New CAD Rules Coming

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/

eBay.ca sellers: Now’s the time to list in Canadian dollars

Since launch, eBay.ca has allowed sellers to select their listing currency – US dollars (USD) or Canadian dollars (CAD) – but starting this spring, (CAD) will become the sole listing currency on eBay.ca. Starting June 1st, sellers will need to use CAD when listing or relisting on eBay.ca. All remaining USD listings on eBay.ca (including Good ‘Til Cancelled) will need to be converted to CAD by August. Sellers who wish to continue to list in USD will need to move their listings to eBay.com.

We’re making this change in order to simplify the eBay.ca platform and selling experience, make it easier to bring new features to eBay.ca, and help Canadian sellers to be more successful overall.

We recognize that this change may be difficult for some sellers to manage, so we’re building a tool to help you to identify your affected listings and convert them to CAD, or move them to eBay.com, in bulk. Affected sellers can expect an email with more information.

Here’s where you can learn more about the upcoming change:

We’re here to help make this transition as smooth as possible for you. As always, thank you for selling, and for being a part of the eBay community.

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.AVcvxKFy.dpuf

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: New CAD Rules Coming

While I realize others may disagree, I think this is a good move. I sell in CAD and it works for me, overwhelmingly and without question. Buyers frequently come to the discussion board to question the reason there are any USD listings on a Canadian site. 

Plus, ebay.ca is offering support wherever possible to aid those sellers affected. Click the other embedded links above for more information.

Honestly, the writing has been on the wall for awhile. Ebay Canada was the only ebay in the world that allowed listing in multiple currencies. I think this will streamline the backend and make it easier for ebay.ca sellers to keep up with their counterparts.

Message 2 of 58
latest reply

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7752/

From the Managing Director's statement: "The analysis of Canadian seller data showed that we had outgrown the recommendation to list in USD and, in fact, listing in Canadian dollars (CAD) on eBay.ca was better for our sellers. We followed up this initial finding with further analysis, and the numbers consistently confirmed the same story. The numbers, however, are just one part of the story. When we looked at the ecommerce landscape in Canada, we saw that it had materially evolved, and many of the original reasons for Canadian sellers to list in USD no longer held true. Canadian ecommerce had grown dramatically, while at the same time, international buyers, particularly Americans, had become much more comfortable transacting beyond their borders and in foreign currencies. Based on the determination that CAD was the better listing currency for most Canadian sellers, we changed our seller guidance – you likely received an email to this effect last fall.  We also started making site changes, like setting listing currency defaults to CAD. - See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7752/#sthash.J9gPavoh.dpuf"

Message 3 of 58
latest reply

I'll have to respectfully disagree and will be pulling up stakes. Thankfully I've also felt this was coming and have already began a site buildout which will allow me to reduce my costs for my customers.

Message 4 of 58
latest reply

I will see a lost due to currency exchange. My paypal account is in USD. When a US buyer at .com sees my listing at .ca,  the currency in US dollar, (1st conversion from CAD), if he pays in USD, it gets to covert back to CAD (2nd exchange rate) at ebay.ca. When the buyer pays at Paypal, it converts back to USD ( 3rd exchange rate). When I transfer the money from Paypal to my Canadian bank, there is a 4th conversion. Do you think I make money there?

Message 5 of 58
latest reply

"My paypal account is in USD."

Every seller should add multiple currencies to their PayPal account so that your account can receive US$ and Cdn$ and other currencies if you list on other sites.

It takes less than one minute to update your PayPal account to receive both currencies.

If fact, sellers listing and selling in Cdn$ will SAVE all currency conversions when withdrawing money from their PayPal account (Cdn$ balance) to their Canadian bank account.

Message 6 of 58
latest reply

Haven't been selling since last year, so not up on any news.  Just wondering if anyone knows, if fees and billing will also change to Can$, or remain charged in US$.  If so, conversion still applies.  

Message 7 of 58
latest reply

Yes, this has been predicted on the Boards.

I prefer listing in US dollars since most of my sales are to the USA.

I suspect I will be moving all but my 'media' items to dotCOM as a result.

The reason I prefer listing is USD is that my FP/GTC items remain at a steady price (usually $9.99USD) no matter what the foreign exchange market does.

Listing in CDN means that my US customers will see my asking prices in USD on dotCOM but the price will bounce up and down from day to day.

I'll stick with dotCA for media to avoid the stupid media shipping cap on dotCOM.

Message 8 of 58
latest reply

That's decision-making based on smart analysis of your business reality.
Message 9 of 58
latest reply

When you list on eBay.ca in Cdn$, you are invoiced the Cdn$ value of the fee

If you list in US$, you are invoiced the US$ value of the fee.

For example if the listing fee is Cdn$0.35 and your billing currency is Cdn$ you are and will continue to be billed Cdn$ 0.35

If your "billing currency" is US$, then the Cdn$0.35 is currently converted to the equivalent US$ and that will not change.

For information how to change your "billing currency" take a look at

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/billing-currency.html

You may want to take some time to look at the eBay.ca fee schedule and understand how the currency used in the listing affects the fees you pay:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

Sellers with an eBay store should check the fee schedule (lower FVFs) that applies to store owners.

Message 10 of 58
latest reply

This decision is so frustrating and stupid! Most of my buyers are from the US and I know my prices in US$. If I am forced to use CAD $ on eBay.CA, I will have to constantly adjust my prices to reflect the exchange rate...

I could list on .com, yes, but then I would loose the shipping calculator and will have to count EVERYTHING manually.

Not to mention that on .com, the "domestic" shipping is the one to the US. So my FVF on shipping will be MUCH higher (they are almost non existant now, because I offer free shipping to Canada and rarely sell anything to Canadians).

And I cannot offer free shipping to the US... my items are not suitable for that. Most buyers will never pay the amount I would have to ask (especially the photos and postcards).

Litterally, eBay will destroy my business. I can't see any solution that would help me. 😞

Message 11 of 58
latest reply

Message 12 of 58
latest reply

They developed a tool to help with the transition. It's explained in greater detail through one in the links embedded in the announcement.
Message 13 of 58
latest reply

In fact my USD customer will have to get hit with the exchange rate fees. Do you think they'll like it?
Message 14 of 58
latest reply

Er, why?

US customers will see your price in US dollars if they are on the dotCOM site. European customers will see your prices in euros if they are on a European site, and so on. Just as it is now.

They pay in their own currency. Paypal changes it to loonies to pay you.

And yes, you pay those fees, not the customer.

Message 15 of 58
latest reply

This is a disaster for anyone listing in USD and their primary customers are US based. I will most certainly be affected in the case that there are many US  customers who are ignorant when it comes to currency. Even though on the search list it will show american dollars, they will, and I have experienced this enough to know , that this will confuse many American buyers. Not to mention the fact when they learn that they will be paying for currency conversion.

The two together will certainly hurt my bottom Line.This make me sick. I'm going to now have to change all my listing to .com..

Ebay says they will set up a tool to make the conversion easier. Well how about  you tools making a tool so that I can change all my listing from .ca to .com easy.

Ebay says there is no evidence to show that sellers are better listing in USD. Well that's your opinion. As soon as I listed in USD I improved my sales greatly. A much larger amount of americans than Canadians.

I have read on other posts where if I list an item for $100, all I need to do is change it to $130 CDN and all is fine. In my case you need to realise that the item is only worth $100 CDN. Where I can listed the item for$100 USD, and to the americans nothing has changed. In their minds. It still $100

This does not need to be driven down our throats.It doent hurt any seller to which currency they want to use. This is purely about money. Has nothing to do with study, or at least not the study they are telling us. Whats a matter Ebay, not getting enough revenue from Canada?

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

Well I changes 1 to .COM. Only a couple of 100 to go. Does any one know how to speed up this process. This is going to take a while.

Image result for charlie brown gifGOOD GRIEF!!!!

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

Ebay says they will set up a tool to make the conversion easier. Well how about  you tools making a tool so that I can change all my listing from .ca to .com easy.

Quoting from the first post in this thread (which you must have skipped over):

... building a tool to help you to identify your affected listings and convert them to CAD,

or move them to eBay.com, in bulk.

And from one of the links: May 2 will be when the eBay Listing Migration Tool becomes available.

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

Well I changes 1 to .COM. Only a couple of 100 to go. Does any one know how to speed up this process. This is going to take a while.

Image result for charlie brown gifGOOD GRIEF!!!!

You do realise that by transferring to .com, you will pay FVF on the US shipping cost right? I do agree with everything you say though. Personally, I am not really sure what to do...

I just tried an experiment again... listed 2 items tonight in CAD $. Well... I usually get a few "views" immediately after listing, especially with this kind of items... but not for them. They say we get more visibility by listing in CAD $... yeah right, tell that lie to someone else....

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

Well I see I am screwed with this.

Right now I can print shipping labels for US buyers if they buy either on .com or .ca.

When this comes into play I will not be able to print US labels when someone  from the US buys on .ca: smileysad:

Message 20 of 58
latest reply