New CAD Rules Coming

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/

eBay.ca sellers: Now’s the time to list in Canadian dollars

Since launch, eBay.ca has allowed sellers to select their listing currency – US dollars (USD) or Canadian dollars (CAD) – but starting this spring, (CAD) will become the sole listing currency on eBay.ca. Starting June 1st, sellers will need to use CAD when listing or relisting on eBay.ca. All remaining USD listings on eBay.ca (including Good ‘Til Cancelled) will need to be converted to CAD by August. Sellers who wish to continue to list in USD will need to move their listings to eBay.com.

We’re making this change in order to simplify the eBay.ca platform and selling experience, make it easier to bring new features to eBay.ca, and help Canadian sellers to be more successful overall.

We recognize that this change may be difficult for some sellers to manage, so we’re building a tool to help you to identify your affected listings and convert them to CAD, or move them to eBay.com, in bulk. Affected sellers can expect an email with more information.

Here’s where you can learn more about the upcoming change:

We’re here to help make this transition as smooth as possible for you. As always, thank you for selling, and for being a part of the eBay community.

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/03/22/7748/#sthash.AVcvxKFy.dpuf

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: New CAD Rules Coming

@mjwl2006 wrote:

No. In a philosophical example, perhaps. But, practically, no. Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself. 

Any listing created on any eBay in the world will fit into a Canada cart or France or Germany etc. then take that same listing and look at it on eBay.com or eBay.uk. No cart. It's not the listing. It's the cart. 

Practically from a programming and technical perspective. If one version isn't compatible with another concurrently operating version they are both broken, simple and plain as day. We'll just have to disagree and that's a-ok 🙂

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

FVF for shipping is calculated on the lowest cost for shipping.

If you list on eBay.com  and lowest cost for shipping is to Canada  then the FVF Is calculated on the  cost for shipping to Canada

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

If you list on eBay.com  and lowest cost for shipping is to Canada  then the FVF Is calculated on the  cost for shipping to Canada"

Yes from a Canadian sale.  But if you sell to the USA or INTL from .com you'll pay fvf on the USA shipping instead of the lower Can$.  Virtually all Canadian sellers who are setting up their shipping to more or less reflect actual cost will pay more in FVF overall listing on .com

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Don't edit 2000 listings by hand!!! You can bulk edit the currency in Turbo Lister. There's an official way when switching the currency for a .ca listing, and an unofficial but still fast and easy way when switching the listings from .com to .ca. I can give you the instructions if you decide to go that route.

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

"You can bulk edit the currency in Turbo Lister."

This is the second occurrence that I have seen regarding you stating this on the boards.

How about explaining it in detail since I keep running into brick walls with eBay's TL program.

You can PM me if you do not wish to share your ways with everyone.

I kindly await your instructions....

Message 45 of 58
latest reply

Sorry, I was reading the board backwards and didn't see your request in the other thread! It's there now! I'm happy to give out the instructions, I just didn't want to clutter up the discussions for people who haven't decided if they want to use TL or wait for eBay's tool.

Message 46 of 58
latest reply

If you list on eBay.ca

If you list on eBay.ca and a Canadian buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.ca and a US or international buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option on your eBay.ca listing, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item. If international or express shipping is the only service you offer, your final value fee for shipping charges will be calculated on that service.

If you list on eBay.com

If you list on eBay.com and a US buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.com and a Canadian or international (non US) buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

Message 47 of 58
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
I do only list some of my items on .ca but I do list them in Canadian dollars and to be honest, I don't even know if U.S. buyers notice that because they have never commented on it. You said that you would have to constantly adjust your prices. When you price your items do you base them solely on competitors pricing do you base it on what sort of profit margin you want to have?

I sell collectibles. Mostly items I don't want anymore in my collection or items I have twice. I base my pricing on the cost I paid for them and how much profit I want. I don't look at my comptetitors, because most of my items are OOAK items. So not really any competitors (especially for the props and wardrobe items from TV shows).

If you go on collectors discussion forums and want to buy an item privately, no one use their country currency. Everyone, and I mean litterally everyone list their item in US $ because that is the market currency that everybody understand.

I don't know how much a specific item cost me in CAD $ 2 years ago... I just know the US price I paid. With this currency change here, I will have to convert everything from the US price to a CAD price. And then adjust my price during the year if the exchange rate changes a lot. A real nightmare.

OR list on .com, pay more FVF on shipping and loose all the advantages of the shipping calculator of .ca (which implies stop selling internationally, because prices vary too much or calculate every shipping cost manually to every country).

Message 48 of 58
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

FVF for shipping is calculated on the lowest cost for shipping.

If you list on eBay.com  and lowest cost for shipping is to Canada  then the FVF Is calculated on the  cost for shipping to Canada

If your buyer is Canadian, yes. If your buyer is American or from another country, the FVF on shipping will be calculated on the US shipping cost. Because it is considered as the "domestic" cost.

See here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html#fvf

If you list on eBay.ca and a US or international buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

Message 49 of 58
latest reply

Oops! I intended to copy and paste the part explaining a listing on eBay.com not on eBay.ca. Sorry for the mix-up!

The link given is good and explain both. 😉

Message 50 of 58
latest reply

Thank you to the members above who have risen to the challenge of answering these technical questions. I saw on another thread that someone tried calling Customer Service for advice on how to do something related to the upcoming changes and I think you can all imagine how well that went.
Message 51 of 58
latest reply

I just checked your link and I thought that raccoon comment was hilarious too!
Message 52 of 58
latest reply

mmmcross

Thanks but I'd need to know before hand if I am going to be charged a listing fee when I upload from TL.

Due to miserable sales records/1%  I can only afford to list during listing sales and all that I have participated in before have stipulated that you have to use the, "Sell Your Item" system. One at a time. 

If I use your system and they charge me a fee will you cover me? 😄

Message 53 of 58
latest reply

Ha, I can spot you a few nickels for a test run! I have the same low sell-through as you and I rely on the promos too, and as far as I know you're always entitled to use Turbo Lister since that's their own in-house listing tool. TL can post as many or as few listings at a time as you ask it to, so it's not all or nothing. You can test it out with a single listing just to make sure everything is in order. It calculates the fees first and gives you the total, then you give it the OK to post them, and after posting it confirms how much you've paid in fees, if anything (and how much you've saved during a promotion). The harder part, from what I've read, might just be to import your listings into TL in the first place. I went with TL from day one, and it's not a perfect program but it's decent for managing bulk listings and edits for a larger inventory.

Message 54 of 58
latest reply

Hi femmefan

I was reading the new announcement & I can't find it again 

If you sell an item to a US buyer on dotca I will not be able to print a USPS label.

femme I ship my items from Sumas WA  & right now I can print USPS labels & a scan sheet 

I read once this Canadian currency change comes in I will not be able to print these labels

My sales are 99.9% US right now ( if I get any sales) slim pickens now

I know I can print labels for the US from Canada Post, eBay & paypal but they cost way too much

Right now I can ship an item that is 5" X 5" X 5" with a weight of 1 pound with tracking for $3.75 US

And for $6.10 US I can ship 5 pound item if it fits into a priority envelope 1 to 2 day shipping 

I wish I could find that information, it was like a chart showing for ca & com selling green & red check marks

of what you can & can't do for each site

I never ship any items to the US from Canada

I only use Canada Post for Canadian sales

Message 55 of 58
latest reply

@coveredbridge1957 wrote:

Hi femmefan

If you sell an item to a US buyer on dotca I will not be able to print a USPS label.

femme I ship my items from Sumas WA  & right now I can print USPS labels & a scan sheet 

I read once this Canadian currency change comes in I will not be able to print these labels

I know I can print labels for the US from Canada Post, eBay & paypal but they cost way too much

Right now I can ship an item that is 5" X 5" X 5" with a weight of 1 pound with tracking for $3.75 US

And for $6.10 US I can ship 5 pound item if it fits into a priority envelope 1 to 2 day shipping 

I wish I could find that information, it was like a chart showing for ca & com selling green & red check marks

If you are using paypal to print USPS labels now, you can always get setup with stamps or endicia as both can process Canadian credit cards. Other multicarrier providers like shipstation, goshippo, etc should be able to as well as they offer the ability to integrate Canada Post. Goshippo doesn't require a monthly fee so that might be one to look at. Their priority mail rates are better than stamps/endicia as well as you get commercial plus pricing vs commercial base.

Message 56 of 58
latest reply

Thanks himacdon

I may have to try them IF I am right in what I read
Still looking for the info that I read
Message 57 of 58
latest reply

@coveredbridge1957 wrote:

Hi femmefan

I'm not sure why you think that this is going to change. Now when you want to print a USPS label you have to go to .com to do it..right? The same thing will be true whether you list in Cdn or U.S. dollars. As long as you have some U.S. dollars in your account you should be able to do things the same way.

It looks like you already list on both sites now and changing the currency on .ca is not going to make a difference when it comes to printing labels.

Message 58 of 58
latest reply