how much is a book bought at ebay uk likely to cost in import and duty fees?

when I ordered 2 books from my country Greece. I didn't have to pay any. But not sure if they charge for ebay stuff. Any idea? have you canadians ever bought anything from ebay uk?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere in threads in reply to you, the de minimus for import by mail into CAD for MOST items is $20 CAD. Meaning that you potentially pay sales tax on anything valued at more than $20. Books may be ineligible for de minimus, I remember that but I can’t be sure.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I get that. But how much am I likely to pay? a 100? more than that?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Sales tax plus a handling fee.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Have a look yourself,

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

There is also brokerage fees, Canada Post is $9.95, the couriers are more, and it varies depending on the value of the item(s).

Sometimes a package will come through with nothing added, just be prepared to pay every time, and count your blessings when you don't.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere in threads in reply to you, the de minimus for import by mail into CAD for MOST items is $20 CAD. Meaning that you potentially pay sales tax on anything valued at more than $20. Books may be ineligible for de minimus, I remember that but I can’t be sure.

You're correct.  Books do not qualify for the C$20 tax/duty-free exemption.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

Books are, however, exempt from PST and the provincial portion of HST.  I don't believe they incur duties.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply