Ebay jumping the gun on out for delivery and delivered parcels

jdj53
Community Member

I have my third out of country parcel green check marked as out for delivery and delivered when the parcel is still with Canada Post. This happened again yesterday with a purchase from the UK. Both Royal Mail and Canada Post show the item as in transit, not delivered. I'm not overly concerned as long as the parcel arrives, but I wonder what the ramifications would be if the parcel somehow never arrived, but ebay is showing it as delivered? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

mcrlmn
Community Member

eBay isn't jumping the gun, the mail service is.

eBay's data reflects submittions from the mail service or courier.

Though sometimes up to date, I've experienced many occasions where Canada Post's site shows a delivered order being delivered, yet eBay is showing, "Delivery delayed to next business day" or "Item in transit"; 2-3 days behind.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Strange then that Canada Post would submit to ebay, info that the parcel is out for delivery and delivered when it is still sitting in Mississauga and not showing as delivered on Canada Post or Royal Mail's websites? This seems to only occur with international parcels. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The last scan that shows on the Canada Post website may be in Mississauga but it doesn’t mean your item is “sitting there”. Tracking (obviously) isn’t real time. It’s just a record of the item’s movement and it shows where an item was scanned before it (we hope) moved to another point.

I’m no expert on this, but I get the impression that scan data isn’t processed instantly but is, rather, transmitted in batches, so in your case eBay may have received a batch of scan data that Canada Post has yet to transfer to its website.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Package finally moved from Mississauga to London yesterday. It took less time to ship from the UK to Canada, than it has taken to ship 100 miles in Canada. Still not delivered, five days after ebay marked it delivered.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Parcel arrived today from Canada Post, five days after ebay marked it as delivered.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply