February 11th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Welcome to our mid-February weekly chat. Please go ahead and start posting at your convenience, we will join you at 1 PM Eastern as usual.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: February 11th 2015 Weekly Board Hour

Input from a victim:

1. Although eBay and PayPal have policies against selling counterfeit products, in real life, it is my experience that PayPal does not follow its own policy. My claim with PayPal was decided in my favour, however, they demanded I return (at my expense) the counterfeit product to the seller. In many countries it is illegal to mail counterfeit products, as it is here in Canada with stiff penalties. In addition, I understand that there are scams where the returned goods do not get you your refund, so you lose the product as-well-as your money.

2. After PayPal ruled in my favour, their Resolution Center only allowed me to either "Cancel Claim" or supply a "Tracking Number". This is not acceptable...

3. Instead of returning the products to the seller per PayPal's demand (Paypal cancelled my claim after 10 days for not providing a "Tracking Number"), I contacted my credit card company who instructed me to email my evidence to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (RCMP). Although it took some time (Holiday backlog), they confirmed my received goods were counterfeit (Quote from RCMP report: "Please advise RBC the Samsung product you received is confirmed counterfeit."). Now my credit card company is processing the chargeback with no doubt as to the outcome. Therefore, the seller will not get the product back, to resell, and he will also lose the money... GOOD! If the seller lived in Canada, he would have been charged with fraud as-well-as other offences.

4. As of this writing, the seller continues to be an eBay member selling products (Although eBay was informed of this situation weeks ago). To date, the only action I can detect is that eBay has removed this transaction from my "Purchase History". Why is eBay supporting the identified criminal acts of this seller?

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Hi!  One question today - in the "Active Selling" portion of My Ebay, why can't we always sort by number of views? Sometimes it shows as an option in the drop-down (two options, highest first and lowest first) but 90% of the time it's not there.  Sorting by highest and lowest number of watchers is always there, but number of views is so much more useful.

I've tried clearing the cache and logging on with different computers, doesn't make a difference.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

jpyne28
Community Member

A buyer receives his item Nov.26. Files a claim with paypal Jan. 20 and gets a refund Jan. 30.I was away to respond to paypal emails. I did not receive one email from the buyer or ebay before this.The packaged was trackable and insured.This was after 45 days.I check my ebay every day but not my hotmail full of junk.A message in my ebay would have avoided this problem. I have appealed..

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I have to leave now so I can't be here for the Board Hour but I would like to ask this: why are all the GSP threads still being merged into the two mega threads at the top of Buyer Central? Originally, the idea was to have all the GSP-related topics put together in those two threads because the GSP people were reading and it was easier for them to have all the posts in those two places.

But the GSP people stopped reading those threads months ago, according to what we have been told.  So what's the point of merging the threads now? The two mega threads have become unmanageable. Ebayers who come to the board with a GSP question sometimes can't find their answer because they don't know about the merging and they're not used to how the boards work.

Isn't it time to stop merging the threads?

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@ewatson2003 wrote:

Input from a victim:

1. Although eBay and PayPal have policies against selling counterfeit products, in real life, it is my experience that PayPal does not follow its own policy. My claim with PayPal was decided in my favour, however, they demanded I return (at my expense) the counterfeit product to the seller. In many countries it is illegal to mail counterfeit products, as it is here in Canada with stiff penalties. In addition, I understand that there are scams where the returned goods do not get you your refund, so you lose the product as-well-as your money.

2. After PayPal ruled in my favour, their Resolution Center only allowed me to either "Cancel Claim" or supply a "Tracking Number". This is not acceptable...

3. Instead of returning the products to the seller per PayPal's demand (Paypal cancelled my claim after 10 days for not providing a "Tracking Number"), I contacted my credit card company who instructed me to email my evidence to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (RCMP). Although it took some time (Holiday backlog), they confirmed my received goods were counterfeit (Quote from RCMP report: "Please advise RBC the Samsung product you received is confirmed counterfeit."). Now my credit card company is processing the chargeback with no doubt as to the outcome. Therefore, the seller will not get the product back, to resell, and he will also lose the money... GOOD! If the seller lived in Canada, he would have been charged with fraud as-well-as other offences.

4. As of this writing, the seller continues to be an eBay member selling products (Although eBay was informed of this situation weeks ago). To date, the only action I can detect is that eBay has removed this transaction from my "Purchase History". Why is eBay supporting the identified criminal acts of this seller?

Hello ewatson2003,

When you contacted me about this last week, I passed your email to PayPal to address the PayPal related issues. I think they already tried reaching out to you.

Regarding your question why that seller is still allowed on eBay, you should know that we take all reports seriously. However, just because you can't see anything change on a seller's listings doesn't mean nothing's been done. We never disclose the results of such investigations or any details on actions taken against another member, the same way we wouldn't tell someone else about action taken against you.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

What happened to Business Policies? There was an announcement many months ago that said ebay.ca would be rolling out this feature.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/business-policies.html

We were told to wait patiently until we were invited to opt in. For me, at least, that never happened. Or was I simply not invited to the party?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Good afternoon Raphael.

On your favourite subject of combining items on one invoice with lower shipping charges - with or without a "shopping cart" - I am still a bit confused as to when a buyer should go to eBay.ca or eBay.com or does it make a difference?

Please take a few minutes to review this thread:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/buyers-saying-item-is-unavailable-when-trying-to-purchase...

Is there a solution available to all buyers (regardless where located) and Canadian sellers (regardless where they list)?

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@cardzonejen wrote:

Hi!  One question today - in the "Active Selling" portion of My Ebay, why can't we always sort by number of views? Sometimes it shows as an option in the drop-down (two options, highest first and lowest first) but 90% of the time it's not there.  Sorting by highest and lowest number of watchers is always there, but number of views is so much more useful.

I've tried clearing the cache and logging on with different computers, doesn't make a difference.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi cardzonejen,

I just tried using your account and was able to sort by Views/Watchers. It didn't seem super accurate though and I'm not sure what the logic is supposed to be there since the watchers and page views are in the same field. I've reached out to the My eBay team to get this info and see with them if there might be something broken there. I'll update this post once I get the answers.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

I want to repeat a question I asked last time, which I don't think we managed to get to: 

Why did eBay remove those circular arrow icons from the "Unsold" page (denoting relisted/not relisted), and replace them with text?  It used to be so easy to run your eye down the page and grasp how many items needed to be relisted.  Now we either have to filter the page for "relisted" or "not relisted", or read every entry. 

This is another example of eBay breaking something that was efficient, user-friendly, helpful, and absolutely did not need fixing.  

P.S.  I've more or less given up asking about the "cart disconnect".  Please just tell us that somebody may be looking at this in the near future. 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@jpyne28 wrote:

A buyer receives his item Nov.26. Files a claim with paypal Jan. 20 and gets a refund Jan. 30.I was away to respond to paypal emails. I did not receive one email from the buyer or ebay before this.The packaged was trackable and insured.This was after 45 days.I check my ebay every day but not my hotmail full of junk.A message in my ebay would have avoided this problem. I have appealed..

Hi jpyne28,

Sorry you went through this. It sounds more like a CS issue though, and as such I would recommend reaching them to address this. Unfortunately we can only discuss/address non-CS, higher level product questions here.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

I have to leave now so I can't be here for the Board Hour but I would like to ask this: why are all the GSP threads still being merged into the two mega threads at the top of Buyer Central? Originally, the idea was to have all the GSP-related topics put together in those two threads because the GSP people were reading and it was easier for them to have all the posts in those two places.

But the GSP people stopped reading those threads months ago, according to what we have been told.  So what's the point of merging the threads now? The two mega threads have become unmanageable. Ebayers who come to the board with a GSP question sometimes can't find their answer because they don't know about the merging and they're not used to how the boards work.

Isn't it time to stop merging the threads?

Hi 00nevermind00,

I totally agree with your recommendation. I'll work with the forum admins to stop consolidating GSP topics. Thanks!

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

What happened to Business Policies? There was an announcement many months ago that said ebay.ca would be rolling out this feature.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/business-policies.html

We were told to wait patiently until we were invited to opt in. For me, at least, that never happened. Or was I simply not invited to the party?

Hi mjwl2006,

Great question. Unfortunately I can't really go in too much detail here but what I can say is that we are no longer moving sellers to Business Policies. Those who did opt-in before we stopped can still use it, but there will be enhancements made to BP before we start rolling it out again.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

PayPal's response was not acceptable. It assumed that the products are suspect counterfeit, when in fact all the evidence required to prove they were counterfeit was submitted at the time of the claim. This same evidence was acceptable to the RCMP. Therefore, PayPal's determination of my claim was incompetent.

The seller is currently selling a Samsung Tablet which is highly likely to be counterfeit as he has refused to provide its FCC ID. He is selling that tablet to the USA market and is therefore required to provide the certification information requested. That FCC ID is searchable on their website to prove if the product is genuine. Therefore, I understand why he won't provide it.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

"what I can say is that we are no longer moving sellers to Business Policies. Those who did opt-in before we stopped can still use it, but there will be enhancements made to BP before we start rolling it out again."

Hi Raphael - does your comment apply to eBay.ca only or does it also apply to eBay.com?

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael.

On your favourite subject of combining items on one invoice with lower shipping charges - with or without a "shopping cart" - I am still a bit confused as to when a buyer should go to eBay.ca or eBay.com or does it make a difference?

Please take a few minutes to review this thread:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/buyers-saying-item-is-unavailable-when-trying-to-purchase...

Is there a solution available to all buyers (regardless where located) and Canadian sellers (regardless where they list)?

Hello Pierre,

This is easier to explain from a buyer point of view rather than a seller's.

On eBay.com, buyers can only put items that were listed on eBay.com in the shopping cart. Any items that were listed on other sites they have to buy via the classic eBay checkout. This includes BIN items from other sites, which on eBay.com have to be paid for in order to "own" them (meaning until a BIN item is paid for, someone else could buy it). As a result, if a Canadian seller has combined shipping discount rules set up for their BIN items, buyers on eBay.com won't be able to get those combined shipping discounts. If a Canadian seller listed their items on eBay.com instead, then this problem goes away and US buyers can use the shopping cart to combine items.

On eBay.ca, the shopping cart was built differently: it can take any items listed on any eBay site in any currency, regardless of who or where the buyer is. We could call it a "universal shopping cart." This means that if a CA seller gets an email from a US buyer saying "I can't combine your items into one order, the site wants me to pay for each one individually with full shipping," the seller can tell them to go make their purchase on eBay.ca instead, where the shopping cart will work for them to buy the same items.

Let me know if you'd like more details. 🙂

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I was going to say, you should thank your lucky stars you never had the opportunity to opt in.  By all accounts that I read on the boards, it was an unmitigated disaster.  I see Raphael has mentioned it will be retooled -- no doubt for good reason. 

I use Auctiva which has very easy-to-use similar boilerplate business term features, and I suppose it would be nice to have a user-friendly and functional feature like that on eBay, but quite frankly (if I may state my opinion bluntly here), the concept of seller "business policies" on eBay is redundant and an oxymoron.  

Whatever business policies, shipping terms, etc. etc. you may want to state in your listings, eBay is the ultimate and only arbiter of what is acceptable as a business policy, whether through its listing rules and policies or its post-sale management and punishments.  

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"what I can say is that we are no longer moving sellers to Business Policies. Those who did opt-in before we stopped can still use it, but there will be enhancements made to BP before we start rolling it out again."

Hi Raphael - does your comment apply to eBay.ca only or does it also apply to eBay.com?

As far as I know (I could be wrong), it applies to Business Policies as a whole (all sites).

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

I want to repeat a question I asked last time, which I don't think we managed to get to: 

Why did eBay remove those circular arrow icons from the "Unsold" page (denoting relisted/not relisted), and replace them with text?  It used to be so easy to run your eye down the page and grasp how many items needed to be relisted.  Now we either have to filter the page for "relisted" or "not relisted", or read every entry. 

This is another example of eBay breaking something that was efficient, user-friendly, helpful, and absolutely did not need fixing.  

P.S.  I've more or less given up asking about the "cart disconnect".  Please just tell us that somebody may be looking at this in the near future. 

Hi rose-dee,

I'm sorry but I don't have insight on the motivations behind these kind of changes. Highly likely that it tested as a positive change with enough of a high score to get implemented. Like with any change though, it won't please everyone. All web sites who make changes see some users liking the changes and others disliking them.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Oh! I see. Thank you. I have a rather lengthy section of text on each and every one of my listings that explains all my policies and I was hoping that this new feature would streamline that. I realize other sellers were and are using templates but I'm working on a Mac and running Safari and most of the time I find compatibility issues with third-party software (as in it is not supported) so I didn't bother to try that route. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply