Buyer paypal account not linked to ebay & wants to use their own shipping

merede2
Community Member

Buyer used BIN to purchase 2 high dollar items then emailed me and said, "I bought this with buy it now and i want you to know i have a pickup agent that will come for the pickup.i will be making payment through PayPal kindly email me a PayPal money request invoice direct to my verified PayPal email which is the same as my email address i would have transfer the payment instant through eBay but my PayPal account is not linked to my eBay account.Thanks". Buyer has 100% FB and has purchased other items on ebay. What do I do?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scifan57
Community Member
Don't agree to it!Your buyer is trying to scam you. Does your listing offer local pick up?If not,you don't have to agree to it. It is not the buyer who dictates the terms of sale to the seller,it is the seller who dictates the terms of sale to the buyer..If you agree to do what this buyer asks,you will have no Paypal seller protection. Contact the buyer and state that his terms are not acceptable.Tell him that you will only ship the item to his registered PayPal shipping address and will only accept payment made through the eBay checkout system. If he doesn't pay by 4 days after the listing ended,open an unpaid item dispute.If he still doesn't pay,close the dispute after 4 days and give hin an unpaid item strike.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi merede.. This is Canada's Answer Board not your own but i would be very concerned.

Kind of request SCAMs are made off. An off eBay request , agent pickup. I would be concerned about a highjacked account.

Pickup should be cash otherwise PP Seller Protection is lost. On line delivery plus signature for over $250. I would not do.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Don't agree to it!Your buyer is trying to scam you. Does your listing offer local pick up?If not,you don't have to agree to it. It is not the buyer who dictates the terms of sale to the seller,it is the seller who dictates the terms of sale to the buyer..If you agree to do what this buyer asks,you will have no Paypal seller protection. Contact the buyer and state that his terms are not acceptable.Tell him that you will only ship the item to his registered PayPal shipping address and will only accept payment made through the eBay checkout system. If he doesn't pay by 4 days after the listing ended,open an unpaid item dispute.If he still doesn't pay,close the dispute after 4 days and give hin an unpaid item strike.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Refuse.

If you do not offer local pickup, you are not required to allow it.

If you do offer local pickup, you are allowed to demand cash payment. And that is cash as in loonies toonies and hundred dollar bills.

As your other posters have pointed out, this is a classic SCAM. I am very glad you asked about it and prevented an expensive problem.

BTW- You can add Immediate Payment Required to Buy It Now items. You can also require that bidders have an active Paypal account without which their bids will be automatically Blocked. Both of these, and a few other useful options, are found in your Seller Preferences.

Also, go to the Site Map and find Manage Bidders. Add this scammer to your Blocked Bidder List.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

When a person bids or buys, they are agreeing to the seller's terms, which includes the seller's shipping method. The buyer pays the shipping stated in the listing and the seller ships it. There is no "I'll use my own shipping" option. It is either done your way or no way.

By the way, it is usually scammers who offer to use their own shipping. I wouldn't trust someone like this further than I can throw them.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

merede2
Community Member

I want to thank you all for your quick and helpful answers. I did respond to the "buyer" stating I would be using my shipping service as per the listing and requested he link paypal/ebay accounts for payment. I also sent invoice. But haven't heard anything from them. While it is disgusting, I am thankful. This could have been a disaster for me. Thanks again to you at ebay.ca:)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply