Just got tricked for $400 of purchases by ebay

There's an active promo code in the toys & hobby category giving 20% off on your cart. 2 days ago it was including trading cards. I did tests and did read all terms. It was active and working.

So i purchased/built a cart of $400 past 2 days with the goal of using this coupon, ending december 1.

Then today i noticed they just randomly added excluding trading cards in their terms and condition. They changed their terms and removed the category... 

Just got tricked for $400. Seriously it's insane how we cannot trust this platform sometimes... Can't believe i just experienced that. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Contacted the support and they told me that no revision was made on the promo. That the 'Toy' category do not include 'Collectible card games'. But i know at 100% that they changed terms and added the exclusion: Toys (220): excluding Collectible Card Games (2536), today. It was not there previously. I suggested one of my buyers to use the coupon on one of my sales yesterday or two days ago. I just contacted him and he confirmed that he used the coupon, and discount was applied. Welcome to the eBay matrix. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Can confirm they definitely changed the terms. Support either lied to you, or some edit was made with no revision history and even the support team doesn't know. Either way it’s kinda bs.

I ran the tests as well and coupon was still working yesterday, but I realized today the "save $xx from this item" option disappeared under expensive cards, so I ran another test and it apparently stopped working, and I was here to see if anybody ran into the same issue.

I think they realized that it was a loophole for card purchases because some people bought a bunch just to flip; eBay would lose a lot of money because they only take ~14% from the transaction, but give you a 20% discount. Usually for cards they have the buy $100 for $15-20 off, which limits the amount of losses for them, which is fair.

Was planning on doing the exact same thing, but didn’t get to the make offers stage. I wasn't rushed since it was supposed to end Dec 1. I missed out on the 2 days the coupon worked for cards, but good thing I didn’t end up bidding/making offers higher than intended or I would have lost money.

Ebay should at least let you cancel your orders when they changed the terms like that. That is so unfair and sucks, man. Perhaps try calling in again, just show them this message and if they bother to send a message to my account, I'll vouch for you that it actually happened.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

sounds like a "he said, she said" scenario and the truth lies somewhere in between ... ebay rarely openely admits to its mistakes...eBay rarely takes responsibility for anything it says /or does when something goes awry..

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

They won't do anything they always add in terms at the end that they can change terms anywhen for any reason. So legally they give themself the right to do that. I mean i can cancel. Just extremly unethical and sketchy to change terms like this in the middle of the promo. Not the first time i experience it. Just that this time they drived me to spend $400 and changed terms after, while my orders were pending payment. 

I did not overpay anything but i had to pay $80 more than it was supposed to be. I grinded like a degen for 2 days. I clearly pushed on cards that i would not have pushed without the 20% off. 

My guess is that it was a mistake from the start. And trading cards category was not supposed to be eligible, from the start. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply