Mystery Box delivered to me from Intelcom

Today I had a box delivered to me from Intelcom. I hadn't ordered anything (from anywhere) recently but I opened it as it was addressed to me out of curiosity. It contained a DVD set and a book. There was no packing slip or anything else enclosed.

The label shows intelcom Shipped from: Shipping Manager, Gateway Road Mississauga (major distribution center here in Ontario) with no other info. It was addressed to me by name and address with wrong phone number under my address (203) area code as my number. I was going to call the number but decided against it as my husband said they may be fishing for more info to connect to my name so why let them see my phone.

I called intelcom customer service and they looked up the tracking number and said the shipper had requested it be sent to me so I asked can you tell me who the shipper was and they said Pitney Bowes. They don't have a number for Pitney Bowes but as we all know they were a long time partner in the Global Shipping program. Intel said to call them as they have done their part (delivered it to me even though it's not mine!). They didn't have a number for Pitney Bowes, should I just ignore this and keep package unless someone contacts me? Anyone have anything similar happen?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@msau4301 wrote:

Today I had a box delivered to me from Intelcom. I hadn't ordered anything (from anywhere) recently but I opened it as it was addressed to me out of curiosity. It contained a DVD set and a book. There was no packing slip or anything else enclosed.

The label shows intelcom Shipped from: Shipping Manager, Gateway Road Mississauga (major distribution center here in Ontario) with no other info. It was addressed to me by name and address with wrong phone number under my address (203) area code as my number. I was going to call the number but decided against it as my husband said they may be fishing for more info to connect to my name so why let them see my phone.

I called intelcom customer service and they looked up the tracking number and said the shipper had requested it be sent to me so I asked can you tell me who the shipper was and they said Pitney Bowes. They don't have a number for Pitney Bowes but as we all know they were a long time partner in the Global Shipping program. Intel said to call them as they have done their part (delivered it to me even though it's not mine!). They didn't have a number for Pitney Bowes, should I just ignore this and keep package unless someone contacts me? Anyone have anything similar happen?

At one point in time a normal reaction would be that it was from Amazon. Not likely if it was in a generic box.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/23/business/package-didnt-order-brushing/index.html

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/package-mail-dont-open-experts-130233890.html

Maybe it was  some sort of eBay Xmas present? Did you sign up for the  recent eBay Canada Open? Possibly connected to that. The one time I did a receive some "swag" there was no packing slip to signify where it was coming from. This was several years ago so out of the memory bank who it arrived from. After some research it turned out it was from eBay. Think it may be one of the above. At 1 point in a time a who the heck it was from was standard when shipping anything by courier which Intelcom would count as.

You could do a reverse lookup with google to check the phone number. Might give you more clues.

-Lotz

Packing slip included...Good!!! No packing slip....Bad!!!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks lotz, I had done that reverse look up and the number is Pitney Bowes out of Connecticut.

I was worried about the brushing thing too since I'd heard of it, and started googling. I saw articles showing some people were getting tons of deliveries every day (there was a photo of their porch!) so hoping that won't happen and it was a freak thing. I was out all morning but will try Pitney Bowes Mississauga office and see it I find out anything more.

Weird thing is I tried posting this on Saturday and it didn't show up until now, just adding to the strangeness.

But as long as no one is trying to charge me for anything I'll assume it's a freak occurance, if I start getting a bunch more items I'll be very concerned.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Have you looked up the tracking information yourself?  The Parcelsapp site is a "universal" tracking application that might be able to trace the item back to close to its source depending on how well linked the other legs of the shipment are.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks marnoI wondered about that link (I know you mentioned it before and it's great!), but it shows the same info I knew, started in Mississauga (Pitney Bowes), then went to intelcom, then delivered to me. I spoke to Pitney Bowes Mississauga and they said the are only a warehouse, shipping for other companys but can't tell me who in this case who original shipper was (or at least that's there story).

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hmm. 🤔 Was the shipping (address) label stuck on top of another shipping label?
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It contained a DVD set and a book

What was the DVD

And the Title of the book?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Prime Suspect Collection (Helen Mirren) DVD set and 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic book. Totally random.

No packing slip, only intelcom label. Haven't ordered anything online for at least a month or more.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Hmm. 🤔 Was the shipping (address) label stuck on top of another shipping label?

Nope, just the intelcom label with nothing underneath it. However, not sure if it's relevant but there is an old/worn/faded looking tracking only sticker on box and weird part is the new tracking number (which is part of shipping label itself) is the same number. Has me questioning if they used an old box with tracking number on it and made up a new label using that old number. Either way Pitney Bowes is the only phone number on label and the ones who produced this label, I just don't know who put in the request or why it was addressed to me.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

This so sounds like a Halloween "Trick"

"Prime Suspect Collection (Helen Mirren) DVD set and 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic book."

So, lets do a Vera

1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic book

Prime Suspect Collection (Helen Mirren) DVD

And no Address of origin for the package

The book represents a Pandemic (Death) and the other solving a crime (Mystery).

Maybe the book you received is 'Laced" with a deadly "Virus" (Not to be alarming), which would lead to a Mystery.

But, it is after all tonight...

Message 10 of 10
latest reply