Tracking number hasn't updated at all after receving the item.

Got a letter mail containing a trading card and was provided with a tracking number. The order is from France and a seller with over 10,000 feedback score so they seem reputable.

It was sent using La Poste and the tracking number is stuck on "Your item has been handed over to La Poste by the sender." for 11 days now and hasn't been updated or moved at all after this.

The main reason why I had thought this order would have problems before even purchasing this item is that the card should be worth about 10 EUR but it only cost 3 EUR and 2 EUR shipping so it's possible they just didn't ship it.

Another hypothesis about what's going on is that this type of tracking number might only track that the letter has been picked up by the post office and then delivered. As in, it won't track its international journey and all of its stops and only the beginning and end of its journey. The tracking number does say "TYPE OF DELIVERY Your item will be delivered to your address. It will require a signature on delivery.".

Anyone ever experienced something like this before?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

marnotom!
Community Member

I’m confused. If you’ve received the item, what’s the problem? How does the lack of delivery confirmation affect your ability to use the item in the manner you wish?

Or are you referring to the post office receiving the item?  It still doesn't matter what the tracking says or doesn't say.  The important thing is receiving your item within the time frame and in the condition specified in the listing page.  Everything else is gravy. 

I used to be an obsessive tracking geek until I realized that we buyers have been oversold on the value of tracking.  98% of the time there's no point in knowing what's going on with your item between points A and B.  Your item is likely going by international registered mail which gets unpredictable handling once it leaves the country of origin.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Most Registered lettermail/letterpost will not have online tracking outside of it's original country.

Last registered mail I had from Switzerland took about 5 weeks to arrive (no online tracking after the start) with signature on arrival.

-;-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

If the Seller is faced with a Not Received claim, they give the tracking number which proves delivery to eBay's satisfaction.

Registered Mail, which seems to be what your seller used, was a waste of money on his part, because it is only used by the registering postal service, not by those of other nations.*

If you were profoundly unethical, you could claim non-delivery and be refunded. This is a chance sellers take believing that most people are honest.

But you aren't and you won't, because you are ethical.

There is no benefit from tracking for (ethical) buyers.

It doesn't move the package any faster.
It doesn't protect the package from damage in transit.

It may signal a porch pirate that there is something valuable enough to track in an unattended package.

Tracked shipping is much more expensive than untracked and the Buyer pays shipping costs.

*Yes, this is a change of practice since the turn of the millennium. It was done at the Universal Postal Union level.  For international tracking, the newer, "bar-coded" services have taken its place.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply