How much should I drop the price of an item if not in original packaging

Hey guys, I'm new to eBay and I could really use some help with this. When selling a collectible, how much should I drop the price if I'm selling it without the original packaging. Is there some ballpark figure (30-40% off the original price)? I understand there are a lot of factors, but I would appreciate any help I could get, thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Start with the amount you want to get for the item.

Base this on your procurement cost (if it was abandoned in your basement, that would be zero), add in your eBay and Paypal fees, allow for secure packaging, and your time spent primping, photographing, describing and listing (minimum wage in ON is 17 cents a minute).

Put it up at auction with Calculated Shipping and confirm that shipping to the US is clear to the buyer.

Double check that the item can be viewed and understood on a mobile device.

If the price is too low, you will get requests to end the auction and sell it immediately. Don't.

Most bids come near the end of the auction.

If the item was sold as a 'collectible', there is a very good chance that the manufacturer saturated the market. And the original buyers (or their estates) may also be disposing of collections. It's good to see that you understand that many collectibles are nice to own, but are not investments and may never even equal the inflation rate in value.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I guess after everything is factored in at the end of the day it takes time and practice. Ultimately it comes down to what the customer is willing to bid, box or no. Thank you for your response
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The answer to that question depends on about a dozen factors. Scarcity foremost. Condition, location, sale format, demand. Phase of the moon. Without seeing the item and being able to conduct market research on it, we can't answer your query but femmefan has done as good a job as can be done without specific information on the collectible. To ballpark it would be giving you very poor advice. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply