Global Shipping Program

I was quite amused to read your website's discussion of your GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM  which states that it makes it easier for buyers to purchase items from USA sellers and at competivie rates!! 

In fact as a Canada buyer you are now preventing me from purchasing cds from most USA sellers because the shipping charge is often 2 or 3 times the cost of the item itself. If your goal of this program is to exclude Canada from purchasing from USA  sellers I can tell you that you have succeeded. I can now purchase items from places such as Europe and China for much lower shipping charges than you are forcing Usa sellers to charge and I think it is just a matter of time until they realize that you are costing them sales.

This  global shipping charge may be fine for expensive items but for small cheap items it becomes cost prohibitive for Canadian buyers. For a seller to worry about tracking a cd is ludicrous and not worth the  extra expense.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Global Shipping Program

This GSP reminds me of the "drive clean program" that some one thought of as "a great idea" but with all the evidence to the contrary  is still  alive and well.My point is I'm sure ebay is aware of GSP being a bad idea (in most cases counter productive to their average customers) but will not abandon it and admit defeat,at least for a long time. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@ja3988278 wrote:

This global shipping charge may be fine for expensive items but for small cheap items it becomes cost prohibitive for Canadian buyers. For a seller to worry about tracking a cd is ludicrous and not worth the extra expense.

The GSP info page pretty much says the same thing.  For some reason, though, sellers aren't finding this information:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Who should use the Global Shipping Program?

The Global Shipping Program is a great solution to streamline your operations if you’re currently selling internationally, your items have an average selling price of $50 or more, and you’re shipping parcels. It’s also the perfect way to get started selling globally regardless of the average selling price of your items.

Who might not benefit from the Global Shipping Program?

The Global Shipping Program is not a great fit at this time if your items primarily ship by freight, if you sell items with an average selling price below $50 or above $2,500, or if your items exceed the size and weight limitations. Also, the Global Shipping Program is not available for some restricted categories.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

GSP has turned me off.  I saw a sports card for auction starting at $2.00.  S&H was $16.00 and some change.  I emailed the seller to see if it was a typeo.  I told to the seller that past experience shows where an item of this size could be sent from the States with a tracking number for less than $5.00.   I got a very cordial, quick responce telling me GSP was the shipping method they used.  I thanked the seller and told them the S&H charge was excessive so wouild not be interested in bidding.  Thanks GSP people.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@queenpalmer wrote:

GSP has turned me off.  I saw a sports card for auction starting at $2.00.  S&H was $16.00 and some change.  I emailed the seller to see if it was a typeo.  I told to the seller that past experience shows where an item of this size could be sent from the States with a tracking number for less than $5.00.   I got a very cordial, quick responce telling me GSP was the shipping method they used.  I thanked the seller and told them the S&H charge was excessive so wouild not be interested in bidding.  Thanks GSP people.

It's not the GSP's fault that the seller chose an inappropriate shipping method for a two buck sports card.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I would just add my voice to the dissatisfaction with the Global Shipping Program. I have stopped purchasing from US sellers who use this program as the extra charges are excessive and not necessary for an item to enter Canada.      

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@westcoastmw wrote:

I would just add my voice to the dissatisfaction with the Global Shipping Program. I have stopped purchasing from US sellers who use this program as the extra charges are excessive and not necessary for an item to enter Canada.      

Just because Canada Border services sometimes doesn't bother to collect taxes due on a postal import as well as a C$9.95 handling charge doesn't necessarily make the GSP charges "excessive" or "not necessary".

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Yes it does when it's out of pocket. It's in eBay's best interest to listen to the people that provide their income. When people prefere to ship a certain method, eBay should listen. When buyers complain, eBay should listen.

It used to be an advantage buying from the US because of faster shipping than the rest of the world to Canada. The excessive shipping costs are a result of PB being honest in charging import charges and taxes for Canadian customers. However, Canada doesn't always follow their own rules. As a Canadian citizen I have learned to use their lack of enforcement to my benefit. If the US doesn't cater to this, then some other country will, making it more appealing to Canadians to do business with them (ie. China).

I cannot support a program that can't even tell me with which shipping method they will use, before I pay for an item. Rediculous!
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

you have to uase your noggin when you say things and know how things work!

Its not worth the time for canadian government to process a charge for a small ticket item and that is why they let a lot of items slide.

It would cost the government probably close to a 100$ to process a 2$ amount tax fee.

employees salary.

time used to do the paperwork.

the paperwork itself... paper aint free, ink aint free...

facilities fees and infrastructures

etc etc etc...

i know how the gov work because i work for them. and what we do sometimes makes sense and sometimes it does not but there is always a logic behind every gov action in the end...

If the gov would bother to tax every small ticket item that comes in canada it would run in the red, that is why it lets slide a lot of things even if it does not make any sense sometimes and you feel lucky because you did not pay duties or tax... the reason is above.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I don't disagree that there are a lot of instances where it doesn't make financial sense to collect taxes due on a personal import.

All that I'm saying is that just because Canada Border Services doesn't feel it's necessary to collect those taxes doesn't mean that the GSP doing it is unnecessary or somehow excessive.  It's merely following the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law.

I've found quite a few cases where what the GSP is charging above and beyond taxes is actually less than what CBSA charges, actually.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

just to throw gas on the fire.

imagine all the "extra" paperwork that this system generates for all of those trivial charges that PB generates because they follow the law...

i can see my tax money flying.... money that could have been spent on roads, hospital and education being spent on stacks of papers that have to be stored and handle by a bunch of bureaucrats when there was no need for it.

see that is another disadvantage of the GSP. it creates unecessary costly work for the canadian GOV all at the expense of your own tax money...

Just because some company though it was great idea to collect taxes on everything.... just shows you how things were not thought thru ar ebay central....

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@electric-pixel wrote:

just to throw gas on the fire.

imagine all the "extra" paperwork that this system generates for all of those trivial charges that PB generates because they follow the law...

i can see my tax money flying.... money that could have been spent on roads, hospital and education being spent on stacks of papers that have to be stored and handle by a bunch of bureaucrats when there was no need for it.

see that is another disadvantage of the GSP. it creates unecessary costly work for the canadian GOV all at the expense of your own tax money...

Just because some company though it was great idea to collect taxes on everything.... just shows you how things were not thought thru ar ebay central....

What work is being done by the Canadian government thanks to the GSP?  All the treasury has to do is figuratively sit back and take in the cash.  All the legwork is being done by Pitney Bowes or its subcontractors. 

And it wasn't "some company [who] thought it was a great idea to collect taxes on everything."  All commercial carriers are legally bound to have taxes and duties collected on imports that they handle.

Just shows you that some arguments are not thought through...

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Why waste money on Pitney Bowes???  The Canadian Governement is perfectl;y capable of collecting the appropriate  - if it so chooses.    And the gentlmen ahead is correct - the money wasted on Pitney Bowes could better used to paying for services and infrastructure - in Canada  

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

"The Canadian Governement is perfectl;y capable of collecting the appropriate  - if it so chooses."

Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world.  The current government has decided not to tax most parcels coming in the country even when subject to taxes.  Why?  Votes.  It is a sad statement on our society when political parties buy votes with the taxpayers own money.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

And the gentlmen ahead is correct - the money wasted on Pitney Bowes could better used to paying for services and infrastructure - in Canada 

GSP items actually pay MORE tax to Canada than non GSP ones, it is  the 100% application of existing taxes that most folk are complaining about.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Let's keep in mind that GSP is international - Canada accounting for a very small percentage of it.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@tango69 wrote:

Why waste money on Pitney Bowes???  The Canadian Governement is perfectl;y capable of collecting the appropriate  - if it so chooses.    And the gentlmen ahead is correct - the money wasted on Pitney Bowes could better used to paying for services and infrastructure - in Canada  

The GSP advances and remits tax in a manner similar to that of large commercial shipments.  Canada Border Services isn't generally enlisted to collect taxes due on international freight.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

If the gov would bother to tax every small ticket item that comes in canada it would run in the red, that is why it lets slide a lot of things even if it does not make any sense sometimes and you feel lucky because you did not pay duties or tax... the reason is above.

It would make more sense for Canada to raise the import limit to $200, like the limit for cross-border shoppers. You can write your MP at the House of Commons, Ottawa ON, K1A 0A6, about this and you don’t even have to stamp the envelope (Mark it OHMS instead).

And it would be more useful than many of the programs hidden in the Conservative's omnibus bills.

Those costs are being paid by Pitney Bowes to low wage workers in Kentucky (which I think is a ‘right to work’ state which effectively bans unions.) The US federal minimum  wage is $7.25 an hour. They also have infrastructure costs and of course they do actually move the parcel from their plant to your doorstep, which is never gonna be free.

For the record, businesses that collect and remit taxes for governments get a small rebate as a wage for their time. This includes Pitney Bowes and the guy who runs the Couche-Tard on the corner.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

I refuse to use the Global Shipping Program and avoid all listings using it like the plague. I want to use USPS ONLY from USA to Canada and will not deal with sellers who will not ship via USPS.

This new Global Shipping Program is nothing more than another horrible idea by someone who has never lived in Canada and shipped from the USA. It's ridiculously expensive and not worth it at all.

NEVER USE IT!!!!
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 20 of 20
latest reply