Why does everyone rave about Amazon ? I'm done with Amazon

I have heard lots of great things about Amazon and lots of people swear by them but I have had nothing but bad experiences and I'm done with them. Ebay has been great and let me share some of my thoughts.

First of all, Amazon's website is an eyesore, and it hurts to even scroll around there. The pictures on ebay are more abundant, I:E they post more than one picture of the product, and generally at higher resolutions.

My last 3 transactions with Amazon have all gone sideways, either a product not advertised correctly or not showing up at all. Sure I have had maybe 2 or 3 small mishaps on Ebay but in the last 55 transactions not 3. They have been good with refunding my money but once and awhile I actually want the product I order.

Ebay is the place you can find cool finds, not just mainstream stuff. Amazon is the Walmart of online. With ebay you can find collectables and antiques and cool stuff, not just the latest blue-ray or sports watch ( although you can find that on ebay too. )

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

ay656
Community Member

The things I buy on eBay often cannot be bought in local stores, or anywhere else in Canada. I could order from US retailers, but they often ship with UPS and alike, which is expensive and they may also charge huge extortion fees at the border. So, I try to avoid ordering from the US as much as I can.

Amazon typically doesn't sell anything that cannot be bought at local stores at lower prices. So, I use them only for books and DVDs. Although their shipping is very good.

eBay is the best bet, except the shipping from China to Canada is broken, so it is not an option any more 😞

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

We are well served in Victoria by independent local bookstores, so Amazon is not useful to me.

And CDs or DVDs are not a big item for me anyway.

I had one frustrating experience with AZ trying to get a refund on a book that never was delivered, and that was enough.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply