Counterfeit goods, so what?

Hello,

As botha seller and a buyer, I have had my experience with counterfeit goods here on Ebay. I have been fooled once with a USB flash drive which was too good to be true, and it turned out to be just that. I didn't have much help with Ebay getting my money back and had to settle for the seller giving me a partial refund - lesson learned.

I have been looking for a pair of Rayban sunglasses lately and cannot help but notice that probably half the sales are shameless fakes. Nobody can sell a pair of Rayban Wayfarers for 30 or 40 bucks, so why doesn't Ebay shut this stuff down? You may say that the sellers need to be reported in order for Ebay to act? Well, I have also noticed these seller feedbacks specifically claiming the buyers was sold counterfeit glasses,and yet people seem to ignore this tool for safe shopping. But the question stands - why does Ebay do next to nothing about this? Is the fee money so great from these counterfeiters that they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them? I don't get it.

I don't believe that Ebay can't realistically go after every scammer because of the sheer number of them - if the same amount of people decided not to pay their Ebay fees, you know damn well Ebay would become extremely vigilant and methodic about collecting their money owed. I guess it's about priorities.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Counterfeit goods, so what?

cbsalesnb
Community Member

It not only hurts the buyers, but I've recently attempted to sell certain goods, only to find that the ebay market is FLOODED with counterfeits with cheap prices and my lonely "good" item went unseen. It's actually impossible to sell certain genuine items for this reason, and it's also impossible to report the thousands of scammers.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Yes,  I can well imagine it would be impossible for a legitimate seller! But really, impossible to go after thousands of scammers? I doubt it very much, as I said, if it was thousands of people who didn't pay their ebay fees, you would see the most streamlined and efficient legal action to retrieve that money and it wouldn't take too long either. If they really wanted to, they could also apply as much energy and enthusiam into thinning out the herd of scammers. Just saying!

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Why do people think that if the price is not outrageous an item has to be fake or a knock off.

We have a chain of used merchanise stores here in NS,the stuff is from the states and alot still new with tags  ,where you can get designer names etc at resonable prices. I've gotten Burberry,Coach,Gucci etc.. so if I got a pair of Raybans I could easily sell them for 30 or 40 bucks and still make money...just sayin 🙂

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

I agree with novascotia to some extent. Many, even most, buyers don't realize how low true wholesale pricing is.

For example, booksellers complain that they get ONLY a 40% discount on books- although most publishers are very good about returns on unsold merchandise.

Jewelry runs about a 400% markup. I suspect clothing is about the same- which is why clothing can be marked down 50% (which is still a 100% markup) and be profitable.

And once that returned deadstock is wholesaled into the "thrift" and "discount" markets - like Frenchy's and Winners (different selling styles obviously) the markdowns can be even greater.

However, some of the items in those "thrift" stores could be counterfeit. I have seen the Salvation Army and Goodwill selling obviously fake Burberry and Louis Vuitton bags. The staff .... well, they are training people with difficult backgrounds to reenter the workforce, I don't expect too much from the staff.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

cbsalesnb
Community Member

Why do people think that if the price is not outrageous an item has to be fake or a knock off.

We have a chain of used merchanise stores here in NS,the stuff is from the states and alot still new with tags  ,where you can get designer names etc at resonable prices. I've gotten Burberry,Coach,Gucci etc.. so if I got a pair of Raybans I could easily sell them for 30 or 40 bucks and still make money...just sayin

There's more to it than prices. It's usually sellers from China, and prices are more than dirt cheap. The seller's feedback will have all kinds of comments about fake items, etc. I don't see anything in your listings that would make me think counterfeit.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

We have a chain of used merchanise stores here in NS,the stuff is from the states and alot still new with tags  ,where you can get designer names etc at resonable prices. I've gotten Burberry,Coach,Gucci etc.. so if I got a pair of Raybans I could easily sell them for 30 or 40 bucks and still make money...just sayin 🙂

i have heard of people buying netbooks from Frenchy's for $10. They were just missing the adapter.

But you are comparing apples to oranges. First, while both are round, apples have a softer edible skin.....

But really,you are talking about 2 different sellers. One is an authorized buyer within the distribution chain and purchasing items from reliable resellers for reasons other than normal sales (ie., distressed, 2nds, store closings etc).

Whereas the sellers on ebay are supposedly selling new items direct. First, the margin on electronics, especially computer related (apple excepted) are so very very low that there is no possible way to sell an item for a huge discount lower than anyone else without it being fake. The problem is that we are conditioned that batteries and cables (which are not electronics) have markups of 10-20x or more, so it seems plausible a flash drive, SD card, ram, etc. could be that cheap. But it can't They are all selling as close to the bone as they can. If you see an electronic device for a huge discount, with no apparent reason, it likely will be fake.

As for Raybans, they probably cost about $5.00 to make. You can buy a decent pair from dealextreme.com for that price. These are the same ones they sell for $40 on ebay. They are fake. Although the markup is huge, Rayban, and other brandnames do everything in their power to keep their margins up and do not sell to any of these stores and are not resold either. They keep their items within their trusted distribution network. They are fake.

Ebay definitely could easily limit the sale of these items but they don't and the OP is likely very close if not spot on the reasoning for it. at least IMHO

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

The price of new Coach bags can vary from under $100 to over $500 so perhaps a Coach bag in a store like that could be fairly inexpensive although I've seen them at Winners and they are more expensive than they are at the Coach outlet.

As far as Gucci, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Chanel etc...it is very very unlikely that you would find one that is new and authentic below $300 or $400 simply because there is no need for them to be sold that low and also because it is unlikely that the manufacturer would have sold their product for much less than that. As others have mentioned, many companies with designer items keep a very tight control on the price of their products and most do not want their items sold on sites like ebay so they are not going to "liquidate" them for super cheap and give someone an opportunity to resell them at a cheap price.

Unless a bag has been purchased from that brand directly or from a retail store that buys directly from the manufacturer (such as Holts', Neiman Marcus) it is a good idea to get a bag that you want to resell authenticated at the purse and accessory board on ebay .com or on the The Purse Forum (TPF) which has nothing to do with ebay.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Although I don't think that ebay does enough to prevent counterfeit products being sold, I don't think that it is as easy as some of yoou to suggest to "go after" those sellers.

They would need to have experts on anything that is counterfeit in order to truly "know" that an item isn't authentic. Sure other ebayers can report a listing or file a claim but how would ebay know that the other knew what they were talking about and that they did not have an ulterior motive for reporting an item? I know that I wouldn't want to lose my selling privileges just because one person (perhaps a competitor) told ebay that a bag  I am selling is fake.

The manufacturers of these products are the ones that have the experts and they should be the ones policing the fakes but google wholesale Coach bag and you'll see tons of fake wholesale places. I don't understand why they aren't taken down..I assume that it must be harder than I think it would be.

Ebay does have a VERO program and if a brand belongs to it, they can tell ebay to take a certain listing down because it is fake. The problem with that though is that some of the companies take advantage of the situation and will ask for a listing to be taken down just because they don't want their items sold here....even if they are authentic.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Although I don't think that ebay does enough to prevent counterfeit products being sold, I don't think that it is as easy as some of yoou to suggest to "go after" those sellers.

They would need to have experts on anything that is counterfeit in order to truly "know" that an item isn't authentic. Sure other ebayers can report a listing or file a claim but how would ebay know that the other knew what they were talking about and that they did not have an ulterior motive for reporting an item? I know that I wouldn't want to lose my selling privileges just because one person (perhaps a competitor) told ebay that a bag  I am selling is fake.

The manufacturers of these products are the ones that have the experts and they should be the ones policing the fakes but google wholesale Coach bag and you'll see tons of fake wholesale places. I don't understand why they aren't taken down..I assume that it must be harder than I think it would be.

Ebay does have a VERO program and if a brand belongs to it, they can tell ebay to take a certain listing down because it is fake. The problem with that though is that some of the companies take advantage of the situation and will ask for a listing to be taken down just because they don't want their items sold here....even if they are authentic.

It's not an all or nothing situation. There are many items that do not need to be determined by experts and many ways to measure it.

The OP didn't say that Ebay should stop ALL fraud, but do not do very much, it seems, to stop  fraud after it has been pointed out by the buyers themselves. The exact (well according to my memory) statement was that if ebay had a 1000 ebayers not paying their fees, they would act quickly but do nothing for fraud.

Here's a couple ideas off the top of my head that could work.

Have the buyers determine whether genuine. DSR - is the item fake? If you get a rating of 0.1% warning, limit suspension.

Have a warning for items that meet a threshold of counterfeit that pops up before an item is purchased, telling the person to verify the item and seller.

Have a separate "for profit" branch that charges to be a seller of these items. A simple permission allowance, like you do when doing auto payments with paypal. Want to sell Raybans? Get their permission to sell on ebay.

Have a screen on items sold well below normal retail value. Again a pop up screen can notify potential buyers.

Of course, all of these things would make it more difficult to sell items and more difficult to buy, so profits would go down.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

It's not an all or nothing situation. There are many items that do not need to be determined by experts and many ways to measure it.

I never said it was an all or nothing situation but ebay needs some way to determine whether an item is truly counterfeit, they can't do it because the buyer says it is.

The exact (well according to my memory) statement was that if ebay had a 1000 ebayers not paying their fees, they would act quickly but do nothing for fraud.

The comparison makes no sense to me.Ebay KNOWS if someone owes them money. They often do no know for sure if fraud is being committed so they cannot act on it until it has been proven.

I'm sorry but none of your suggestions are workable imo. As I mentioned earlier, often a buyer is not qualified to determine in an item is counterfeit and/or if a buyer is just trying to get something for free or cause a hassle.

I don't think that it is reasonable to give warnings just in case something may be counterfeit or reasonable to have sellers run around to get permission to sell a pair of sunglasses, a purse or a dvd.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that some items are being misrepresented and that people are being ripped off, I'm just saying that the solution isn't as easy as some might think. Although ebay definitely has some responsibility to prevent fakes being sold, I think that the responsibility has to shared by the companies whose products are being sold, by the sellers who are selling them and in some cases, by the buyers too.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I never said it was an all or nothing situation but ebay needs some way to determine whether an item is truly counterfeit, they can't do it because the buyer says it is.

The exact (well according to my memory) statement was that if ebay had a 1000 ebayers not paying their fees, they would act quickly but do nothing for fraud.

The comparison makes no sense to me.Ebay KNOWS if someone owes them money. They often do no know for sure if fraud is being committed so they cannot act on it until it has been proven.

I'm sorry but none of your suggestions are workable imo. As I mentioned earlier, often a buyer is not qualified to determine in an item is counterfeit and/or if a buyer is just trying to get something for free or cause a hassle.

I don't think that it is reasonable to give warnings just in case something may be counterfeit or reasonable to have sellers run around to get permission to sell a pair of sunglasses, a purse or a dvd.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that some items are being misrepresented and that people are being ripped off, I'm just saying that the solution isn't as easy as some might think. Although ebay definitely has some responsibility to prevent fakes being sold, I think that the responsibility has to shared by the companies whose products are being sold, by the sellers who are selling them and in some cases, by the buyers too.

you kind of did say that it was all or nothing. Just like neg FB can be extorted without ever saying the word extortion, you can imply that you meant all items when you say:

They would need to have experts on anything that is counterfeit in order to truly "know" that an item isn't authentic.

This implies that you are saying that in order to enforce any kind of counterfeit issues that they would need experts on ALL items that could be counterfeit.

As for the rest, to say the comparison makes no sense to you, I can't help. Simple statistics says you don't have to KNOW something to know it's true.

Then to say they cannot act on it until it is proven is just false.

Ebay can act on anything they want. They are not beholden to allow anyone to sell. If there are known fake items, they can just refuse to allow any and all items to be sold by all. It's possilbe. Would they do it? Probably not,because the cost to them would be prohibitive. So it's not a matter of CANNOT, but choose not, based on income and profit

The suggestions I made were off the top of my head and not the be all and end all. Obviously there would be details to be worked out.

Your example again, is patently false. To say you can't do something because someone may take advantage, well then no one would sell on ebay because there are scammers, but even you believe that buyer input would be acceptable (if you are honest enough to answer). For example, what if 1% said the item was fake, 10%, 90% 99%. What if there is a ton of backup proving that the items sold in general are fake, but not necessarily from that particular seller.

Memory cards and flash drives are widely known and proven to be counterfeit. Resetting the drive to read 16GB,or 32 or 64GB and then sending a 2GB. This is proven. Further many are items that failed testing and may be the large capacity but will fail prematurely or not write consistently

If there was a seller selling for under %50 of the sale price of others, and 75% of the feedback said they were fake, and it's a well known they are faked all the time, you think that is not reasonable enough for ebay to limit? Are you really saying that the only way to really determine it is if ebay has specific experts and proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the seller is selling fraudulent items.

You can argue the details about the price and FB and warning, but the fact is, it can be done.

The amount of fraudulent cards and sticks is still rampant (not just ebay) and I don't see a reason why warnings can't be put out.

I agree with the OP, that ebay would rather let it slide than have it hamper profits.

But the cost of these can be huge. Imagine going on vacation with a 32GB card and taking all your pictures. You get home to find out all you have is the last 2GB as all the previous pictures are overwritten.

Finally, you say,

I don't think that it is reasonable to give warnings just in case something may be counterfeit or reasonable to have sellers run around to get permission to sell a pair of sunglasses, a purse or a dvd

Again you imply an all or nothing thought process, whereas my suggestion was for items that are known to have a very high rate fo fraud.

As for sellers 'running around', that's what they do. You don't get to sell Raybans in a store without being an AUTHORIZED seller. Apple has AUTHORIZED sellers as well. This means when you buy from them you know it's genuine. To all others, the guy at the flea market, it's fake. If the seller only has 1 item make them say it's 'unverified' or make them state they are not an authorized seller. There's a reason why people pay $100's for Rayban glasses ( although I wouldn't). In fact, many items that have very high rates of fraud have independant methods of verification such as sports memorabilia with verifiable docs, and watches with registered serial numbers.

If would not be hard to have sellers be authorized sellers of items or not.

Finally, nobody said the solution was easy.That's a strawman you put up to help your argument. The rest is just a generalization, when the point of the OP was that ebay should be doing more than they are.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Why eBay does not work more to detect fakes ?

Because it's not their job. It's is a trademark owner's job to monitor violations and deal with them, otherwise if not pursued, trademark registration will become worthless. Enforcing trademark is expensive and why should eBay be spending our fees on something they have no business and authority to be doing. The current system is almost ingenious (from eBay legal point of view), once one party proves they are trademark owner, eBay pretty much gives them free reign over that keyword, they just point and shoot.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

leogexx
Community Member

As far as I knew it was illegal to sell knock offs in Canada , people say so what ? but there is a real issue coming from all of this knock off crap coming into the country . The knock offs do not stop at flash drives , there is also beauty items such as shampoo and perfumes coming into the country . This last year there was an article in the paper about knock off beauty items that were causing health issues. Seems lots of items were coming in with bad bacteria in them and some of these items were made with waste water . Just look at tattoo supplies and see all the chinese tattoo ink that is coming into the country without fda approval which could in theory be poisoning hundreds or thousands of people . . A good tattoo artist won't use these inks but there are lots of uneducated kids buying this crap and using it on their friends ,just as there are lots of people buying beauty items because it is cheaper then buying store items .

Ebay makes money off every transaction so it is their responsibility to make sure these knock offs do not come into the country or in essence they are the ones promoting of smuggling this stuff into the country .

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

coloured*sugar*cubes
Community Member

"Ebay makes money off every transaction so it is their responsibility to make sure these knock offs do not come into the country or in essence they are the ones promoting of smuggling this stuff into the country ."

That is certainly one of the most absurd things I've read!

You are joking right?

Message 15 of 46
latest reply

leogexx
Community Member

If ebay did it unknowingly they are not responsible ,but when they have been warned that an  illegal activity is happening on ebay such the sale of illegal items and they do nothing then they are in part responsible . Of course ebay has way too many items on line at anytime for them to know everything that is going on but they have to do more to stop the sale of counterfeit items as they are the ones responsible for making the market for these items .Of course you would probably prefer to see items come into the country causing canadians health concerns then to point a finger at ebay right ?

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Just reviving this thread to make a point.

After the discussion, just for kicks I purchased a 32GB microSD card from China.

And guess what....... yup, it was fake.

After testing it proved to be a 2GB card relabeled and flashed to read 32GB.

Just imagine using this to take pics or videos of your children, or storing your backup from work. Only the last 2GB would ever be available.

This is rampant on ebay and all over the world. I only recommend buying memory cards and USB flash drives from recognized sellers and retailers.

This is a prime example of the fraud that goes on in ebay and it's very easy to spot and determine. New users, very cheap cards relative to others etc.

There was also positive feedback left for the cards as well, so I am sure they didn't check them.

Before anyone says maybe just mine were fake, please understand, that the amount of fake cards is HUGE. Ebay does know about this but refuses to do anything about it beyond individual complaints. Unless someone like me complains this seller is free to bilk $100's so far from unsuspecting buyers.

Further, doesn't this actually hurt ebay once the buyer realizes they were stolen from?

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

I thnk there is a fine line here ...sd cards are a big overseaas scam for sure...then their are item like wii remotes where i purchased over 20 sets and when i opened mine and a chinese knock off they were identical with no difference except nintendo pays one chinese company to make them and the guys on here are not paid by nintendo... Alot off stuff people consider to be knock offs might be knock offs but originals are made in the same country with te same technology just paid by a company then buyers are like wow look this autethetic pair of sunglasses that cost 400$ meanwhile there neighbor has the same goods just not paid by the big boys to produce them... I find many knock offs come with same quality as the others just for a fraction of the price... I think if your a smart shopper you know what to buy and what not too...

Funny story my cousin when iwas growing up used to buy cheap clothes from gt and sew on old tags from names brand clothes and then her friends used to say omg that shirt is soooo nice meanwhile it was a $5 shirt from gt with a label froman old shirt sewed on...

Many people cant tell the difference even if it is right in front of them.. Sad that in todays society most so called experts for like Art etc are just everyday people claiming to be experts ... Good example it food and diets ... Someone losses 100pounds then bam they are a self proclamied expert and will tell you everything you need to know...

Shop safe shop smart and remember 95% of everything us consumers buy are made in countries overseas because its cheap....nike is a prefect example they make a pair of shoes for $3 overseas and we pay 150$ because omg its nike
Message 18 of 46
latest reply

I thnk there is a fine line here ...sd cards are a big overseaas scam for sure...then their are item like wii remotes where i purchased over 20 sets and when i opened mine and a chinese knock off they were identical with no difference except nintendo pays one chinese company to make them and the guys on here are not paid by nintendo... Alot off stuff people consider to be knock offs might be knock offs but originals are made in the same country with te same technology just paid by a company then buyers are like wow look this autethetic pair of sunglasses that cost 400$ meanwhile there neighbor has the same goods just not paid by the big boys to produce them... I find many knock offs come with same quality as the others just for a fraction of the price... I think if your a smart shopper you know what to buy and what not too... Funny story my cousin when iwas growing up used to buy cheap clothes from gt and sew on old tags from names brand clothes and then her friends used to say omg that shirt is soooo nice meanwhile it was a $5 shirt from gt with a label froman old shirt sewed on... Many people cant tell the difference even if it is right in front of them.. Sad that in todays society most so called experts for like Art etc are just everyday people claiming to be experts ... Good example it food and diets ... Someone losses 100pounds then bam they are a self proclamied expert and will tell you everything you need to know... Shop safe shop smart and remember 95% of everything us consumers buy are made in countries overseas because its cheap....nike is a prefect example they make a pair of shoes for $3 overseas and we pay 150$ because omg its nike

That most people buy brand names for the sake of the brand is a big conversation for another thread, but it's important to know the history of branding and how the brands contribute to encouraging knockoffs. Whereas brands used to mean quality, many today are just status symbols. Even if quality is still there, often the markup far surpasses a reasonable price due to the status of the item.

Rayban glasses,IMHO are a prime example. They are good glasses and likely cost $5 or so to make (or less) and sell for $100-150. To me, that is almost as criminal as the knock offs. There are other sellers/sites like dealextreme.com that sell these same knockoff glasses for $7-8. They hint that they are very similar to RB, but are not RB and are copies, but buyers have vouched for the quality. To me, copyright means little, so if they sell a good product at a reasonable price,I don't care if they copied the design. The problem I have is with people representing them as Rayban, selling for $40, when clearly they are not. I believe ebay should do more about this.

For clothing,I don't know much about them, so I can't really speak about quality vs status, but I suspect that status plays a very large role in many. If you profit directly of the status/name with a fake, I think that is wrong.

In general people need to be aware that most brands are more and more, nothing more than just letters on a product. For electronics, Apple, HP, Toshiba, don't make anything. They are made by actual chinese/asian manufacturers and rebranded.

Many are still stuck in the paradigm that brands are still made and that items made in China are crap, when as you said, most items are made in China (i include all Asia when I say that) and are even made in the same factories.

The next problem is as you say that items where it is a captive market ( wii, ps3, etc. ) margins are also greater. This makes it difficult to know whether you are paying for quality or name.

But with commoditized products, the margins are much much lower. For electronics, most resellers will make 3-10% on their items. Even big box stores like FS are selling at lower and lower margins. Laptops are essentially sold at a loss. Tablets are sold at cost or 10-20% mark up (apple excluded)

If you see any electronic item that is generally accessible and commoditized, if it's half price, there is a reason, and usually it's because you are not buying what they claim they are selling.

It's this aspect of items that I feel ebay should do more about, and memory cards and flash drives are a no brainer. These sellers can be filtered and banned. I found them easily enough.

And many buyers do not know that what they are buying is fake and take the 'guarantees' of ebay and paypal that they are protected, when they really aren't since they won't know it's fake, until it's too late, or to return the item will end up costing more than the item itself.

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

i dunno why it posted as a quote before

That most people buy brand names for the sake of the brand is a big conversation for another thread, but it's important to know the history of branding and how the brands contribute to encouraging knockoffs. Whereas brands used to mean quality, many today are just status symbols. Even if quality is still there, often the markup far surpasses a reasonable price due to the status of the item.

Rayban glasses,IMHO are a prime example. They are good glasses and likely cost $5 or so to make (or less) and sell for $100-150. To me, that is almost as criminal as the knock offs. There are other sellers/sites like dealextreme.com that sell these same knockoff glasses for $7-8. They hint that they are very similar to RB, but are not RB and are copies, but buyers have vouched for the quality. To me, copyright means little, so if they sell a good product at a reasonable price,I don't care if they copied the design. The problem I have is with people representing them as Rayban, selling for $40, when clearly they are not. I believe ebay should do more about this.

For clothing,I don't know much about them, so I can't really speak about quality vs status, but I suspect that status plays a very large role in many. If you profit directly of the status/name with a fake, I think that is wrong.

In general people need to be aware that most brands are more and more, nothing more than just letters on a product. For electronics, Apple, HP, Toshiba, don't make anything. They are made by actual chinese/asian manufacturers and rebranded.

Many are still stuck in the paradigm that brands are still made and that items made in China are crap, when as you said, most items are made in China (i include all Asia when I say that) and are even made in the same factories.

The next problem is as you say that items where it is a captive market ( wii, ps3, etc. ) margins are also greater. This makes it difficult to know whether you are paying for quality or name.

But with commoditized products, the margins are much much lower. For electronics, most resellers will make 3-10% on their items. Even big box stores like FS are selling at lower and lower margins. Laptops are essentially sold at a loss. Tablets are sold at cost or 10-20% mark up (apple excluded)

If you see any electronic item that is generally accessible and commoditized, if it's half price, there is a reason, and usually it's because you are not buying what they claim they are selling.

It's this aspect of items that I feel ebay should do more about, and memory cards and flash drives are a no brainer. These sellers can be filtered and banned. I found them easily enough.

And many buyers do not know that what they are buying is fake and take the 'guarantees' of ebay and paypal that they are protected, when they really aren't since they won't know it's fake, until it's too late, or to return the item will end up costing more than the item itself.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply