Too many Canadians don't know about eBay

Has anyone else on eBay Canada noticed that not a lot of Canadians don't even know about eBay and have never even heard of it?  I have talked to many people and they either don't know about it or they have heard of it but are too afraid of buying on it.  I wish eBay would start an add campaign in Canada to let people know how great eBay is!

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Too many Canadians don't know about eBay

OK, well, I just asked some of these related questions at the Wed. board discussion, and here are the responses:

The reason you see a 95% - 5% cut between your US and Canadian sales is due to the relative size of eBay.com vs eBay.ca in terms of size of the business. I am certain most successful Canadian sellers see the same in their numbers.

@rose-dee wrote:

Another question related to the above:  Does eBay.ca have, or are you planning, any targeted marketing to Canadian eBay users (buyers)? 

That might go a long way to encouraging Canadians to buy from Canadian eBay sellers without reducing sellers' sales to the US.  It seems like a win for everybody, but why isn't eBay pushing this aspect? 

We have 2 local Canadian teams (Business Development and Deals) dedicated to ramp up Canadian inventory on eBay.ca. As such, we already do tons of targeted marketing to promote that inventory and will continue to increase this kind of outreach.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure I can recall seeing all those tons of marketing efforts directed to Canadian inventory -- anybody else?  When I log onto eBay.ca, I see a lot of ads running that lead to a lot of US and overseas sellers, and it's the same thing on my "Feed" page.  That marketing must be going on somewhere else ???

Message 41 of 82
latest reply

search for a product on google and look at the sponsored ads

"

1. Just Dance 4 Playstation 3
    Find Games, Hardware & Accessories Buy Directly from Canadians & Save"

Then the piles of links to Canadians to .ca that their affiliate payments fund from airmiles, ebates and banners all  over the place

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

"Canadians aren't looking to Canadian sellers first and foremost on eBay.  That's where eBay.ca could do some work (IMHO)! "

That is a very dangerous line of thinking.  It is called protectionism and does not work too well.

To suggest eBay should give some kind of priority to listings by Canadian sellers when viewed by Canadian buyers invites eBay to do the same for American sellers on eBay.com

Canadians would lose that battle!

The last time eBay.ca tried to give some special consideration for Canadian sellers (tracking exemption for TRS), it only took a month for American sellers to react and for eBay to pull the plug on Canadians.

Many years ago - back when sellers were charged $0.35 fee for gallery (display of the image in search result pages) - eBay.ca tried something to give Canadian sellers a break: a flat $50 a month for unlimited "gallery:".  Yes, you guessed it - within a month the deal was off.  It was so darn unfair to American sellers!

At the end of the day we have to compete with what we have, not by having special consideration given to us by eBay Inc (an American  corporation) because we are Canadians.

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

Best August ever (usually aug-sept slow), by far .  Not reflected on this id as had a free store on another.   Granted that is mostly from stumbling on to a good deal on inventory rather then anything ebay has done.  

USA sales are a low %, but that is because I usually ask a higher price then the going rate for a USA>USA sale on .com.  Pricing on .ca and even more so to Europe usually higher then the large USA only sellers list at.  As many sales to Europe as ever.  

That is another factor that has changed since ebay had the "!5% more likely to sell", American sellers of small items were hit with massive USPS rate increase to Canada

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

It's not surprising to me to see that kind of cross-marketing for gaming products.  I wonder if the same applies in categories that aren't related to electronics?  I can't recall seeing much effort at all in the categories in which I sell. 

But then this isn't what I was thinking of in terms of "targeted marketing" to Canadians.  Not simply displaying ads for products related to something they might already buy, or have purchased, but rather an awareness campaign to bring Canadian buyers to eBay.ca itself, or at least to look for Canadian sellers first. 

Maybe they do look on .ca or look at Canadian sellers' wares, and then compare, and decide that the selection and price is better from US sellers, with or without import taxes and GSP. 

'jt-libra' has a good point in saying that it's probably the product type (and I'd add, the price) that will determine how many or how few Canadian buyers a seller has, and whether it's worthwhile to list in $Cdn. 

Personally, I like the fact that by selling in $US and paying for supplies, expenses, shipping, and fees, etc. in $Cdn, I can use the currency differential to help offer lower prices and lower shipping anyway.  That will only get better if the $Cdn falls further, which a lot of analysts expect to happen.

Message 45 of 82
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Canadians aren't looking to Canadian sellers first and foremost on eBay.  That's where eBay.ca could do some work (IMHO)! "

That is a very dangerous line of thinking.  It is called protectionism and does not work too well.

At the end of the day we have to compete with what we have, not by having special consideration given to us by eBay Inc (an American  corporation) because we are Canadians.

Actually, I have to disagree here.  Protectionism is favouritism and closed doors, quite different from trying to encourage sales through awareness.  There is nothing preferential about that at all. 

That was what I was referring to, not the sort of special treatment that the Canadian TRS programme gave us.  I accepted completely that that idea had to go, as it was indeed preferential to Canadians, and accordingly unfair to US sellers who had to meet a higher standard.  I'm sure eBay got a lot of nasty feedback from its US sellers on that account. 

Yet "special" or preferential perks still do exist on eBay -- I'm thinking of the free subtitles on cafr.  I know you make use of those, and so do I.  When they're removed, I'll understand why.  Although such things do help Canadian sellers to reduce costs, they don't do anything to encourage Canadian buyers to look to Canadian sellers. 

You may remember the "Buy American" campaign of a few years ago.  It wasn't an exclusionary, closed-door policy, but an appeal to US buyers to look to US sellers before looking elsewhere.  Quite distinct from the concept of protectionism!

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

The currency differential really makes no difference.  Obviously if the exchange rate changes one would list at a different price.  Maybe if you hold the US$ in payapl and hope it works out in your favour over time...50% chance of being right! (or less if you account for it has to make up for the 2.5% to paypal first)

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

"currency differential to help"

Maybe we are talking oranges and apples.

When I refer to listing in Canadian dollars, it does not mean selling for less. 

It means getting in Canadian dollar the same equivalent value.  For example, if an item is worth (in the seller's opinion) US$ 175.00, then I would offer it to the equivalent Cdn$ 190.00.

(or US$ 17.50 list at Cdn$19.00)

It would not cross my mind to give away the currency differential.  There is no point in that.

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

"Although such things do help Canadian sellers to reduce costs"

Those free subtitles are available to all, Canadians and Americans! (they just don't know about it!) Smiley Wink

Message 49 of 82
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

The currency differential really makes no difference.  Obviously if the exchange rate changes one would list at a different price.  Maybe if you hold the US$ in payapl and hope it works out in your favour over time...50% chance of being right! (or less if you account for it has to make up for the 2.5% to paypal first)

'toby', all I can tell you is that is has made a huge difference for me, but it's possible that is true because I sell quite a number of higher-priced items.  Also, it isn't just things like eBay fees that I pay in $Cdn, but almost all my other expenses.  I do in fact usually hold funds in Paypal for a while if the $Cdn bounces up a bit, but for the most part, it's been sufficiently enough below the $US to make it worthwhile for me. 

I'm not saying it doesn't work for you, but I find it's been a very significant factor for me. 

For example, on an item that sells for ca. $200 US, I make enough in the residual exchange bonus (even after taking the 2.5% Paypal exchange fee into account) to cover shipping discounts on several other items, or to pay part of my FVFs, or to buy shipping or office products (which I buy locally) -- my choice, depending on current needs.

To accomplish the same thing I would have to list at a somewhat higher $Cdn price, which I think might turn off Canadians anyway.  So there would be no point in it for me if the purpose were merely to try to attract more Canadian buyers.   

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Those free subtitles are available to all, Canadians and Americans! (they just don't know about it!) Smiley Wink

True, but aside from some ex-patriots in the Louisiana area, how many Americans do you think would be able to navigate through the .cafr site en français in any case?  Woman Happy

Which is probably why not a lot of them take advantage of it (or even know about it).  If they accidentally landed on the site, they might think they'd ended up somewhere in European eBayland and quickly hit that back button.

The other factor is that a US seller who wanted to use that site wouldn't get the same seamless access that we Canadian sellers do -- again, another special perk.  When listing promos appear on my Summary page, the option is always there to use either .ca or .cafr.  I'm not sure, but I doubt that option is available to US sellers even if they'd want to use it.

Message 51 of 82
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

When I refer to listing in Canadian dollars, it does not mean selling for less. 

It means getting in Canadian dollar the same equivalent value.  For example, if an item is worth (in the seller's opinion) US$ 175.00, then I would offer it to the equivalent Cdn$ 190.00.

(or US$ 17.50 list at Cdn$19.00)

It would not cross my mind to give away the currency differential.  There is no point in that.

I did in fact understand from your earlier posts that would be your approach, Pierre.  But see my comments in Post #50 above.  My point was that unless my items had particular appeal to Canadians (and might not be so easily available outside Canada as well), why would I want to list at a price that might be higher than possible US competitors?  It would turn off Canadian buyers, and might dissuade US buyers who may not bother to check the $US currency conversion figure on the listing.  

It's not apples and oranges, but stamps and sewing patterns. Woman Very Happy

There isn't anything in my products that really has any special significance to Canadians, so I'm fairly certain I'd be doing myself a disservice to try listing in $Cdn just to attract a few more Canadian buyers, at the cost of chasing off my US purchasers. 

Message 52 of 82
latest reply

I'm so frustrated .... I've been able to read this thread but I wasn't able to reply for the last hour or so, due to some glitch, and there were so many comments I wanted to make.  It's like having an argument with your husband when you have laryngitis.  Smiley Very Happy

In any event, as time passed, others have said what I wanted to.  Sometimes I feel like rose-dee is in my head because she often says exactly what I'm thinking.

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

"why would I want to list at a price that might be higher than possible US competitors?  It would turn off Canadian buyers, and might dissuade US buyers who may not bother to check the $US currency conversion figure on the listing.  "

Higher?

It is not higher and I do give credit to potential Canadian buyers to be smart enough to see the numbers for what they are.  

I doubt very much that the average Canadian buyer would think an item priced at Cdn$ 190.00 would be more expensive than an item priced at US$ 175.00 (approximately Cdn$ 190.00).  Canadians are not that dumb, are they?

Similarly, an American buyer seeing Cdn$ 190.00 (approximately US$ 175.00) would not be deceived, would he?  Are American eBayers that stupid?  I do not think so.

I know you would not get confused.  Why do you think your potential Canadian buyers would be?

I feel there is a big misconception out there.

My point remains the same: if you are happy with your current sales volume listing in US$, ignore my suggestion and keep doing what you are doing.  For those who are unsatisfied with the sales volume and feel they should be getting more business from Canadians buyers, all I am suggesting is: give it a try.  What is there to lose?

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

True, but aside from some ex-patriots in the Louisiana area, how many Americans do you think would be able to navigate through the .cafr site en français in any case?  Woman Happy

Which is probably why not a lot of them take advantage of it (or even know about it).  If they accidentally landed on the site, they might think they'd ended up somewhere in European eBayland and quickly hit that back button.

The other factor is that a US seller who wanted to use that site wouldn't get the same seamless access that we Canadian sellers do -- again, another special perk.  When listing promos appear on my Summary page, the option is always there to use either .ca or .cafr.  I'm not sure, but I doubt that option is available to US sellers even if they'd want to use it.

You use cafr.eBay.ca to get free subtitles. The listing is viewed on eBay.com or eBay.ca English sites. No French is seen by the buyer on English sites since they are not logged into cafr.ebay.ca.

Message 55 of 82
latest reply

"how many Americans do you think would be able to navigate through the .cafr site en français in any case?"

???

Take a look at the link to eBay.com available in post #25

What do you see that would confuse an American buyer?  That is exactly what is seen on eBay.com, including the "free" sub-title in search result pages!

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

You use cafr.eBay.ca to get free subtitles. The listing is viewed on eBay.com or eBay.ca English sites. No French is seen by the buyer on English sites since they are not logged into cafr.ebay.ca.

And do you get another 50 free on this site (non-store)?

Also, occasionally, I get a question from a buyer in French, (in fact, the entire question screen is in French).  Would that be because she is contacting me from cafr.eBay.ca?  I have always replied in English unless I could translate a few words.  And if they are contacting you from the French site, are you expected to reply in French?

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

"And do you get another 50 free on this site (non-store)?"

NO.  Whatever number of "free" listings you are entitled to (with or without a store or during a promotion), the total number of "free" listings is the total of your listings combining .ca and .cafr.  So, if your limit is 50, you can have 20 on .ca and 30 on .cafr.

Since .cafr provides free searchable subtitles, there is no point in using .ca only.

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

Thanks Pierre.  Obviously the free sub-title is a huge benefit.

I'm still wondering though about inviting comments or questions in French.  For each of my transactions, I always contact the buyer to thank them and to let them know when they can expect delivery.  This often then leads to an exchange of questions or pleasantries. 

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

"I'm still wondering though about inviting comments or questions in French."

Been on eBay for sixteen years, Over 105,000 transactions, My name is as French as they come.  Yet, I do not think I had twenty inquiries (average one a year) in French over the years (except when I was selling stamp catalogues many years ago and some were asking for the non-existant French edition).

Message 60 of 82
latest reply