I live in Canada and want an idem from Russian federation is there more money due when delivered

I live in Canada and there is a item that I would like to order from Russian federation has anyone ordered from there before and is there an extra cost when you receive the item ad says may be customs processing ?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I live in Canada and want an idem from Russian federation is there more money due when delivered

Any import valued over $20CDN (about $14USD) can be opened and assessed for applicable duty.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/menu-eng.html

At the same time the item will be assessed for Canadian sales taxes.

Some items are not dutiable (used items for example, or bullion) but are taxable (used items).

So expect to pay sales tax.

The carrier is also allowed to charge a service fee for wrangling the item through this process. Canada Post charges $9.95 and couriers $25 and up depending on the assessed value.

Yes, that means you may pay more that the purchase price of the item in import fees.

To confuse the matter, while couriers like UPS must follow the law, CBSA and Canada Post employees have come to the sensible conclusion that it makes no sense to assess items when the cost of assessment is higher than the possible fees. Do they only look at high value imports or very bulky imports.

Which means your seller should ONLY use the postal system for shipping. (And Air Mail, but that's a different set of reasons.)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Yes and to bad we can't get this across to all sellers to stop using the GSP which is just a monetary ripoff of funds from international buyers.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply