Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

janinstoko0 is a different poster than jeanancato0, amcdc79.  At least I believe so.  Smiley Wink

janinstoko0, if your item was forwarded through the Global Shipping Program, you should be able to use the universal tracking number provided by Pitney Bowes and eBay.  It should start out with UPAA or something very close to it, and can be used at this website:

https://parceltracking.pb.com

Message 3041 of 3,104
latest reply

I have 2 orders that have been sitting for the last 4-5 days. One is at Erlanger and the other is at Hauppage. Are you able to figure out what the hold up is please? Thank you.
Message 3042 of 3,104
latest reply

This is a member to member board.

So, no.

It's Monday and the USA had a national holiday Friday.

itting for the last 4-5 days. One is at Erlanger

That is a GSP shipment.

It went to Erlanger, probably by USPS. There the USPS tracking stopped.

Is Hauppage in Rhode Island? That would indicate that it is moving by USPS only.

Don't be concerned about weird routes, all the shippers use a hub and spoke distribution system.

Also.

The tracking does not tell you where your item is.

It tells you the last place it was recorded.

Sure it says Hauppage-- but it could be in Tuktoyaktuk and until it is recorded again, you do not know.

EBay has excellent Buyer Protection.

You got an estimated window for arrival from eBay.

Has the last day passed yet?

Message 3043 of 3,104
latest reply

I won a bid for a total of $991.47 including import charges.

I've been charged $934.54 and $89.83 on my visa card for a total of $1024.37.

Ebay are not helping or understanding at all...

The first transaction is supposed to include item+shipping ($934.54) and the second one, import charges ($54.48).

I've been charged for item+domestic leg+international leg ($934.54) and import charges+international leg a 2nd time ($89.83).

I payed directly with ebay and nobody seems to understand that I paid 32$ more than the total I agreed to...

Message 3044 of 3,104
latest reply

Check the tracking on the shipment.

It is possible that your seller did not send it to Erlanger and the GSP plant, but shipped directly to you via USPS.

I payed directly with ebay

Do you mean you used your credit card? The payment would still be processed by Paypal, since eBay is 'only a venue' and does not deal with payments.

Or did you pay through your Paypal account which is backed by your credit card?

Message 3045 of 3,104
latest reply

@mathbeaulieu wrote:

I won a bid for a total of $991.47 including import charges.

I've been charged $934.54 and $89.83 on my visa card for a total of $1024.37.

Ebay are not helping or understanding at all...

The first transaction is supposed to include item+shipping ($934.54) and the second one, import charges ($54.48).

I've been charged for item+domestic leg+international leg ($934.54) and import charges+international leg a 2nd time ($89.83).

I don't think you have.

The charge breakdown is:  1.  The seller's charges  2.  The charges Pitney Bowes (DBA the GSP) adds.  This means that your first charge is just for the item plus the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky.  Pitney Bowes' charge is for the international leg plus the import charges.

Complicating things slightly is the fact that eBay listings use an approximate exchange rate based strictly on market rates, which is not the exchange rate that PayPal uses or your credit card issuer, for that matter, if you chose to have your credit card issuer handle the currency conversion.  I'd say the 3% or so difference in what you were charged can be accounted by the exchange rate used.

By the way, if you're unsure about the seller's charge for shipping your item to Kentucky, go back to the listing page and change the shipping destination to USA ZIP code 41025.  That should bring that charge up and you can double-check PayPal to see if the math makes more sense.

Message 3046 of 3,104
latest reply

Community Member

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this question has been answered in previous posts, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to go back 153 pages searching for it...lol.  I did a lookup with keywords and didn't come up with anything...so I apologize in advance if it's been asked and answered.

I made a purchase on eBay and the GSP was used.  The seller uploaded a tracking number that did not start with the usual UPAAB000000...like my recent (or older) purchases that used the GSP.  When I click on it, nothing shows up.  I randomly searched online and tracked that number through USPS and I guess this tracking was just for the seller's reference.  It shows "delivered" to ERLANGER, KY.  I know this is one of the shipping hubs (not sure what to call it) that sellers would ship their packages to...and then the program would take over from there.  What concerns me is that I've read that the GSP is actually a program that protects the sellers and once it has been delivered to KY, it's no longer the seller's problem.  Is that true?

I contacted the seller and they said that they were only given that tracking number but would be on the lookout if they were updated with any new info.

It's probably still early to be worried because they just shipped out my package on the 17th.  But since the tracking they uploaded was updated to "delivered" today, I don't recall what the estimated delivery time frame was and it's not there anymore.  I remember leaving feedback for other sellers and one of the questions were along the lines of...was it delivered by the estimated delivery date.  I checked it for this transaction and the date listed is NOV 15...two days BEFORE the seller even shipped out my package...lol

With the Black Friday and (cyber Monday?) and the holidays coming up...I am just wondering how long should I wait for my package for, before bothering the seller again...

This is the first time I've been provided with a tracking number that does not start with the usual UPAXX000000...

Usually through those tracking numbers, I would be informed of the whereabouts of my package from (I assume...lol) beginning to end...with a new tracking number to be delivered by Canada Post.  And recently, not all these tracking numbers through the GSP that I've gotten are updating properly so...

Any suggestions as to what I should do for the moment?

Would waiting it out until the end of this month be good enough before taking the next step?

Many thanks. 

Message 3047 of 3,104
latest reply

@5274646 wrote:

I made a purchase on eBay and the GSP was used.  The seller uploaded a tracking number that did not start with the usual UPAAB000000...like my recent (or older) purchases that used the GSP.  When I click on it, nothing shows up.  I randomly searched online and tracked that number through USPS and I guess this tracking was just for the seller's reference.  It shows "delivered" to ERLANGER, KY.  I know this is one of the shipping hubs (not sure what to call it) that sellers would ship their packages to...and then the program would take over from there.  What concerns me is that I've read that the GSP is actually a program that protects the sellers and once it has been delivered to KY, it's no longer the seller's problem.  Is that true?

The tracking number you received was for the leg of the item's journey that's the seller's responsibility:  from their location to the Global Shipping Center (hub) in Kentucky.  Once the item is delivered to the hub and accepted by the Global Shipping Center, it becomes the responsibility of Pitney Bowes (administrators of the GSP) to get the item to you.

The seller can't upload a UPAA tracking number because that's generated by Pitney Bowes.  If you haven't received another email from eBay with that number on it, check for it under your recent purchases under "My eBay".

@5274646 wrote:

It's probably still early to be worried because they just shipped out my package on the 17th.  But since the tracking they uploaded was updated to "delivered" today, I don't recall what the estimated delivery time frame was and it's not there anymore. 

I'm not sure what you mean that your estimated delivery timeframe is "not there anymore".  Not where?  Where are you checking?  The listing page should still be up.  Check that.  It may be with your tracking number when you look up your item under "My eBay".  Check that, too.  Also see if you received another email from eBay as noted earlier.

And just to reiterate, that "delivered" status means that the item has reached the GSP delivery hub (Global Shipping Center).

@5274646 wrote:

Usually through those tracking numbers, I would be informed of the whereabouts of my package from (I assume...lol) beginning to end...with a new tracking number to be delivered by Canada Post.  And recently, not all these tracking numbers through the GSP that I've gotten are updating properly so...

Any suggestions as to what I should do for the moment?

Would waiting it out until the end of this month be good enough before taking the next step?

I used to be a real tracking geek until the day I realized that all tracking tells me is what I already know:  I have or haven't received my item.  Tracking doesn't even tell me where the item actually is.  It only tells me the last place it was scanned.  It's not real-time. I have to let my imagination run riot to have any sort of idea where it is at any moment in time.

At this point I would focus on trying to get that delivery timeframe up, because you have up to 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery to file a claim with eBay for a not-received item should you, well, not receive it.  If for whatever reason you can't get that info, I'd follow something pretty close to your own advice and wait about three weeks to a month from the date that the item was shipped out before taking that "next step".

Hope this all makes sense.

Message 3048 of 3,104
latest reply

The tracking number you received was for the leg of the item's journey that's the seller's responsibility:  from their location to the Global Shipping Center (hub) in Kentucky.  Once the item is delivered to the hub and accepted by the Global Shipping Center, it becomes the responsibility of Pitney Bowes (administrators of the GSP) to get the item to you.

I thought so.  I don't usually get this number...this part I understand...this tracking number was not meant for me...lol

The seller can't upload a UPAA tracking number because that's generated by Pitney Bowes.  If you haven't received another email from eBay with that number on it, check for it under your recent purchases under "My eBay".

I'm just confused and curious as to how other sellers manage to update me with a UPAA number right when they mark my package to "shipped" (under purchase history)...so does eBay upload the generated UPAA number from Pitney Bowes?  Or Pitney Bowes update the seller with the UPAA tracking?  Just wondering 😃

I'm not sure what you mean that your estimated delivery timeframe is "not there anymore".  Not where?  Where are you checking?  The listing page should still be up.  Check that.  It may be with your tracking number when you look up your item under "My eBay".  Check that, too.  Also see if you received another email from eBay as noted earlier.

Ah, that's where I usually see/get the UPAA tracking numbers from...under purchase history.  And the line above that...it would list the esimated delivery like (for example) Tue, Nov 21- Thu, Nov 30.  But since I was given another tracking number (like you mentioned, tracking regarding the seller's responsibility)...it was updated to "delivered on Nov. 20, 2017"...so my original "estimated delivery" has been replaced with the "date of delivery" for that tracking.  The original listing only gives me a "Delivers within 6-10 days after seller ships item"...

I used to be a real tracking geek until the day I realized that all tracking tells me is what I already know:  I have or haven't received my item.  Tracking doesn't even tell me where the item actually is.  It only tells me the last place it was scanned.  It's not real-time. I have to let my imagination run riot to have any sort of idea where it is at any moment in time.

LOL...that's weird...I thought it was "real-time" enough for me.  I actually like tracking my things because I think it's nice to know where my package is leaving and heading to...when I get an updated tracking number upon arrival in Canada, I start tracking through Canada Post until I see a specific delivery day and love it when it also says "item out for delivery"...it let's me know that when someone rings my doorbell...I need  to run to the door quick before they leave lol

AND GUESS WHAT?!  LOL...I never thought to check my emails from eBay.  I did and I found the estimated delivery date to be Sat. 18 Nov. - Thu. 23 Nov.   But still no sign of the UPAA number...I guess I should just be patient...for now...haha

Many thanks again!

Message 3049 of 3,104
latest reply

@5274646 wrote:

I'm just confused and curious as to how other sellers manage to update me with a UPAA number right when they mark my package to "shipped" (under purchase history)...so does eBay upload the generated UPAA number from Pitney Bowes?  Or Pitney Bowes update the seller with the UPAA tracking?  Just wondering 😃

If you're still wondering at this point, Pitney Bowes supplies eBay with the UPA tracking number.  There are instances where sellers have had no idea that their item has had the GSP automatically applied by eBay and they have no idea that their item is ultimately bound for a non-US destination.

Message 3050 of 3,104
latest reply

thal_73
Community Member

I bought the item and it was confirmed to be paid but almost one week, the item has not been shipped.

i sent email to seller but noreply

i want to sent the email to eBay to ask support but I cannot find it

Message 3051 of 3,104
latest reply

Did eBay give you a window for delivery of your item?

With the GSP, the window is usually about 14 days.

When the window closes, you have 30 days to open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

i sent email to seller but noreply

Then you can skip the first suggestion in the Dispute (contact seller) because you already did that.

Ask eBay to step in -- this is all on a form, no human beings are harmed-- and escalate to a Claim.

State in the Claim that this is a GSP shipment.

If the seller cannot prove delivery to the GSP and the GSP cannot prove delivery to you (and that's delivery, not shipping) you will be refunded.

One oddity with the GSP, if the item later turns up, they don't want it back.

Again this is all robots and while problems actually are rare (there are 140 million transactions daily on eBay, so even 100,000 problems would still count as rare), this is normal and easily handled.

If eBay didn't give you a window, it's because the seller has not shipped (probably).

Try to open the eBay dispute, but if you are not able to go to your Paypal account.

The PP ResolutionCentre is under Tools at the top of your PP account page.

The system is the same, but PP allows Disputes to be opened after payment for a full 180 days .

If you are still having problems, come back and ask for more help.

You could even put a new question under Buyer Central where you would get more responses.

GSP is kinds repetitive and most of us busybodies posters are bored with it.

Message 3052 of 3,104
latest reply

Do US sellers know how much the GSP adds to buyers’ bids? And what gives eBay and PitneyBowes the right to collect import taxes if the importing country chooses not to? Where is the financial disclosure to show that the “import duties” PitmeyBowes collects are paid to the country of importation?
Message 3053 of 3,104
latest reply

@winton04 wrote:

Do US sellers know how much the GSP adds to buyers’ bids?

Unless they look at their own listing and change the destination country to a GSP country, they won't.  Remember, the GSP forwards items to about 100 different countries and the amount the GSP adds in shipping costs and import charges will differ for all of them.  Heck, they differ within Canada, too.

@winton04 wrote:

And what gives eBay and PitneyBowes the right to collect import taxes if the importing country chooses not to? 

According to the terms and conditions page you agree to when you purchase an item that's forwarded through the GSP, Pitney Bowes Inc. pays taxes and duty on your behalf.  Part of the "import charges" are you paying them back to PBI.

@winton04 wrote:

Where is the financial disclosure to show that the “import duties” PitmeyBowes collects are paid to the country of importation?

Pitney Bowes doesn't collect.  Pitney Bowes pays.

But if you're concerned about financial disclosure, consider that you pay HST or PST and GST on items you purchase from a brick and mortar store.  How do you know that store is remitting those taxes to government(s)?

Message 3054 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi I am trying to find out just why that I have to pay shipping TWICE for a article that I purchased the invoice said shipping at one price and then I get an other charge to my credit card for shipping from global shipping so what is this looks like you are doing double dipping at my expense and I am not very happy with the way you do business paying twice for shipping maybe some one there can explain this to me

Thank You

403*smith

Message 3055 of 3,104
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
403*Smith, the Global Shipping Program is more like a glorified forwarding service.

The first shipping charge is from the seller for sending the item from their location to Pitney Bowes' Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.

The second shipping charge is from Pitney Bowes for shipping the item from Kentucky to your location.
Message 3056 of 3,104
latest reply

And PBI is charging you 'import fees' which cover not only shipping to your doorstep, but a sum that cover the Canadian duty and Canadian sales tax you are required to pay on imports.

Mostly sales taxes.

And then a $5 service fee which covers customs brokerage.

Message 3057 of 3,104
latest reply

One of my main complaints regarding the GSP, is not being able to combine items to save on shipping.

It has been mentioned that we(buyers) can now do that.

Could someone please explain how to do that.

Tia.

Message 3058 of 3,104
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Sorry to be so late to the party, amcdc79.

If you haven't found the answer on this thread already, the key words you're looking for are "shopping cart".

To get you started, here is a thread from the .com site's discussion board that explains this in a small nutshell:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Hub/GSP-amp-Combined-Shipping/td-p/27150504
Message 3059 of 3,104
latest reply

I am a collector of autographed guitars. i recently had tried to purchase 3 and when they were shipped through the global shipping program the ended up being held in customs for a week or more. when they were finally released i had received a notice saying my payment had been refunded and the item was being held. is there a way around this. the sellers have been getting angry because they loose their item as well. any help would be appreciated 

Message 3060 of 3,104
latest reply