FIGHTING BACK FROM DISASTER!!!

stevec8858
Community Member
Hi Everyone

Well I am living proof it can happen. My store was falling fast after the changes and I realized quickly that I had to make some serious changes FAST. So I did! After eBay live I went home to an empty store and low DSRs and 3 new Negative feedbacks.

First of all I relisted everything in a new format which I urge you to take a look at. I rarely get any questions and when I do the answers are always in the listing and I refer them to the lisitng. Everything from picture quality to showing how I ship the items in pictures. Every possible thing I could think of that could be a problem I tried to fix in the listing.

Next I attacked eBay with a million emails about the negative and the lowered search results. I managed to get 1 negative feedback removed and I also got a bunch of the run around. The 2 customers that left negative want to remove it but eBay won't let them. That has to change.

Then I went after tonnes of new feedback from people who hadn't left any yet. I emailed everyone making sure the service was perfect and that they understood that a low DSR would hurt me so please be kind. They responded helping me bounce back.

I now over communicate with customers during the purchase, after the purchase, then the shipping, right to the feedback. I almost know what they are going to leave before they leave it. Some don't respond but alot do and the 5 stars add up nicely to help build the overall rating.

Bottom line I am not finished yet. I plan on taking this to the 20% discount level and eventually writing a book on how to make it work for you! Listings take longer yes and it is more work to be on top of the buyers. it is really hard when the store never closes. Customers love it when you respond in seconds so I carry a laptop and my blackberry with me. I have the inventory and the motivation to go to Gold in the next 3 months.

I just wanted to put something uplifting and positive on the chat board. You just have to change your way of thinking people it isn't that hard. Ebay will work out the bugs eventually. In the mean time there is still alot of money to be made here.

Also don't take any crap from bullies! Those buyers are being picked off by eBay as I have seen personally from one of my customers that tried to change the deal after the purchase and threated negative feedback. BOOM gone!

Thanks for reading and keep the good karma going. Postitive thought make a great place to be!

Steve
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

stevec8858
Community Member
lina-mallows

Australia is the worst however they expect there. there mail used to be sorted in Thialand I beleive and only about 3 years ago did they set up their own mail sorting and distribution facility in Australia so they are very green and slow but most Aussie's know that and are pretty good about it from my experience. Maybe it too 4 months but I never had one go missing to Australia. Unlike:
South Africa
Spain
Mexico

Steve
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Australia is the worst however they expect there. there mail used to be sorted in Thialand I beleive and only about 3 years ago did they set up their own mail sorting and distribution facility in Australia so they are very green and slow

Where to people come up with this sort of fiction?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

stevec8858
Community Member
recped

That is what Canada post told me and it ws confirmed by a cutsomer in Australia.

Steve
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I read on one of the US boards that Canada Post use dogsleds to deliver mail..........

That doesn't make it true (although they actually did in the 19th century).

Australian Postal service will be 200 years old next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Post

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
recped - there is often a fine line between what is fiction, and what is fact.

Here's what AUSSIE POST has to say in their 2003/2004 ANNUAL REPORT
PARCELS NETWORK RESTRUCTURE

http://www.auspost.com.au/annualreport2004/_p_parc_network.asp

The $129 million program to restructure and modernise Postís parcel handling and sorting network was nearing completion by 30 June 2004. The program is critical to Postís future growth in parcels as it will enable greater efficiency in parcel processing, reduce costs, improve delivery performance and provide greater processing capacity.

The program has involved the construction of new parcel processing facilities at Chullora (in Sydney) and Ardeer (in Melbourne) as well as a major extension to Postís existing mail centre at Underwood (in Brisbane). During the year, Postís new automated large parcel sorting and handling systems were installed at all three facilities. Formal acceptance testing of the three machines was completed in April 2004. An additional component of the parcels restructure program involves the relocation of Postís existing small parcel sorting machines to these three facilities ñ at Chullora, Ardeer and Underwood. This component of the program was completed after the end of the financial year (in July 2004).

The parcels network restructure program resulted in major changes to the network in Sydney and Melbourne. In Sydney, the centralisation of parcels processing at Chullora involved the closure of five parcel facilities (Villawood, Rosebery, Chatswood, Kingsgrove and Leightonfield). In Melbourne, the Southern Parcel Centre closed in September 2003 and the State Parcel Centre ceased operating in January 2004.

Postís transport operations in Melbourne and Sydney were also restructured as a consequence of changes to the parcels network. The Melbourne Transport Centre (MTC) in Port Melbourne was closed during the year, with the facilityís administration, truck and linehaul operations moving to the new facility at Ardeer and its van operations moving to the Melbourne Central Hub (also in Port Melbourne). In Sydney, the Sydney North Transport Depot was closed in August 2003, with operations relocating to other facilities.

And further- REGARDING THAILAND-
http://www1.auspost.com.au/priority/index.asp?area=features&article_id=137&issue_id=8

The Things That Bind Us

Direct-marketing giant, International Masters Publishers (IMP), makes cards that people collect - what the company calls card continuity products. Its Australian cards include series on health, cookery, gardening, wildlife and music.

Now, IMP has appointed Australia Post as the distribution provider for its Asia-Pacific operation, and Post will distribute to IMP`s customers throughout Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. Already an Australia Post domestic direct-mailing client, this new contract is worth about $5 million a year.

Originally a Swedish-based direct-marketing company, IMP now operates in 25 countries. According to its Operations Manager Phill Vitek, the company does a direct mailout to several million people in the Asia Pacific region annually, working off rented and swapped lists, in addition to their own database. "All our direct-mail material for the region is currently printed and presorted in Thailand then sent to Australia in 40-foot containers for processing. Each consignment contains in excess of one million items which are sorted into the Australian mail system ready for distribution."

According to this, it appears, in this case LARGE volumes of specific mail are/were presorted in THAILAND, prior to being handed off to Australia Post. While apparently this may be unrelated to any overseas packages- it certainly reinforces the connection between MILLIONS of items being processed in THAILAND, before being sent to Australia for delivery.
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

stevec8858
Community Member
Nice work.

Thanks

Steve
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Steve - You're welcome.

It is most likely, that as AUSSIE POST consolidated, and expanded its parcel sorting facilities, the NEW contracts (shifting sorting from THAILAND to Australia) simply have been overwhelming their postal system.

With MILLIONS of new pieces of mail to process, I can see how someone drew a connection between some of the former postal activities in Thailand, and those presently in Australia.
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Hey nothing can top Italy, It takes up to 4-6 months to get there. And if item sent by AIR 30 - 60 days.
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
cottonwoodindustries- Thankfully it has been some time since sending items ot Italy. All arrived safe, and sound. Which, appears to be remarkable considering the track record of so many other's experiences of shipping there.

When eBay decided on a "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" method of tabulating DSR's they certainly didn't account for regional/geographical bias.
With rare exception, it is certainly easier for me to get an item delivered within the city I live, as opposed to across the country. Let alone, across multiple international boundaries, and postal systems of questionable repute. Ultimately- what a buyer's perception of timely delivery is, is totally subjective.
We all know there are buyers who pay (by PayPal) on FRIDAY night, and e-mail Monday/Tuesday, asking where their items are. You get used to it. You try to be polite, but it is annoying.
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

The same thing goes on in Canada, a great deal of bulk mail from International sources distributed in Canada is presorted in various offshore locations. Canada Post got their shorts in a knot a number of years ago when several huge Canadian bulk mailers were using Mexico and Panama as production points for catalogue mailings. Thereby getting Lettermail service for less than CP's unaddressed bulk mail rates.

None of this has anything to do with single piece shipments or local sorting capacity, it's all about large mailers saving pennies per piece on the printing and posting.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

stevec8858
Community Member
Apparently we are getting off topic here. Anyway you look at it shipping internationally can be a problem and recped is right thanks for your great insight that isn't constructive or important ant any level.

Anyways just thought i would share some successful tips with you guys and I wish you the best in your eBay endevours. Gotta get to work. Thanks for your input into my topic! Look forward to seeing you in the future at eBay events or just hearing from you anytime.

Regards,

Steve
Message 31 of 32
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
recped- "None of this has anything to do with single piece shipments or local sorting capacity, it's all about large mailers saving pennies per piece on the printing and posting."

And your point is.....?

When ONE MILLION+ PIECES of mail, presorted, or not, shows up at your loading dock- it has to go somewhere. AND- as it is there to be delivered, whether it has some impact on local sorting capacity, isn't the point.
It just does- whether you think it, or not.
The reality is that the whole Australian mail system is just not as well organized, or integrated as the USPS is.
Canada Post is not far behind. We most certainly have our problems here.

WARNING- CANADA POST RANT AHEAD..................

As an aside, we should be far less concerned about multinationals doing what they are legally obligated to do- that is MAKE MONEY- by SAVING MONEY. Canada Post be damned! Protectionism is one thing. Outright stupidity is another. Our Post Office got caught in an ORWELLIAN moment when it announced PERMANENT STAMPS.

Anyone remeber this Canada Post announcement:
"Available November 16th, 2006!
Canada Post today announced the introduction of a new non-denominated stamp that will retain its value forever"

What does "FOREVER" mean according to CANADA POST ???

On November 20, 2007 this CANADA POST PRESS RELEASE went out:

One year old and here to stay - The PERMANENT TM Stamp

Ottawa - A year ago, Canada Post introduced the PERMANENT stamp, a domestic-rate stamp which is always worth the going rate, regardless of when it is purchased.

What does "ALWAYS & REGARDLESS" mean according to CANADA POST ???

Does anyone have PERMANENT STAMPS handy, in booklet form?
Has anyone actually read what the terms of use are?

Here's what you'll find.......
"Canada Post reserves the right to terminate the PERMANENT stamp program at any time. Should this occur, you will be eligible for a refund at the then prevailing Canadian domestic basic letter rate for any stamp returned within the specified time."

So Canada Post RESERVES the right to TERMINATE- at any time- and REFUND WITHIN a SPECIFIED TIME.

PERMANENT- FOREVER- ALWAYS & REGARDLESS- NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

ORWELL would be proud!
Message 32 of 32
latest reply