Is this new? Ordered and didn't ask me to log in to Paypal - just went through. Safe?

It's been so long since I've bought on ebay due to Cdn. Dollar.  I did just place a small order and I was dumbfounded - it didn't ask me to log into Paypal.......but it did go through when I looked in my Paypal account.  New......and importantly safe?  Sorry if this question has been asked before!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Is this new? Ordered and didn't ask me to log in to Paypal - just went through. Safe?

@2011limey1 wrote:

...  I did just place a small order and I was dumbfounded - it didn't ask me to log into Paypal.......but it did go through when I looked in my Paypal account.  New......and importantly safe? ...

The last time I bought something, I noticed a box that can be checked, that makes the process automatic. I made sure it was unchecked, before paying. Not sure what you have to do to get it turned off.

While it might be more convenient to have the password turned on, it carries the risk that if someone gains access to your eBay account they can then spend the money in your paypal account with no additional effort.

If you're just referring to the paypal popup, that part should be secure. Other sites that accept paypal have similar popups.

-..-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

That checkout flow changed within the last month or so. 

I also have the auto-logged-into-paypal set to NOT because I am confident I will continue to remember my passwords when I need to do it, and it's not like I've ever had second thoughts on a purchase payment between ebay checkout and paypal that led to me dumping my cart and leaving. Auto-logged is not a useful feature to me.

While I'm fairly confident no one will sit at my desktop and start shopping on ebay without me, I do have kids in the house and they have used mobile devices enough to know that (although they cannot read) the blue button makes things go places when they don't like eat screen they're faced with. I don't need my kids shopping without my consent, I get enough of that myself as a toy seller here. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone - yesterday I posted a message and now can't find the reply to thank.  As mentioned yesterday, it's been a while since I bought on here - used to buy a lot.  Anyway, a lot has changed.

I mentioned yesterday that when I finally purchased a couple of items - the purchases went right through, without me having to log into my Paypal account as I always had to.  Yes, I can see it in the Paypal account so the purchase went through.  Someone (sorry, can't find it) said there was some kind of box you can check - somewhere if you don't want that to happen - I couldn't find it on the 2nd item.  Maybe it's me, but I don't feel safe without logging in.  I just phoned ebay and with language I don't know whether she understood what I meant.......she kept saying that if my credit card is linked to Paypal, then I don't have to log into it to pay.

Somehow I don't feel safe doing that - I know things are new within the past year.......am I safe doing this do you think.......and could someone explain to me where that "box" is - no way could I find it.  If I'm safe - o.k.

Thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Boy, within a year things have changed so much!!  I tried to put my first message on Buyer Central but it didn't end up there.  Sorry, I'll have to take a course!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Here is the link to the thread you started yesterday:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Is-this-new-Ordered-and-didn-t-ask-me-to-log-in-to-Paypal-...

. . . which has now been merged with the second thread!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I THINK I've been able to post this in the right place!  Thanks for your replies.  COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE WHERE THE "BOX" IS WHEN I DON'T WANT PURCHASES TO AUTOMATICALLY GO THROUGH PAYPAL - I want to be safe and input my Paypal password.

Sorry people for all my posts (in the wrong place)

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@2011limey1 wrote:

...  I DON'T WANT PURCHASES TO AUTOMATICALLY GO THROUGH PAYPAL - I want to be safe and input my Paypal password.

Go to your My eBay

select "Account"  (from the line under the "My eBay: **" page title showing Activity / Messages / Account  ... )

then select "Paypal Account" (left side)

then down to the Buying on eBay: line -- where you unlink eBay/PayPal accounts if you are linked

-..-

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

...and she opened a third thread!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Every time I make a purchase I'm asked if I want to connect eBay and paypal and I decline.

You must have accepted that pushy proposal.

No surprise you're finding that it's much harder to undo that it was to do.  Wonder why they are so determined to make us connect the two?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It's because there is a small subset of shoppers who appreciate the 'one-click' checkout because they don't remember their passwords and would otherwise abandon their carts. I'm not one of those. I don't store any of that information, I log in each time wherever I shop and re-enter my payment information. 

Isn't there a place under Account where you can link paypal to your ebay? Or is that only for sellers and invoice payment.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Isn't there a place under Account where you can link paypal to your ebay? Or is that only for sellers and invoice payment.

Look for the link "PayPal Account" under "My Account" in "My eBay".  (Geez, how many times can I use quotation marks in one sentence?)

You should see the option "Link your existing PayPal account to save time when you buy items."  (There I go again.)

Message 13 of 13
latest reply