Global Shipping Program

Hi,

In Canada, Ebay been a member since 90's.

Global shipping . This system disturbs me and I will not use this system when the listing shows it at the only option.

1) Shipping time Item shipped from seller to global Sept 18th,Global received package Sept.24 (in Kentucky It will be another two weeks on top of t5his before I receive it

2) duty and tax collection, the item was $30US about $40 CDN. Canada post just passes parcels valued at less then $100 strait thru no taxes etc.  The seller charges shipping, then global adds another shipping fee more then the original.  This is all a racket, never again, ebay better get it together, or they will loose me for good, have spent probably $>40k buying , discusting

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Global Shipping Program

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Under the proposed USMCA it's still $20 for items sent by mail, apparently,

Ummmmm.

Mail as opposed to courier? Or should we be saying "shipped"  not carried.

Because the cross border shopper gets a higher de minimus already, with some time constraints.

The GSP is courier based (Pitney Bowes). Either all the reporting I've read or the CBC reporter is wrong.

If I'm reading the CBC opinion piece correctly, casual imports sent by mail are still subject to the C$20 threshold as it applies to taxes.  Couriers are subject to the new C$40 threshold.

How the USMCA would affect the GSP is unclear to me as items generally travel as freight from Kentucky to the Canadian receiving hub.  We already know that at present, GSP-forwarded items with declared values of less than C$20 have "import charges" folded into the shipping charge rather than appearing as a separate line item.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Odd that the method of shipment would make a difference in the way import charges are applied.

And overly complicated.

Since the treaty has not been ratified by Canada, or the USA, or even Mexico, and since there will be a new government in Mexico soon (and one with a vastly different political orientation) as well as the mid-term elections next month in the USA, this whole thing may fall apart by Christmas.

Having attended journalism school, I tend to take most news stories with a grain of salt-- especially where numbers are involved.

There are too many clickbait stories where huge numbers are on closer examination spread over years or even decades, reported but not clarified.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Odd that the method of shipment would make a difference in the way import charges are applied.

And overly complicated.

Yup.  I'm guessing that the Input Tax Credits applicable to commercial shipments to recipients registered to collect GST/HST/PST may have something--though not a lot--to do with this discrepancy.

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Since the treaty has not been ratified by Canada, or the USA, or even Mexico, and since there will be a new government in Mexico soon (and one with a vastly different political orientation) as well as the mid-term elections next month in the USA, this whole thing may fall apart by Christmas.

Having attended journalism school, I tend to take most news stories with a grain of salt-- especially where numbers are involved.

There are too many clickbait stories where huge numbers are on closer examination spread over years or even decades, reported but not clarified.

I agree with both your points.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply