, I do enjoy selling here (well most days anyways!). Good luck if you go forward!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

The first thing to do is to make sure your Managed Payments account is in place and ready to go.

This requires a chequing account with a Canadian bank.

EBay may request your SIN, but they can't demand it.

I used my Passport for ID, DH used his driving license.

There is also a choice of micro -deposits, but many reports of problems with that which may be related to foreign exchange.

Without MP eBay has no way to give you money.

You can sell on any eBay site in the world, but start with dotCA and move to dotCOM.

You don't need a Store.

And a couple of cliches:

Sell only what you have on hand.

Picture as if you have no words: Describe as if you have no pictures.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

Thanks for the advice!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely start small.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

This might be against  the rules but there are udemy courses designed specifically for Canadians to get up and running on eBay in as short as time as possible… of course the forum is always available…

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

au6591
Community Member

Have my account set up. Going to list an item soon. I want to check on flat shipping rate packages first.

I also ran into the complication that most of the items I have are worth more than $1000 (crypto mining, computer) and that is the limit for starters I guess. Said that I am not elligible to ask for an increase. I will try something that is worth around 1k to start.

Thanks for the advice and help getting started.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

Glad you got your account set up, that's the first step! But I think $1000 item for your very first try is high.

I'd recommend trying something lower than that for the first time out there.

Good luck, which ever way you decide!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

totally agree! new sellers who list high value items are a target for scammers!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

au6591
Community Member

Okay. Good advice once again! Love the community 🙂

I'll find a few things to sell before I move into where I really want to be.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Seems complicated

I have are worth more than $1000 (crypto mining, computer)

You are going to get scammed, defrauded and cheated.

And if what you are selling is digital, neither eBay nor Paypal nor likely your bank will help since you can't prove delivery.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply