Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

" I have never been charged a dime ONCE by Canadian Customs for buying toys, even hundreds of dollars worth from Amazon Japan."

If you are talking "hundreds of dollars worth" for 1 listing, then you were fortunate. At that price it is not unexpected to get dinged by CBSA.

"How long do you really expect people to put up with this?"

As long as the US sellers (their bread-and-butter) are happy and ebay continues to make a profit, don't expect it to change.

Message 4481 of 6,171
latest reply

I collect cameras and I buy a lot of them. Since GSP was implemented I have seen myself buying more from Japan sellers.
To me gsp is nothing but a rip off. I was ripped off a couple times but never again.
Message 4482 of 6,171
latest reply

Well my shipment took 9 days to travel from PA to ON, not too bad and I was expecting the shipping charges (around $26 - very heavy carton) and the prepaid import charge ($59) which I prefer is charged in advance, which FYI are mainly the Customs Brokerage Fee + Your local Sales Tax) and compared equally with similar shipments I've received from the US or Overseas to Canada.  So I didn't give it a thumbs down in this instance.  Yes I would have preferred the option of a speedier delivery but really it's not relevant in this case.

Those here that reported having to pay the import charge again should I hope have appealed it to eBay/PayPal.  I can only assume it was the delivery carrier either acting ignorantly or bad communication between carriers.

Peter
Toronto, Canada.
Message 4483 of 6,171
latest reply

"Those here that reported having to pay the import charge again should I hope have appealed it to eBay/PayPal.  I can only assume it was the delivery carrier either acting ignorantly or bad communication between carriers."

Actually when that happens, and it does, the problem has always been traced back to the seller NOT shipping to the Kentucky distribution centre as instructed by PayPal but to the buyer directly, bypassing GSP..

When shipping to the distribution centre, the goods are shipped by freight to Canada (Customs cleared by PB or its agent) and redistributed in Canada and delivered as domestic shipment.  As such. there cannot be any tax or duty charged and collected at time of delivery.

Message 4484 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification.

Peter
Toronto, Canada.
Message 4485 of 6,171
latest reply

Glad to see Pitney Bowes and eBay aren't ashamed of gouging Canadians. Amazon now ships anywhere in 2 days free. I am boycotting eBay seller using GSP. Not exactly a question but off all the ones posted I don't see an answer.

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

Message 4486 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm boycotting participating GSP eBay merchants.

Message 4487 of 6,171
latest reply

same here...

apart from ebay/GSP overcharging (obviously very few people ever do the math to find out the real costs for taxes + duties): trying to track parcels shipped via GSP is nothing but a nightmare. it appears that the cheapest couriers are used - such as canpar.

terrible.

Message 4488 of 6,171
latest reply

mypandy
Community Member

I quit using ebay awhile ago because all the sellers seemed to be using this horrible program. I came back recently to look for something and remembered, "Ah, this is why I don't use ebay anymore" because the GSP is still in place despite the obvious problems it causes for Canadian buyers.

I am left completely bewildered as to how ebay can justify not only adding an expense but also the time that is wasted. Ebay somehow thinks that adding fees and wasting time is something that buyers want and that they are the authority on what is suppose to be a transaction between Canadians and their government. Well, ebay can pound sand-I don't need any of these items that badly and will definitely not be using it as long as the GSP is in place.

Message 4489 of 6,171
latest reply

I totally agree that this GPS program is killing selling opportunities for US sellers to sell to Canadian or other foreign potential customers. We are paying shipping twice, plus the amount quoted on the listing isn't even accurate. I bought an item for $5.99 and ended up paying $26.00 for shipping. Which was even $3.50 than quoted in the lsting.I will NOT buy from any seller using the GPS program again. Please get rid of this program. US Sellers will be losing a lot of potential customers. 

Message 4490 of 6,171
latest reply

"I bought an item for $5.99 and ended up paying $26.00 for shipping."

What was the breakdown of the charges shown on the completed listing?

Winning Bid = ?

Shipping = ?

Import Charges = ?

Message 4491 of 6,171
latest reply

I avoid all sellers using GSP and much prefer USPS.

I would have made many more purchases if ebay would

either cancel or make opting out of GSP easier.

What is the point of this program when it only makes sales drop?

Why persist with a program that people are saying

they don't like? Is ebay listening to the buyers at all?

Amazon is starting to look good and may spell the end

of ebay if they do not listen to people asap.

Message 4492 of 6,171
latest reply

I am another buyer frustrated with the GSP. Tracking is just silly and no where near what one would expect from a modestly sophisticated system.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Can-t-really-track-global-shipping-program-Frustrated/m-p/...
Message 4493 of 6,171
latest reply

I just accidentally purchased an item from a seller that uses the GSP program. I have been avoiding ALL sellers that use it as it is an absolute rip off but I bid on an item not realizing it but honored my bid of course. The item I just won was $100 and by the time all the shipping charges and "import" charges the total comes to $172.

I have been an ebay user for 15 years and have never really had to pay much in terms of import charges here in Canada (maybe once or twice) and I have ordered from all over the world. Funny how most items from Hong Kong ship for free, you have to wait an extra week but it's better than paying $70 to ship a 100 dollar item that weighs about 2 pounds.

Hello Aliexpress and Amazon...see you later ebay! I'm done!

Message 4494 of 6,171
latest reply

$5.99 Wining bid

$13.00 paid to seller for shipping from NJ to Shipping centre in KY

$13.08 paid to Pittney Bowes for shipping to Canada

$0.00 Import was less than $20,00

Message 4495 of 6,171
latest reply

Was wondering what the listing showed you before you bid.

Even when there are no "import charges" PB will tack on $5 for just being involved.

Would be interesting to know if any of that $13.08 showed up before you bid.

Message 4496 of 6,171
latest reply

Add me to the ever-growing list of Canadian Buyers who

WILL NOT BE BIDDING ON ITEMS FROM US SELLERS WHO USE THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM.

Message 4497 of 6,171
latest reply

When I looked at original listing. It stated around $20 total for shipping with GPS program. It was not broken down on who would receive what until after you paid. BUT when I disputed the additional charge with Ebay. They stated it was only an estimate and it could range from $20-$28. That was never indicated in the listing and something you won't know until you complete purchase. So when you get charged the extra $5.50 or $6US, it works to almost $9 more CDN with Paypal exchange charges etc.. Ebay and Paypal were extremely uncooperative in refunding even the difference, because Ebay or Paypal would be losing money from this as there is no sellers account to take money from . As I saw it Buyer protection only applies to sellers, justified or not ,and not to Ebay or affiliates.

Message 4498 of 6,171
latest reply

Yeah - the conversion right now is just brutal - final price in Cdn $ after US-Cdn and PayPal fees are astounding.

Have been very leery about GSP - total price has always been too high.

Finally bid (and won) a GSP item because the shipping and import were surprisingly reasonable.

According to Tracking number it is being processed in KY - fingers crossed.

Message 4499 of 6,171
latest reply

mater721

GSP and Pitney-Bowes, as far as I am concerned, are a complete rip off.

I have received over 150 items through USPS/ Canada Post with never a problem and I guess over 90% with no custom fees.

Since GSP I have been sent 2 items. One received one lost( last week).

Pitney-Bowes uses Canpar. When I spoke on the phone today ,18/03/15, with PB they said that they get

a high number of complaints about Canpar. I asked why they use them and he couldn't say, well I guess

he's not management.

If I where PB I'd quit using Canpar.

GSP is absolutely unnecessary and a complete waste of money. I will never again buy from someone who lists that way,

although the first item of these two the GSP was not listed and only showed up after I had won the item.

I wish you luck. 

Message 4500 of 6,171
latest reply