"A bit late" What is with a 25% increase in store fees?

I've been busy in my real job so didn't notice my $4 increase in my eBay store fee. I'm all for increases but a company this big going from $15.95 per month to 19.95 per?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: "A bit late" What is with a 25% increase in store fees?

The increase in store fees was announced back in April's Spring Seller Update.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/04/05/7758/

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"I've been busy in my real job so didn't notice...."

Looking at the few low value items you sold in the last three months why do you have an eBay store?  It does cost you more than your sales.

You can sell on eBay without a store.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I pay the extra and they double my listings from 500 to 1000. This saves me on the overages I was paying every month anyway.

Plus, every quarter, they give me $70 to spend on eBay branded shipping supplies.

I am actually saving about $15+ each month now.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I was also super excited about the changes to stores in the Spring Seller update. I need at least 1,000 per month and it was a mental thing for me to have to pay more to go past 500 listings. I'm also pleased with the coupon since it's keeping me well-stocked in flashy ebay-branded tape.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The changes to store fees and allotments was part of the Spring Seller Update for 2016.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/04/05/7758/

If you are a Basic Store subscriber on an annual subscription, you will pay an additional $12 per quarter, and the value of the benefits that you receive will be worth up to $165 per quarter. http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/features-fees.html

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I rarely reached the maximum number of listings allowed so the extra listings don't benefit me right now.  Although I understand that it has been a long time since they have increased the store fees, it does bother me that they promote that we get money for shipping supplies when in reality, if I used the coupon that comes with a basic  store, I would have to top it up with more money than it would cost if I bought similar supplies locally.  Of course that would only be possible if I had actually received a coupon code for this quarter which I haven't.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

... it does bother me that they promote that we get money for shipping supplies when in reality, if I used the coupon that comes with a basic  store, I would have to top it up with more money than it would cost if I bought similar supplies locally.  

I received my coupon this quarter, went to buy some tape with it, and quickly realized the price was more than quadruple the price that U.S. sellers were paying for exactly the same thing (and what I'd been paying locally through Staples).  Raphael justified the outrageous price difference by saying that it cost eBay a lot more to ship these supplies into Canada, but I can't understand the cost of the individual items being four times what it is in the U.S.  Many U.S. companies sell the same products to Canada as they do within the U.S. at close to the same prices.  This explanation makes no sense. 

I don't see the point in these coupons at all at the moment.  A coupon is effectively useless if we have to throw extra money into the purchase.  Besides, I'm not willing to pay 4 times the going rate for supplies in order to subsidize eBay's own advertising.  

The other thing that has crossed my mind is that some buyers may actually not want neighbours, family members, postal delivery people, etc. to see that a parcel is an eBay purchase, especially if the parcel is left on the doorstep or in an open, unlocked mailbox (like my country mailbox).  Such clearly branded parcels might also be more attractive to thieves.  For those reasons alone, I already hesitated buying eBay branded shipping supplies -- the sticker shock just dealt the final blow. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The cost includes shipping and most of those items are bulky or heavy so his explanation of the extra shipping cost makes sense. I'm sure that 25 boxes would weigh ar least 2 kilos so shipping by USPS would cost at least $40

But....they should have taken that into account when they set up the program for Canadians.  If they were going to advertise these free supplies as offsetting the higher store costs they should have first figured out how to offer those supplies so that they were a benefit for all store owners.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@thenumismaticfanatic1 wrote:

I've been busy in my real job so didn't notice my $4 increase in my eBay store fee. I'm all for increases but a company this big going from $15.95 per month to 19.95 per?

A lot of small changes, but the biggest (as I see it) was the increase in free listings a store could have.

Store details:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/stores/Subscriptions.html

-..-

Message 10 of 10
latest reply