Shipping alternatives

spidermanuj
Community Member
Hi

I guess this has been tried before, but I thought I would just attempt do gather everyone again and work on this.
Can't we all team up and sign up for a bulk shipper account with a reputed international courier like FedEx, UPS, DHL etc. My thinking is that our combined shipping bill should be substantial enough that the courier companies would love to consider..
Thoughts? past experiences..?

Thanks
Manuj
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Shipping alternatives

shoplineca
Community Member
Manuj
This was a very heavily discussed item in the spring of 2003 on this board.

Firstly, because of what quite a number of Power Sellers send out, CP is the only alternative (envelope size mailings). And some people live in areas remote enough that CP is the only shipping method.

Then there are liability issues as many of the shipping companies would only give the discounts under one company name.

Then there are those that have discounts already, perhaps better than a combined one given, so no advantage for them.

It must be further considered that if the discount is based on 50 members and 2 drop off, everyone suffers?

Or if the volume of a couple of sellers decrease, everyone starts paying full price with the carrier?

Then each of us has a personal problem with at least one carrier and all for very legitimate reasons.

Then one must also consider that shipping expense is not really an expense to the seller as we collect it from the buyers. How much time and effort should be spent in trying to negotiate with 4 carriers and bind 50+ eBay PSers when it may provide a slight advantage over competitors in selling when you can quote a shipping charge 24% less than him?

I personally negotiated a Level 3 shipping rate with CP in the very beginning and now I spend my time negotiating for the best prices on the items I sell as that is where my profit is.

Malcolm

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

rewelu
Community Member
Hi,

I just signed up with UPS and have gotten great rates.

I get 40% off published rates, with few conditions.
They also got me a free thermal printer and all supplies free.

They also provide free pickups.

You should definitely inquire ...

Hendre
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

shoplineca
Community Member
Hendre
All shippers will give you a discounted rate off their published rates, all you have to do is ask.

If you only negotiate with one carrier however, you will never know if your 40% is less than what you may have gotten from another carrier.

Malcolm
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

spidermanuj
Community Member
What is the minimum requirements to qualify for CP level 3?

Can you give me an example what will it cost you to send a 2kg parcel to UK? I am paying CAD $ 45-48 right

Thanks
Manuj
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

shoplineca
Community Member
Level 3 applies to Canadian shipments, Level 2 is for my US shipments and I believe overseas as well.

Express Post to Great Britain is $45.80 for 2 kg with delivery in 4-7 business days.

International Surface Parcel is $28.05 but CP will not publish their service standards for anticipate number of days for delivery. From experience it has varied from a low of 15 calandar days to a high of 32 calendar days.

Malcolm
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

whoscloset
Community Member
Here is a trick I found completely by accident.

I ship some large trunks primarily to the US. I ship on-line with Purolator without an official account. I pay as I go by credit card.

The great thing is I have never been charged actual cube for my items! Only the weight rate that they quote on their on-line quickquote page. This has saved me tons on shipping these larger items.

It won't work if you use a Purolator Account as they will back-charge you the cube. It also won't work if you call in your order as they request the LWH on the phone. You have to use their on-line system and do not use the "Advanced Shipping" feature where they as you the dimensions.

Monique

Monique

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Shipping alternatives

shoplineca
Community Member
Monique
I have done that as well with UPS and Fedex as well as Purolator.

The fact remains that even CP hasnt been cubing when I bring my own items to different Postal Outlets, nor charging me oversize when the item exceeds 3'.

I am certain, as I warned my CP rep, that CP would get a backlash from their corporate clients once those charges started being reviewed by the top finance guys in the companies and not just their Accounts Payable clerks that posted the bills or the Shipping Department.

Get one or two large companies seeing 45% increase in shiping charges for shipping the same products and I am certain that there were some pretty high level meetings between CP and some of their biggest clients.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 8
latest reply