Refusing a delivery

Hello everyone I making a post because I try contacting eBay but they customer service by phone is is not operational apparently. So I bought this item couple of day ago but I then realize it would not work for what I want to do but the seller sends by the global shipping program.  My question is if I refuse the package at delivery. Will it return to the sender or eBay will destroy the product or put for auction. The package was sent from USA to Canada. 

Thank you for taking your time to help me!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Refusing a delivery

If you refuse the package at delivery, you forfeit your buyer protection. So you won't get a refund. My advice would be to accept the package and see if the seller will accept a return.

If not, you can always try to sell it yourself or donate it to a friend.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

The talked with the seller on his listing it say no return but he would accept to refund me if return to him. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @vasvassaphili - please do not refuse the package, that will invalidate your coverage in the eBay Money Back Guarantee program in most cases. 

Instead, if you have already paid I'd suggest you work with the seller to return the item after it is delivered. You would need to arrange return shipping back to the seller directly, but once it is returned to them you would receive a refund.

If you have not yet paid, contact the seller and let them know that you'd like to cancel the transaction.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

When you make the return, remember that the "Import fees" were paid to GSP, not to CBSA.

GSP pays CBSA from the import fees.

So you would not get those back if you return the item to your seller.

Your best bet financially, would be to start a Buyer Remorse claim stating that the item was shipped via GSP.

The GSP has been good about refunding. They don't want the item back so it's up to you to dispose of it.

In a Buyer Remorse situation, the buyer pays for return shipping.

So.

If you ship back to the seller.

You get your money back including import fees from GSP. You pay return shipping to the seller.

The seller keeps the payment they received and gets the item to resell.

GSP which paid duty and sales taxes as well as their costs for shipment is out all of those costs.

Or you could keep it and resell in on eBay or a local classified site.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

What if the person doesn't accept return? 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

It can be a little confusing so I want to clarify how it works.  As others mentioned, refusing the package cancels your right to buyer protection and you wouldn't receive any refund at all. Plus, a gsp package would be sent back to the gsp depot in Ontario and would never go back to the seller.

With a gsp sale, import fees and international fees are returned to the buyer in situations where the wrong item was sent, item wasn't as described, broken etc. Those fees are NOT returned for buyers remorse.  In your case it is a buyers remorse return and unless the item gets lost before it reaches you or is damaged, neither the seller or the gsp is at fault.

If you open a return case and the seller does accept the return, you will be responsible for return shipping and for a buyers remorse return, you wouldn't receive the international shipping portion or the import fees back. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

It's my best option to accept the package and communicate buyer if on his listing was NO RETURN?
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

There really is no best option at this point.  You said in post 3 that you talked to the seller and they would accept the return...or did I misunderstand?   Even if their listing states no returns you can still request a return and if the seller accepts the return then they are committed to refunding your money for the item only once they receive it back.

In my opinion refusing the return is your worst option because you would receive zero dollars back and you wouldn't have the item. 

Best case scenario would be if the item was damaged in transit because the gsp had repackaged it in Kentucky and it wasn't repackaged well. In that case you would file return request for an item not as described stating that it was damaged in transit and was shipped by the gsp. IF the gsp determined that the damage was their fault you would be refunded in full and could do whatever you wanted with the item.  I don't know if the item will be repacked for sure though or if it is something that is damaged easily so chances of that happening may be slim.

If the item was not as described because of something the seller did then it would have to be sent back at the sellers expense and you would be refunded in full. But unless they really did something wrong, they shouldn't be out the shipping and the item because of your mistake.

If it something that you can sell yourself that might be your best option.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

Yes the seller would accept the return.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

Most sellers who say No Returns think it means No Refunds.

It is quite possible for a buyer to end up with both a full refund AND the unwanted item.

The GSP makes this even more complicated.

And keep in mind you did not do your due diligence when you ordered and paid for an item that would not work for you.

Because of the GSP, you will likely lose money on this transaction, even if it is just the duty and sales taxes paid by GSP on your behalf.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you open a return case and the seller does accept the return, you will be responsible for return shipping and for a buyers remorse return, you wouldn't receive the international shipping portion or the import fees back. 

I am not so sure about that last part. When you open a return request for NAD, it opens 2 cases. Now that the process is the same for any reason, I think if the reason is buyer's remorse, it will also open 2 cases too.

But I never had to test the buyer's remorse reason, so I may be wrong.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

What do you mean it opens 2 cases?  I’ve never opened a gsp claim but I’ve read about tons of them and no one has mentioned that.  What does it show you when you open a gsp nad claim?

According to the gsp user agreement, they don’t support returns (which refers to buyers remorse returns vs a mbg return) and don’t return the fees paid to them. ,

https://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

International Returns. The returns policy specified by your Seller in his/her listing description of a GSP Item will apply to your purchase of the GSP Item. For GSP Items located in the United States that you purchase under GSP and that you return to your Seller, you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, a refund of any Program Fees that you paid to Pitney Bowes and Pitney Bowes will not be responsible for shipping the GSP Item back to your Seller. Your rights under local law will not be affected.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

If you open a claim via PayPal it will also create a claim for PBI fees. However for eBay there is no ability to do so, I believe  you have to contact eBay and they can issue a credit or something, but that credit is kinda an "exception" not the rule.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

What is PBI?
Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

Even the seller said no return?
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

@retroman_studios 

When a buyer wins a not as described claim for a gsp item they should be refunded their fees regardless of where the claim was opened. I have heard though that sometimes the system misses that it is a gsp claim and has to be prodded to refund everything properly.  This seems to have been more true with PP claims so  perhaps they have changed  something.  Did you recently open a gsp claim on PP?

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

PBI is Pitney Bowes.  They are the company that receive the custom fees and international shipping fees for a gsp shipment

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

Pitney Bowes International is the company that runs the GSP for eBay.

Even the seller said no return?

While sellers are allowed to refuse returns, they are not allowed to refuse refunds.

If you have a problem with a purchase, go ahead and open an Item Not As Described dispute.

If the seller does not demand the return, which is his right even if he says No Returns, when tracking shows he has it back, you will be refunded.

If he does not demand the return, the buyer is still refunded, but now has to figure out what to do with the unwanted purchase.

The only question is who will pay for the return.

With Buyer Remorse*, the buyer pays for return shipping.

With Seller Error/Damage in Transit/etc, the seller pays for return shipping.

*Paypal insists that the buyer pay for return shipping, and refunds on proof of delivery.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Refusing a delivery

While sellers are allowed to refuse returns, they are not allowed to refuse refunds.

Sellers ARE allowed to refuse refunds/returns with a buyers remorse return request.  At this point, the original poster is talking about a buyers remorse return as they have realized they ordered the wrong thing but haven’t received the package yet.   But the seller has already said that they will accept a return in this case even though the listing said no returns 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply