Estimated Delivery not accounting for Christmas or Boxing Day

Is anyone showing estimated delivery for Tuesday, Dec 27 for items going within Canada?

Canada Post is closed Dec 26 for Boxing Day and since Dec 25 is a Sunday the holiday is moved to Dec 27.

For sales last weekend my Canada estimate was - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2016 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2016.

For sales this weekend my Canada estimate is - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016.

Ebay is not accounting for either Holiday!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

That Estimated Delivery time is the worst measure I have ever seen.  

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

This might be one of those times where you need to call and lodge a technical complaint with Customer Service. I don't know if it helps but if you get Late Shipment Defects as a result of the miscalculation, at least you could say you tried to report the problem so it's not your fault. It wouldn't be the first time they forgot to count Boxing Day as a stat simply because it's a commonwealth thing. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Based on Canada Post's information.... December 27 is not a holiday.

Canada Post has specific rules with respect to which days become holidays if those days fall on a Saturday or Sunday.

Canada Post may be totally shut down... no mail moving... on Christmas day, December 25..  and is perhaps the only day in a year when this will occur...

With a 3 day handling time  I can deliver mail to the post office  on Wednesday, December 21..... and then wait until December 27...

December 27 is day 3 of my handling time schedule.if  sales occur on December 21....  ..

For sales that occur over December 21, 22 and 23.....  I will add a sentence  to emails sent to buyers indicating that I will wait until December 27 to deliver mail to Canada Post.... mainly because mail may not be moving in an effective manner over December 24-25-26.

Everything has been all planned...

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post is closed on national, provincial and territorial holidays, with no collection or delivery of mail on those days.* However, post offices operated by the private sector will be open according to the hours of service of the host business.

*Regular collection and delivery of mail occurs on provincial Family Day holidays, Louis Riel Day (Man.) and Islander Day (P.E.I.).

Official holiday schedule
Holiday 2016
New Year's Day (National)

Jan. 1

Good Friday (National)

March 25

Easter Monday (National)

March 28

Victoria Day (National)

May 23

Patriots' National Day (Québec only)

May 23

Québec's National Holiday (Québec only)

June 24

Canada Day (National)

July 1

Civic Holiday (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland & Labrador)

Aug. 1

Natal Day (Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia)

Aug. 1

New Brunswick Day (New Brunswick)

Aug. 1

British Columbia Day (British Columbia)

Aug. 1

Heritage Day (Alberta)

Aug. 1

Discovery Day (Yukon)

Aug. 15

Labour Day (National)

Sept. 5

Thanksgiving Day (National)

Oct. 10

Remembrance Day (National)

Nov. 11

Christmas Day (National)

Dec. 25

Boxing Day (National)

Dec. 26

* When a holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, it may be applied to the next business day. As such, post offices will be closed, and there will be no collection or delivery of mail.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

The 25th is a Sunday. Therefore, it will be applied to the next business day — being the 27th — since the 26th is already a stat.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Will be at the local postal outlet on Monday morning.... tomorrow

Most likely Christmas blues!  on my part....

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Yes, it is sad/pathetic that whenever there is a holiday ebay can't seem to figure it out and this is basically everytime. Like someone else said when this whole delivery standard came up .... "Until I see postal trucks saying ebay postal service, Canada Post is this countries postal service and that is what I have to go by not ebay's dreamed up estimates." and we know how that's working out .... it isn't.

Word locally is, since boxing day is also a stat that they will be also taking the 27th off in lieu. The plants will be open (OT for employees) but no mail delivery. I could be wrong.

I had a very unproductive call with ebay last week (could be why I don't get promo's): pointed out 3 IT issues that I am having, person agreed, the usual we are working hard to resolve it but aware of issues, yes including drafts going into cyberspace before I can submit. I explained I was  an "Apple" user so the drafts not being reliable is quite an issue ... said not to use Safari browser then, I did tell her after hesitating that I use Firefox for ebay, that my operating system is Apple as opposed to Microsoft..... she told me Apple is only a browser.. OK, took a real deep breath and let that go .....

I then asked with the amount of glitches and now numerous complaints even by buyers on the performance of the website, they are aware of the numerous problems, then what am I actually paying fees for and why should I keep a store open. Her reply was I agree with you and don't know. Another deep breath, rephrased it, OK you agree with all the issues so please "sell me" why myself or any seller should keep using the site and literally be paying for the painful experience, she said that she couldn't "sell me" as she agreed with everything I said . I also pointed out that I have been with ebay since 1999 and in certain areas feel that I do know a bit of what I'm talking about, yes I can see that blah blah. Call was ended pleasantly with the advise to me that Apple is only the Safari browser and since I had already stated I use firefox there shouldn't be any problems and they are working hard on the said IT issues.

Myself, if I get any late defaults and can't get them removed .... I'm quite feed up, depending on the situation I may just go to the media, as ebay is NOT listening.

Side note per ebay campaigning to get import amount raised ..... bluntly ..... you can't even keep your website up and running efficiently for 24 hours straight ..... please stay out of Canadian politics

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Customer service is generally obtuse when it comes to anything specifically for Canadians so for listings that haven't sold yet, you might want to change them to the generic standard shipping.  The est. delivery for a sale I made today with standard delivery is dec 20 to Jan 3.  It is suppised to be 2-11 business days do that still doesn't take the stats into account but it is a much better timeline.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I understand what you are saying but fortunately, my sales lately are with tracking and I'll be adjusting my shipping time, doing vacation mode or something to try to cover things in accordance with CP schedule. I'm also thinking that for what I sell, it is slowing down a bit and will pick up (hopefully) after Christmas. Even with the sales I had yesterday, the buyers themselves said they know they won't get it in time for Christmas and it isn't a "gift". So far so good, keep my fingers crossed.

Speaking of, I think that it was last year that apparently ebay didn't know that New Years Day was a stat and did count it as a shipping/delivery day .... they have had a year to educate themselves on that ... we will see

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I got a defect in early 2017 that I was able to successfully appeal due to that. The CSR could see (somewhere) that the EDD was incorrect. Also, Canada Post was running that banner across all their pages saying parcels may be late. Which helped my appeal case.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I got a defect in early 2017 that I was able to successfully appeal due to that. The CSR could see (somewhere) that the EDD was incorrect. Also, Canada Post was running that banner across all their pages saying parcels may be late. Which helped my appeal case.

Time travelling?  A useful skill for sellers...

2017 is the year to come -- Canada's 150th.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Alas, an even more useful skill for sellers than time-travelling or fortune-telling is to be able to use a keyboard. 

I meant 2016. That is what I should have typed. Thank you for allowing me to clarify that. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Ahem.... please allow me to correct my previous statement.....

I got a defect in early 2016 that I was able to successfully appeal due to that. The CSR could see (somewhere) that the EDD was incorrect. Also, Canada Post was running that banner across all their pages saying parcels may be late. Which helped my appeal case.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@ight.coin wrote:

Is anyone showing estimated delivery for Tuesday, Dec 27 for items going within Canada?

Canada Post is closed Dec 26 for Boxing Day and since Dec 25 is a Sunday the holiday is moved to Dec 27.

For sales this weekend my Canada estimate is - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2016 - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2016.

Ebay is not accounting for either Holiday!

Even worse, when I wear my buying hat ... I see that I have two purchases that gives Monday December 26 as the last day of delivery.

Canada Post is a bit vague and only implies that Tuesday will be a holiday.

However FedEx is up front and says they are closed Dec 25, 26 and 27 and January 1 and 2 in Canada.

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/serviceguide/holidays.html

For the USA FedEx is closed Dec 25 and 26. They are open on Tueday Dec 27.  Then closed January 1 and 2.

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/holiday-schedule.html

eBay really dropped the ball on this issue. They have failed to use the Canadian holiday schedule. And even if they substituted the USA holiday schedule for Canada they still FAILED.

-..-

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

This is an ongoing problem. It's the same around Easter. Good Friday and Easter Monday are both federal holidays and ebay has never, to my knowledge, gotten that straight. And Boxing Day.... it doesn't exist in the USA. It's a stat holiday in Canada and the UK and Australia but not the USA. 

Will anyone volunteer to call the 1-800-number tomorrow and confirm with Canada Post Corporation Customer service that the 27th is a stat in lieu of Dec. 25? The postal counters (authorized agents) might be open, depending on their own holiday retail schedules. They don't necessarily co-relate. 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post will not pick up from a postal outlet or deliver mail to a residence  until December 28....  after Christmas... December 25

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Haven't checked yet, did ebay account for one more day for New Year's (Canada Post closed Monday Jan 2)?

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

eBay never adjusts delivery estimates for holidays, closures, or etc.

Regardless of countless queries and complaints, they never have.

They've had years to deal with the matter and never have because they don't care.

Late shipment and other defects only help to diminish the numbers of Top Rated beneficiaries and their 20% FVF discounts.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply