Global Shipping Program

Regarding  - Global Shipping Program - Myself and other Canadians that I have talked to will simply NOT BUY from any United States user that is using that program.  We search for sellers in Canada or U.S.  sellers that do not use the program.  

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Global Shipping Program

Aargh! Marnotom, please compare your first and second sentences. The first says that the PB fees INCLUDE taxes and duties. Second sentence contradicts that. Makes for bafflegab.

In addition the informative link for the GPS right above the pricing in the auction page says "Duties". If not import, what on earth does it mean. ? It means that if PB is not required to pay duty - which is for all electronics and used items, I must get some money back! That conclusively informative link also says that Paypal requires two payments - one for the item and shipping for the seller, the other for the "import fees". So why does Paypal give me one payment for the item, to go to the seller, and the other combining shipping and import fees to PB? The seller has no idea what is charged by the forwarder/trucker. BTW I live in Montreal, where PB has an office, but the truck is going to Missassauga, ON. So where is the truck, tracking should tell me.

And please stop sending me links to legal bumf, obviously noone at PB nor eBay is reading that.

Another BTW - it seems, from eBay.com chatroom, that US sourced items end up in PB UK, even if the actual destination is Germany. He end up paying duties into UK, and then again to Germany. No recourse to recover. Nice. How did eBay,  that started as a easy buy/ sell device to millions end up in such  **bleep**.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

"... and the majority of those horror stories are the products of either sellers or buyers not knowing what they're doing or not knowing what they don't know."

I think that adequately summarized about 98.5 per cent of the rage-fueled posts on ebay Community, period. Users who didn't know what to do, don't know what to do, don't know what they've done or what not to do, and what they should have done and then directing that anger and self-disgust outwards on to the world. 

We all learn things the hard way. The thing is that all the information one needs to avoid those painful lessons is already here on the Discussion Board and in the plentiful ebay Help Pages if only one takes the time to find it and read it. 

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

".... It means that if PB is not required to pay duty.... I must get some money back!"

Have you at any point taken the time to read the Terms and Conditions of using the Global Shipping Program? It's all spelled out. There is a point to all the links you've been given by experienced users here. Please refer to my previous post about how best to avoid situations users may find themselves in that are not to their liking.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

@latique101 wrote:

Aargh! Marnotom, please compare your first and second sentences. The first says that the PB fees INCLUDE taxes and duties. Second sentence contradicts that. Makes for bafflegab.

You're not reading closely enough.

First sentence:  You're paying "import charges" and not taxes and duties. 

Elaboration:  You're paying a fistful of money to Pitney Bowes for a variety of things that fall under what they term "import charges".  Part of the import charges are the taxes and duties (if applicable) that Pitney Bowes pays on your behalf.  You're paying Pitney Bowes back, but you're not paying the taxes and duty.

It's a bit like lending your car to your friend who tops up the tank at Petro Canada, paying with a credit card, and you pay them back in cash.  Your friend is the one who's going to be on record with Petro Canada and the credit card issuer as having paid the gas, the taxes, and so forth, not you.  Similar deal with GSP items.  Pitney Bowes will be on record as having imported the item into Canada and paid the taxes and duty owing.  

@latique101 wrote:

In addition the informative link for the GPS right above the pricing in the auction page says "Duties". If not import, what on earth does it mean. ? It means that if PB is not required to pay duty - which is for all electronics and used items, I must get some money back!

Now you're not making sense.   Many electronic items aren't subject to duty and as long as the seller lists the item in a way that the GSP-bot can figure out that it's duty-free in Canada, the import charges won't include a calculation for duty.  That laundry list of charges I think you found is just what might make up the import charges levied by Pitney Bowes.

Here are the additional charges for me in BC for a cell phone selling for US$240:

GSP.jpg

Pitney Bowes would be charged 5% GST on the phone, or US$12.  I pay them back the US$12 plus US$5.60 that goes towards various customs processing and clearance charges, as described in the laundry list.  Nothing is earmarked for duty.

@latique101 wrote:

So why does Paypal give me one payment for the item, to go to the seller, and the other combining shipping and import fees to PB? The seller has no idea what is charged by the forwarder/trucker. BTW I live in Montreal, where PB has an office, but the truck is going to Missassauga, ON. So where is the truck, tracking should tell me.

The Global Shipping Program is supposed to make selling to non-US (and non-UK) buyers as "easy" as shipping to a domestic US (and UK) buyer.  The seller receives payment for the item plus their shipping charge as they would for a sale to a domestic buyer, PB receives payment for the stuff they deal with.

As far as the freight truck goes, it takes less than twelve hours for it to go from Erlanger to a the Big Canada Post Mail Sorting Facility in Mississauga.  I don't see how items on that truck could be scanned while on that relatively short journey or why they'd need to be.

@latique101 wrote:

Another BTW - it seems, from eBay.com chatroom, that US sourced items end up in PB UK, even if the actual destination is Germany. He end up paying duties into UK, and then again to Germany. No recourse to recover. Nice. How did eBay,  that started as a easy buy/ sell device to millions end up in such  **bleep**.

There have been some complaints of that in the early days of the GSP, but the posters never followed up with more information that could have explained why that should have happened.  Flash forward to 2018 and situations of double sets of customs-related charges have been explained by sellers sending the item directly to the buyer and bypassing the GSP process entirely.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

This is fun. My poor cellphone arrived in Kentucky on the 18th. New tracking just arrived tells me that the GSP started processing on the 25th, and oops, they were late due to the cell needing review for dangerous goods (?). Last message, on 26th, at 16.37, says they are labeling the item.

Trouble is, I am writing this on 26th at 12.36 EST. Kentucky is in the same time zone, no? 

All best and godspeed for 2019, to GSP and all the helpers is this chat.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

@latique101 wrote:

.... Last message, on 26th, at 16.37, says they are labeling the item.

Trouble is, I am writing this on 26th at 12.36 EST. Kentucky is in the same time zone, no?

Does the message specify which time zone is being used?

Local or GMT?

GMT 16:37 would be 11:37am eastern

Trivia: Kentucky is split between the Eastern and Central Time zones.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

How does another country collect Import costs when they are actually Exporting items. Canada 

collects Import duty if they choose to do so. Items also get shipped twice once from seller and second time reshipped from Global 

JL Ont.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

@durango1941 wrote:

How does another country collect Import costs when they are actually Exporting items.

It doesn't.  In the case of the Global Shipping Program, the GSP pays the duty and taxes to the Canadian government.  What the GSP collects from the buyer is money that's supposed to repay the GSP.

@durango1941 wrote:

Items also get shipped twice once from seller and second time reshipped from Global 

JL Ont.

Yup.  That's how a forwarding service works.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 29 of 29
latest reply