February 10th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Weekly Session. I'll be here on & off for the day, so please go ahead and start posting your comments and questions.

Here are the issues I'm currently tracking:

• Wrong tax rates applied to PayPal labels
  • Estimated Delivery discrepancy between View Item page and Order Details page
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinations

• Odd missing gallery picture in search results

Updates:

• Sold items going into Unsold container - need live examples to be able to troubleshoot
  • Hard block on non compliant images only on relist/sell similar - Selling team is on this
  • SYI: Form resets IS when switching currencies. - Problem identified, Dev team is working on a fix
  • SYI: Form resets IS when trying to update handling cost - Problem solved. This item will be taken off the list.
  • Safari browser SYI exhibiting erratic behaviour when trying to select text in description in Revise - under investigation

Fixed:

• Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers (pending confirmation)
Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Raphael, if you're meeting with Pitney Bowes, can you be certain to mention the missing Tracked Packet ship-to locations via PayPal shipping? Pretty please?

Thanks,
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

It's on the agenda. 🙂

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Thank you! Please let me know of any results.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Like I said before every single item that has flat rate shipping to Canada and calculated international fails to show save on shipping to internation destiations. Simply choose lowest price and shipping on my store front and take your pick from nearly 1240 items. I hate having to explain myself over and over every single time. How can you be working on a fix when you have no idea what I am referring to???

In case you don't know, I don't fix the bugs myself. I rely on the teams who own the respective areas of the site to remedy issues. I can't apologize for forgetting some details about your specific issue when I handle reporting and following up on the many things that get reported here, plus my actual job which also need some of my time. I also can't apologize for losing sight of something I have brought to the shipping team months ago after you originally reported it.

It's for these reasons that it's super helpful to provide actual item numbers when reporting issues, whether or not it's the first time you bring it up. "Just look at any of my items" really just creates unnecessary work for me and slows me in handling everyone's issues. It might be frustrating to you but I assure you, it wouldn't seem unreasonable at all if you were sitting in my seat. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

eBay item number:111292648371

MESSAGE IS NOT VISIBLE to international countries = (Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts on combined purchases for eligible items.) Domestic FLAT RATE shipping and international CALCULATED shipping.

MESSAGE IS VISIBLE to domestic and international countries = (Save on shipping. This seller offers shipping discounts on combined purchases for eligible items.) Domestic CALCULATED shipping and international CALCULATED shipping.

What is the late delivery count to the point, if any, selling restrictions applied. Not even one week in and I have a late delivery count, sounds like I`m one of the lucky ones so far as numerous sellers have multiple late delivery counts all ready.

I'll leave the rest of my response to myself. 

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

Thanks for the item number, I see the issue myself and have sent it to the shipping team for investigation.

What is the late delivery count to the point, if any, selling restrictions applied. Not even one week in and I have a late delivery count, sounds like I`m one of the lucky ones so far as numerous sellers have multiple late delivery counts all read

If you're asking for the count of total late shipments recorded across all sellers, that's not a number I have, and if I had it, I wouldn't be at liberty to disclose.

I'll leave the rest of my response to myself. 

Thanks.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

I would like to know how the search "Best Match" is determined?  Best Match for who?  It is usually the most expensive, highest shipping,  that is given for best match.  

97% of the time, I search lowest price with shipping, the odd time, highest price or newly listed.  Each new search gives me "Best Match" again, that is so aggravating.

Wouldn't a better title be, "These sellers we are trying to push down your throat"  I would never buy from any of the sellers that come up with best match.  I would resort them to lowest price with shipping. 

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

I thought that we had to have a picture with each item that we are selling.  I spend hours taking pictures, picking the best one, cropping, etc. and then we have other seller that just  say " Picture is coming"  Picture on request"  and more of the same.

For example:

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I would like to know how the search "Best Match" is determined?  Best Match for who?  It is usually the most expensive, highest shipping,  that is given for best match.  

97% of the time, I search lowest price with shipping, the odd time, highest price or newly listed.  Each new search gives me "Best Match" again, that is so aggravating.

Wouldn't a better title be, "These sellers we are trying to push down your throat"  I would never buy from any of the sellers that come up with best match.  I would resort them to lowest price with shipping. 

Best match draws from a very large laundry list of attributes to rank items, some of which are relevancy to the keywords searched, "hotness" of the item (auctions with many bids, multi-quantity listings with lots of sales, etc.), seller performance, to name just a few.

A lot of savvy buyers, myself included, always refine their search and never use the Best Match rankings. To each their own.

As for whether we are "trying to push specific sellers down your throats" - we aren't. The algorithm ranks items so that the most relevant inventory is shown to the buyer searching.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

Raphael, Thanks for your response.  

Does anyone buy using "Best Match" alone?   If buyers don't use it, to buy from, then why have it.  I think that it discourages/confuses more buyers than encourages them.   They would say is this the best?  One I looked at the seller has over 1000 negative feedback in the past year.  Doesn't create confidence.  Sure they sell a lot but 1000 had a bad seller experience. 

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

What is the late delivery count to the point, if any, selling restrictions applied. Not even one week in and I have a late delivery count, sounds like I`m one of the lucky ones so far as numerous sellers have multiple late delivery counts all read

If you're asking for the count of total late shipments recorded across all sellers, that's not a number I have, and if I had it, I wouldn't be at liberty to disclose.

I am asking what is the maximum late delivery count / percentage that one seller would receive if / when ebay would add selling restriction to their account beyond the top rated status of 2%. 
Message 29 of 42
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I thought that we had to have a picture with each item that we are selling.  I spend hours taking pictures, picking the best one, cropping, etc. and then we have other seller that just  say " Picture is coming"  Picture on request"  and more of the same.

For example:

The seller who listed this clearly isn't following the rules, but is it really to their advantage? Would you consider buying anything from a listing that had only that picture on it? I wouldn't...

Message 30 of 42
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Raphael, Thanks for your response.  

Does anyone buy using "Best Match" alone?   If buyers don't use it, to buy from, then why have it.  I think that it discourages/confuses more buyers than encourages them.   They would say is this the best?  One I looked at the seller has over 1000 negative feedback in the past year.  Doesn't create confidence.  Sure they sell a lot but 1000 had a bad seller experience. 

I didn't say buyers don't use it. I said a lot of savvy buyers make their own refinements to their search results.

When we implement something like Best Match, we test the results to make sure it's a good thing to do. In this particular case, Best Match tested to be largely positive and drove a lot of buyer engagement which ultimately turns into purchases.

Don't forget that when we say something tested to be positive overall (say positive for 85% of the buyer base for sake of example), on a platform with more than a hundred million active buyers, there are still millions of buyers in that leftover 15%... 

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

I am asking what is the maximum late delivery count / percentage that one seller would receive if / when ebay would add          selling restriction to their account beyond the top rated status of 2%. 

In the Global program:

- 5% or more orders delivered late put you Above Standards (out of Top Rated)

- 9% or more orders delivered late put you Below Standards

In the US program:

- 3% or more orders delivered late put you Above Standards (out of Top Rated)

- 7% or more orders delivered late put you Below Standards

Orders are defined as all items purchased by the same buyer in the same day, no matter if paid together or separately.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

I have to leave for now but will leave the thread open overnight and complete the session tomorrow. Good evening & night!

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Raphael, if you're meeting with Pitney Bowes, can you be certain to mention the missing Tracked Packet ship-to locations via PayPal shipping? Pretty please?

Thanks,
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

It's on the agenda. 🙂

Perhaps you can get an long time issue with Tracked Packet USA (and maybe International but I never use International) since it inception 2-3 years ago. When in PayPal Shipping Labels and Tracked Packet USA is selected, all is okay. If you decided to change the shipping option to say Small Packet USA Air to see what it costs, the web page gives an error that something is wrong with the shipping option.

To work around this, I have to go and select the start option of Select shipping option (the default start option) in the drop down list, press continue, and it gives an error that no shipping options is select. Now I can choose the any shipping option in the drop down list and it will work.

I am fairly sure that Tracked Packet does not do a cleanup of variables set in the background and something is carried forward to the next option like small packet or whatever you choose. I do not think it is a big issue other that some simple housekeeping of what was chosen for Tracked Packet confusing the next selection of a different option. The trick of select the default Select shipping option does the housekeeping and all is cleared for a new shipping option to be chosen.

The most common scenario for this to happen is a seller sells an item on eBay and is using Tracked Packet as the shipping option. When you click on Print Shipping Label, the PayPal shipping label screen comes up with Tracked Packet prefilled. A seller then decides to see what Small Packet Air USA costs and changes the option and clicks continue. An error message comes up that something is wrong with the shipping option. No way to clear it other than using my Select Shipping option trick or logging out and back into PayPal.

This issue has been mentioned many times and nothing done about it. Please fix, it should be a nothing fix to reset the variables.

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Pocomo is correct; it is a nuisance. In my experience, this phenomena occurs ONLY with US Tracked Packet and not the International Tracked Packets, and it has been this way (to the best of my recollection) since Tracked Packet was introduced, or shortly thereafter.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Raphael. I guess I thought it was affected by the storm because it had until the 26th of January to arrive without being considered late and I thought it must have been held up during the storm period (going from Southern Ontario down to Florida). 

Also, some buyers do not realize that weekends are not counted as business days, and the US MLK holiday was  in there too. Yes, I do wish she had answered my message asking about the actual delivery date. I didn't send it in an accusatory (is that a word?) manner, just asked nicely I thought.

Thanks for the explanation about TRS, I just don't like having any marks against me on my dashboard!

You may be right about your shipment being "in the pool" since the later estimated delivery date is right in the affected dates. As such I have asked for clarification from a CS contact of mine.

The estimated delivery date shown to a buyer at Feedback should take into account holidays and weekends (eg. not count them as business days). However Pocomo raised an issue 2 weeks ago which suggests there may be a bug at play with this, this is under investigation. 

If you'll excuse me for butting in.... there is also the issue of the month-long Canada Post mea culpa over Christmas (and beyond) that acknowledged they were experiencing unavoidable delays. This ran at the top of each 'track this item' page. It was publicly admitted, apologized for, and real: right there in black and white with an orange flag. Most of my outbound parcels shipped with tracking during that time and I opened an unprecedented number of late-delivery tickets with the corporation as a result of this.

In my opinion as a seller, there should be NO defects allowed by ebay Canada on any parcel that crossed Canadian soil in the hands of the CPC as a result. That orange flag didn't disappear from their web pages until sometime after New Year's Day. As late as the 9th or 10th of January. 

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@  merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

I am asking what is the maximum late delivery count / percentage that one seller would receive if / when ebay would add          selling restriction to their account beyond the top rated status of 2%. 

In the Global program:

In the US program:

Orders are defined as all items purchased by the same buyer in the same day, no matter if paid together or separately.

I'm sorry, Raphael, but now I'm confused.  When the programme was first announced, my understanding was as you've set it out above (and I believe this is what has been displayed on my seller Dashboard ever since).  However, earlier in this thread you said: 

"Before commenting any further, let me reassure you: your TRS status is not at risk. Note the following:

• There is a minimum of 5 unique late orders before the late shipment rate starts affecting your account. Orders are defined as all items purchased by the same buyer within the same day (I'm not 100% sure how "day" is defined here, I asked the Standards team for clarification)."

Are these two completely different issues, or has there been an error in the way eBay has been displaying the limits to sellers?  

The reason I'm concerned is that 5% of the very few buyers these days who leave FB (and answer The Question) during the course of a year is a very, very small number for me (actually less than 2 "wrong" answers if my math is correct) because I have a low transaction volume.  

On the other hand, it might be some -- not much, but some -- comfort to know that it would take 5 unique late responses in my yearly evaluation cycle in order to affect my TRS and seller status.  

Can you please elaborate?  I'm trying to calculate how long I might be able to survive.  The only reason I've managed so far is because: (a) out of fear I started using tracking more often, although I can't continue that indefinitely and still make a profit; (b) I've had fewer sales in the past 4 months than usual; and (c) almost nobody leaves FB anymore.  

So I honestly believe your claim that we sellers shouldn't be worried is not based on the reality out here in the trenches.  From where I sit, just one or two mishaps -- weather delays or whatever -- over which I have no control, are going to knock me flying after nearly 9 years of exemplary selling on eBay.  It's not a pretty prospect. 

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Raphael,

I had to close my stores mid December until 2nd week of January due to family reasons. First time i have ever closed down over Christmas.

Because of these reasons my store sales were down and it only took one buyer from the US to bring my dashboard numbers down to where I am close to losing my TRS. I seem to remember that you said it wasn’t going to affect good sellers (and I am one). If you read my FB most of my buyers think that they receive their items quickly and that seller did give me positive FB. Now, instead of spending time listing new items to sell, I am having to spend my time editing my shipping from Standard to Economy. Yes this may help but in most cases this is actually overkill, my items will arrive before delivery estimate.

I have emailed my buyer and asked if she remembers how long the item took to reach her. (I ship same or next day). However, I have not rec’d any answer from her. It is very possible that the recent US storm had something to do with slow transport time, in which case the late shipping should have been removed as per ebay’s announcement – but how do I prove that? Evidently an item travelling from Canada through the affected area is not the same as one originating from or being delivered there. Anything else I can do about this? Thanks.

Hello msmaggie060,

Before commenting any further, let me reassure you: your TRS status is not at risk. Note the following:

• There is a minimum of 5 unique late orders before the late shipment rate starts affecting your account. Orders are defined as all items purchased by the same buyer within the same day (I'm not 100% sure how "day" is defined here, I asked the Standards team for clarification).
  • As a Canadian seller, you are considered Top Rated whether you meet the requirements in the Global program OR the US program. If you make one but miss the other, you are still getting your FVF discount.

There seems to be a display issue on the Global side of your seller dashboard. Where is says "5% or less" is allowed, it should say "5 or less" until such time as you reach that 5 count, then the percentage should be shown. I have raised this with the Standards team and someone is looking into it.

Regarding the specific late order you brought up, it's unfortunate that the buyer isn't replying to you, but they aren't obliged to do so. As for the impact of the snow storm on your shipment, I would guess the fact that the order was made 10 days before the storm hit and that the buyer isn't located in an affected area would put this order out of the ones protected by the announcement. I'm not saying that for sure the storm didn't cause any delays to your package, but given how the announcement is worded, I think this order on the other side of the line.

Raphael, the U.S. part of the dashboard also just gives a percentage (3% or less)  so just out of curiosity, is it 5 or less transactions there too?

Last week a poster mentioned to me that she was allowed to have 5 late shipments before her TRS was affected because of the low amount of transactions she has.I got the impression that she was quoting the following statement direct from her dashboard...

Sellers that haven't sold as many items can still meet this requirement based on quantity instead of the percentage.

Does that mean that some sellers shipping time will use just the percentage..not a number?

Also, I wonder if that statement only shows up once the seller has a late shipment because that particular seller does have more than one.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Thanks,
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

It's on the agenda. 🙂

Perhaps you can get an long time issue with Tracked Packet USA (and maybe International but I never use International) since it inception 2-3 years ago. When in PayPal Shipping Labels and Tracked Packet USA is selected, all is okay. If you decided to change the shipping option to say Small Packet USA Air to see what it costs, the web page gives an error that something is wrong with the shipping option.

To work around this, I have to go and select the start option of Select shipping option (the default start option) in the drop down list, press continue, and it gives an error that no shipping options is select. Now I can choose the any shipping option in the drop down list and it will work.

I am fairly sure that Tracked Packet does not do a cleanup of variables set in the background and something is carried forward to the next option like small packet or whatever you choose. I do not think it is a big issue other that some simple housekeeping of what was chosen for Tracked Packet confusing the next selection of a different option. The trick of select the default Select shipping option does the housekeeping and all is cleared for a new shipping option to be chosen.

The most common scenario for this to happen is a seller sells an item on eBay and is using Tracked Packet as the shipping option. When you click on Print Shipping Label, the PayPal shipping label screen comes up with Tracked Packet prefilled. A seller then decides to see what Small Packet Air USA costs and changes the option and clicks continue. An error message comes up that something is wrong with the shipping option. No way to clear it other than using my Select Shipping option trick or logging out and back into PayPal.

This issue has been mentioned many times and nothing done about it. Please fix, it should be a nothing fix to reset the variables.

Hi Pocomo,

That's an issue with PayPal, not PB. We told them many, many times about this, but it's still unfixed.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@  merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

In the Global program:

In the US program:

I'm sorry, Raphael, but now I'm confused.  When the programme was first announced, my understanding was as you've set it out above (and I believe this is what has been displayed on my seller Dashboard ever since).  However, earlier in this thread you said: 

"Before commenting any further, let me reassure you: your TRS status is not at risk. Note the following:

• There is a minimum of 5 unique late orders before the late shipment rate starts affecting your account. Orders are defined as all items purchased by the same buyer within the same day (I'm not 100% sure how "day" is defined here, I asked the Standards team for clarification)."

Are these two completely different issues, or has there been an error in the way eBay has been displaying the limits to sellers?  

The reason I'm concerned is that 5% of the very few buyers these days who leave FB (and answer The Question) during the course of a year is a very, very small number for me (actually less than 2 "wrong" answers if my math is correct) because I have a low transaction volume.  

On the other hand, it might be some -- not much, but some -- comfort to know that it would take 5 unique late responses in my yearly evaluation cycle in order to affect my TRS and seller status.  

Can you please elaborate?  I'm trying to calculate how long I might be able to survive.  The only reason I've managed so far is because: (a) out of fear I started using tracking more often, although I can't continue that indefinitely and still make a profit; (b) I've had fewer sales in the past 4 months than usual; and (c) almost nobody leaves FB anymore.  

So I honestly believe your claim that we sellers shouldn't be worried is not based on the reality out here in the trenches.  From where I sit, just one or two mishaps -- weather delays or whatever -- over which I have no control, are going to knock me flying after nearly 9 years of exemplary selling on eBay.  It's not a pretty prospect. 

Hi rose-dee,

There is a minimum of 5 late orders before anything happens to your account. I didn't list it there because I was strictly answering the question asked, which was about putting a seller's account below standards. 

Message 40 of 42
latest reply