eBay allows sellers to list same item twice

I complained about a sellar listing the same item twice. In other words , they are offering to sell an item they do not possess.

The result has been , the sale goes thru for the better priced item and the second identical item sale , is then cancelled. 

this is ok with eBay ? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The other thing I noticed was , under the bids , there was one bidder who had a record of over 400 cancelled bids in the last 6 months. 

Plus other bidders who come in with minutes of each other with very high starting bids and then nothing. 

Something fishy happening here . What's up with that ? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

the sale goes thru for the better priced item and the second identical item sale , is then cancelled. 

The 'better priced item' is , I guess the lower priced item?

they are offering to sell an item they do not possess.

Or they have two of the same item. Even in collectibles that can happen

Another possibility is that when the seller sold his (only) item, he noticed that eBay had listed it again, without his knowledge. That has happened to me, and I think every seller with large numbers of listings.
To protect myself I occasionally go through my listings set to alphabetical order, and delete those ghost listings.

The other thing I noticed was , under the bids , there was one bidder who had a record of over 400 cancelled bids in the last 6 months. 

That is not a good thing.

It is a sign that the bidder is shilling -- making bids to push other buyers as high as possible, then removing his own bid leaving the other bidder paying more than necessary.

This is not allowed by eBay and can be Reported.

Plus other bidders who come in with minutes of each other with very high starting bids and then nothing. 

They are smart bidders.

The best way to win at the price you want to pay is to bid once and bid your maximum.

Many buyers add to that: bid at the last moment.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Not exactly. The seller who has offered the items cancels the sale of the second identical item, wasting everyone's time and is not negotiating a fair sale in good faith. This leads to mistrust and , in my experience , a bad experience on eBay.

i have been a buyer for years , always had excellent experience with great sellers. But  that type of disgusting behaviour makes me want to leave. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Ummm... offering to sell something you do not posses , isn't that also known as fraud ? 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply